Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Durango
Vessel Name: Elaine May
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Monk 36 waste tank monitoring, any ideas

Need some advice about monitoring the level of waste in my fiberglass black water holding tank on a monk 36 trawler. The boat didnít come with a monitor system, has anyone installed a system. I would like to have a monitor rather than timing or guessing when the tank needs pump out. Any advice is appreciated

Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
I would like to have a monitor rather than timing or guessing when the tank needs pump out. Any advice is appreciated
IMO, the simplest monitoring system (and the best!) is the Scad system. No moving parts, nothing to install inside the tank & dirt simple wring. For a fiber glass waste tank, you cannot beat the SCAD system!

https://www.emarineinc.com/SCAD-SOLO...Monitor-System
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAD.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	93882  

Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
I've only had it installed for a few weeks, but when I put my new tank in, I went with the Blue Sea ultrasonic setup. It does have to be installed into the top of the tank, but there are no moving parts.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
IMO, the simplest monitoring system (and the best!) is the Scad system. No moving parts, nothing to install inside the tank & dirt simple wring. For a fiber glass waste tank, you cannot beat the SCAD system!

https://www.emarineinc.com/SCAD-SOLO...Monitor-System

4 years on mine so far and flawless operation.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I agree with the others above who recommend the Scad external tank monitor.

However, I would suggest you consider buying it from the developer directly. It will save you a few bucks and may (although Iím only guessing) provide more profit back to the developer, Dennis Ferriello. When I bought mine I chatted with he and his wife on the phone. Seem like an awfully nice couple.

https://www.ferriellosales.com/monitoring-systems.html

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: AR
I've known Dennis and Deane for 25 years and you're right Dave, they are a VERY nice couple...which is why it saddens me to tell you that I've known for several years that Dennis has had some ever-worsening health issues. I learned from his wife Deane this week that she's finally had to place him in a memory care facility. Deane is still taking orders-and very capable of doing so, but she's referring all tech support questions to Dave Davis at New Providence Marine newprovidencemarine which has always been the design and production side of Ferriello Sales.

How long this arrangement will work out remains to be seen, but as of now I can still recommend ordering direct from Ferriello Sales for a lower price than SCAD charges for their private label version of the same Profile systems.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sea strainer for forward head ??

I noticed that my aft head was carrying what looks like leaves, slime, etc when flushed. Wow that stuff is going into my holding tank too. To my surprise I donít have a strainer between the head and the thru hull valve. My question is, should there be one, I think it would help keep discharge and tank cleaner. Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Guru

City: AR
Be glad it IS going into your tank instead of clogging up you toilet pump or intake line...or worse yet, doesn't include any dead animal sea life that's died and decayed in your intake line!

If you're regularly in shallow waters that have a lot of bottom vegetation--which means there's also a lot of animal sea life too--you definitely need a strainer. It needs to be installed ABOVE the waterline as close to the thru-hull as practical and still put it in an location that's accessible for cleaning it.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Dual thanks everyone

Thanks for all the suggestions for tank monitoring systems a also recommendation for sea strainer and installation tips(Head Mistriss). You got me excited about some new projects and Iím looking forward to installing both black tank and fresh water tank monitor and also a sea water strainer on aft head supply.

Thanks again, flat seas and light breezes..

Coalman

MOA hull 179
MTOA 6843
Old 09-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I've known Dennis and Deane for 25 years and you're right Dave, they are a VERY nice couple...which is why it saddens me to tell you that I've known for several years that Dennis has had some ever-worsening health issues. I learned from his wife Deane this week that she's finally had to place him in a memory care facility. Deane is still taking orders-and very capable of doing so, but she's referring all tech support questions to Dave Davis at New Providence Marine newprovidencemarine which has always been the design and production side of Ferriello Sales.

Iím very sorry to hear that. When I spoke to them, Dennis did pass me off to his wife pretty quickly after he answered my questions about what I would need for my system. I got the feeling that he didnít feel confident in taking name, address, CC information etc... for the actual order. He never had any problem answering the technical questions on his product however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote