Old 01-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Watermaker decision

I am looking at watermakers and three brands with similar products are FCI, Sea Recovery, and US Watermaker. The features I am looking at include semi-automation but require user input to set the pressure. It's boat show season and all are offering specials. The one negative is that Sea Recovery uses proprietary filters and membranes. The others do not. US watermaker is less well known, but they have a good product and are available for advice and help. All three are competitively priced. How to choose? What are your experiences with these brands?
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I am looking at these, a US/ Canadian company working out of Ontario and NYS.

Marine Smart Energy

They also have nice alternator upgrades.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Watermaker decision

If you want to keep things simple and affordable the leader of the pack IMO uses all off the shelf parts and technology. Nothing is proprietary.

http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/WaterMakers.html

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
Guru

One limitation is the membrane tubes need to be less than 40". That's why some brands are not being considered for the GPD volume I need.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
If you want to keep things simple and affordable the leader of the pack IMO uses all off the shelf parts and technology. Nothing is proprietary.

Yacht & Boat Water Maker by Cruise RO Water & Power
Crusty Chief has one of these and I was very impressed. I will be buying a 40PH unit at the boat show.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
OK, what is semi automatic operation where you set the pressure manually??

To run a watermaker "manually" you...

1. Turn on the boost pump
2. Turn on the High Pressure Pump
3. Set the pressure at the membranes by turning a valve.

I'm another happy Cruise Ro customer BTW...
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Crusty Chief has one of these and I was very impressed. I will be buying a 40PH unit at the boat show.
40 GPH and all off the shelf parts for the Cruise RO, and the customer service is fantastic. The membranes with fittings are 45" long. Best part is it's modular.

Good luck!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK, what is semi automatic operation where you set the pressure manually??

To run a watermaker "manually" you...

1. Turn on the boost pump
2. Turn on the High Pressure Pump
3. Set the pressure at the membranes by turning a valve.

I'm another happy Cruise Ro customer BTW...
Semi automatic likely refers to auto switching of the product water to the tank once salinity levels are below a certain level and I know that the US Watermaker automatically performs a fresh water flush when the machine is turned off.

In the scheme of things the US Watermaker is pretty simple. Parts are all off the shelf with the exception of the "semi automation" control panel and if that failed, it could easily be bypassed...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
Guru

Automatic fresh water flush, auto salinity test and diverter, one button startup and shut down. Also remote monitoring and control. The brands i am looking at call these semi-automatic vs their fully automatic versions where it sets the pressure automatically and has other control features. So I have looked at the cruise RO models and their videos online. They are well priced and folks are happy with them but the membrane tubes are too large for the space.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Semi automatic likely refers to auto switching of the product water to the tank once salinity levels are below a certain level and I know that the US Watermaker automatically performs a fresh water flush when the machine is turned off.

In the scheme of things the US Watermaker is pretty simple. Parts are all off the shelf with the exception of the "semi automation" control panel and if that failed, it could easily be bypassed...
Bruce
OK, now I understand.

Just so folks that are unfamiliar can understand...

When you first start up a watermaker the produced water is still salty for a couple of minutes. In practicality you wait a couple of minutes, then either test the water or just have a taste of it.

Then you turn a valve sending the water to your tank.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Guru

Ah yes, the smell of a just started watermakers product water...
First time I smelled that I almost vomited!
That and the smell of the filters when servicing the things.
Amazing isn't it?
Bruce
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #12

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I am looking at watermakers and three brands with similar products are FCI, Sea Recovery, and US Watermaker. The features I am looking at include semi-automation but require user input to set the pressure. It's boat show season and all are offering specials. The one negative is that Sea Recovery uses proprietary filters and membranes. The others do not. US watermaker is less well known, but they have a good product and are available for advice and help. All three are competitively priced. How to choose? What are your experiences with these brands?
Hello,

On Sea Recovery you can find adaptable filter for low price, and for membranes lot of compagnie use de 3" membrane like Sea Recovery

I got many SR on my boat and don't want to take any other brand
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I would stay away with proprietary filters and membranes. Besides the predatory pricing, standard membranes and filter replacements are available most places and on line much cheaper. Try to pick a brand that uses standard pumps so you don't need a mortgage to buy a replacement.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The reality is most manufacturers don't build much of anything of their own. They assemble units using parts from the same or similar manufacturers.

