Maytag Magic Chef Oven and Stove combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyinferg

Vessel Name
Martha
Vessel Make
'84 Fu Hwa, CHB Trawler
Hello O'wise Ones. I have what appears to be a new or seldom used Stove/Oven. It lit fine when I first bought this boat a year ago. Have not used it since - now unable to get it lit. I removed the propane tank and had it checked at professional propane place (not Ace Hardware). Told it was fine, full, with good pressure. Now I am assuming I will replace, one by one, the solenoid valve and/or the attachment that goes directly to the propane tank. Suggestions welcome from anyone who knows first hand or heard from a guy who knows a guy. Thanks to all in advance. I learn a lot from these threads. Madeleine

Attachments

• ovenMagicChef.jpg
    ovenMagicChef.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 96
  • solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 99
  • toPropaneTank.jpg
    toPropaneTank.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 80
Do you have a safety panel? And did you check the circuit breaker for the safety panel/ solenoid?

Before you replace the solenoid valve, check that you have power at the solenoid. It requires power to pass propane thorough to the stove / oven.

Just a thought, that regulator and solenoid valve look to be pretty old, maybe original equipment. Considering the fire / explosion risk factor from propane, might be cheap insurance to replace both and the hose between them.

Ted

Just a thought, that regulator and solenoid valve look to be pretty old, maybe original equipment. Considering the fire / explosion risk factor from propane, might be cheap insurance to replace both and the hose between them.

Ted

I was thinking the same thing, but if you don't replace them, check them with a sniffer.

Could just be the tank,

The new idiot proof tanks have a safety "feature" that shuts the tank down if the valve is opened wide with no load.

Take the tank ashore and slowly open the valve to be sure the safety did not engage.

IF it did , a piece of dowel and a light tap will reset it.

You also need to be sure the lines have been purged of air. Do you or have you smelled propane yet when trying to light. No smell no propane

"You also need to be sure the lines have been purged of air. Do you or have you smelled propane yet when trying to light. No smell no propane"

Holding a lit BBQ lighter flame at a burner , you should see a breeze blowing on the flame , as the air is purged.

The solenoid is frequently hooked to a gas detection setup, that does not power the solenoid if gas is sensed.

Sadly the gas sensors have a limited life , esp in a damp bilge environment.

If the solenoid powers with a jumper buy not normally , this could be the cause.

As a safety item I prefer a operating light by the range and install a mechanical wind up 2 hour timer as second control.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom