Marine Air Sea Water Circulation pumps. The good and the ugly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
My air conditioner water circulation pump has died. Time to buy new. My old pump was/is a Cal Marine pump. I have read lots negative about about Cal. I read that thinking, mine works OK, now mine is dead too. What is the current consensus On best quality. I don't want to spend $6~800 for a replacement, though I can believe these, Wabasto and the like, may be great pumps. The current dead pump is 1000GPH serving a 7K BTU and a 16K BTU unit. The dead Cal was about as quiet as a frieght train. Quiet would be good.

My apology to those who say we have an old thread on this subject. I tried to search for it but had no luck.

Unless you are planning to sell the boat in the near future, it is well worth paying up for a good pump, like the March. Quieter and longer lived. Personally I feel the big Oberdorfer we had on our Hatteras is the way to go; quiet and the first one lasted 30 years until murdered by owner (that would be me) stupidity. But now you are well up there price wise, if your length of expected ownership is short.

We have a March and, from my limited research, I belive they are pretty much the standard for solid AC circulation pumps.

I have a March that supplies water for 2 units. I'am fairly certain it's the original from 1987, and it's been running pretty much continuously during weather like we are having now each summer for the 6 years I've owned her and lived aboard.

Have a March on my boat to supply 3 12K btu units. It's likely original from 2002. I did build an anti vibration mount during my refit, which significantly reduced noise. Also of interest, mine has oil lubricated bearing. Requires a couple of drops each twice a year. I'm very happy with mine and will probably buy the same for a spare before heading out on the Loop next year.

Ted

I believe mine is the March AC-5C-MD 115 vac air cooled.

Ted

I was satisfied with one march pump serving three A/C units.
The magnetic coupling seemed a good idea.
Some sort of vibration isolator seems common on all pump mounting schemes.

I am unique and unusual in my choice of a pump. I use the Tsunami 800 gph bait well pump.
I have a relay, so the 120vac that normally turns on an AC pump, turns on a small relay. The relay then switches on the pump. The pump does pump 5 gallons in under a minute, fills a 5 gallon bucket with a 2 foot head. Higher head less gph, lower head more gph.
https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corp...qid=1466172173&sr=8-1&keywords=bait+well+pump

cheap and quiet and lasts for years for me.

Last edited:
I am unique and unusual in my choice of a pump. I use the Tsunami 800 gph bait well pump.
I have a relay, so the 120vac that normally turns on an AC pump, turns on a small relay. The relay then switches on the pump. The pump does pump 5 gallons in under a minute, fills a 5 gallon bucket with a 2 foot head. Higher head less gph, lower head more gph.
https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corp...qid=1466172173&sr=8-1&keywords=bait+well+pump

cheap and quiet and lasts for years for me.

For a single AC unit near sea level it should be fine. Maximum head is 8' and less than half the output at 6.5'. The March pump maximum head is 27'. Once you have flow, there is a reduction in absolute head through suction of the discharge line if it empties near sea level. Depending on plumbing lengths, elevation above sea level, and residual water in the condenser coil, it can take quite a bit of pressure to initiate flow through the condenser.

Ted

Buy it on Ebay and save a fee bucks. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1466274231.989598.jpg

Back
Top Bottom