So I'd pick a unit with the features you want that has a combination of best price, cheapest replacement parts and reliable customer service to meet your needs.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101TUG View Post
Hello,

On Sea Recovery you can find adaptable filter for low price, and for membranes lot of compagnie use de 3" membrane like Sea Recovery

I got many SR on my boat and don't want to take any other brand
We have Sea Recovery and have been very pleased. We don't particularly mind their proprietary parts as we use OEM regardless and their pricing isn't unreasonable in my opinion. I've just been pleased enough to not try other brands. That isn't to say others aren't good.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We have Sea Recovery and have been very pleased. We don't particularly mind their proprietary parts as we use OEM regardless and their pricing isn't unreasonable in my opinion. I've just been pleased enough to not try other brands. That isn't to say others aren't good.
I am pretty sure that they are all pretty similar in performance given similar specifications. My preference is to avoid companies that are so big that personal service disappears. I really enjoyed my exposure to the salesman at US Watermaker. Yes, that is his job but he did make an impression...
The watermaker we had on our sailboat(s) for the past 15 years was a perfect example of a larger company with proprietary parts. I hated the rep (arrogant, condescending jerk!) and over the years when I had issues, I almost always had a different person answer the tech support line.
The system performed admirably and the parts were always available but they lost me as a future customer years ago.
The only parts of the US Watermaker system we are purchasing that art unique to the system are the electronic controls. They are simple and I could easily bypass them without even looking at a manual.
I'd even bet that I could rig a substitute if needed...
Everything else is simply boilerplate. That was my desire when we went shopping.
Bruce
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I am pretty sure that they are all pretty similar in performance given similar specifications. My preference is to avoid companies that are so big that personal service disappears. I really enjoyed my exposure to the salesman at US Watermaker. Yes, that is his job but he did make an impression...
The watermaker we had on our sailboat(s) for the past 15 years was a perfect example of a larger company with proprietary parts. I hated the rep (arrogant, condescending jerk!) and over the years when I had issues, I almost always had a different person answer the tech support line.
The system performed admirably and the parts were always available but they lost me as a future customer years ago.
The only parts of the US Watermaker system we are purchasing that art unique to the system are the electronic controls. They are simple and I could easily bypass them without even looking at a manual.
I'd even bet that I could rig a substitute if needed...
Everything else is simply boilerplate. That was my desire when we went shopping.
Bruce
We've gotten excellent service from Sea Recovery. No issues getting parts quickly. Also, they're so well known everywhere we go. I would have an issue with proprietary parts if it was a company I didn't know well and didn't feel would be there when I needed them.

I do understand your decision though. Will be anxious to see how your watermaker performs for you. On our last boat, the factory choices were Idromar or HRO Seafari. The Seafari offered was too small and while Idromar might have been a good choice in Europe, I didn't see it as that for the US. So, we let them plumb it and set everything up and had a Sea Recovery installed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
40 GPH and all off the shelf parts for the Cruise RO, and the customer service is fantastic. The membranes with fittings are 45" long. Best part is it's modular.

Good luck!
People do not realize the power of that last statement.

For folks that have a stand up engine room, and a nice waist level or higher shelf available a self contained unit might be nice...

For the rest of us, the ones that have to figure out a space, like the lazarette (likeI used) the remote operating panel made the installation practical.

I'm sure that there are some very skookum self contained units with fully remote panels, but for me 40 GPH for $6K with the panel nice and neat inside the boat where I can see and operate it, sure was handy
Old 01-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ah yes, the smell of a just started watermakers product water...
First time I smelled that I almost vomited!
That and the smell of the filters when servicing the things.
Amazing isn't it?
Bruce
Yep Anerobic bacteria I think. Ick
Old 01-15-2017, 06:59 AM   #20
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Off the shelf filters is important- you will use a lot. Membrane should last a long time if treated correctly. Automation adds to the list of things that might have gone wrong when the machine stops making water. Almost always miles from anwhere. To be avoided IMHO. Remote panel is nice, but always watch the machine when you start up. 800+ psi in those pipes and you can power-wash your whole engine-room with salt water at that pressure!
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote