Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Thanks. I don't think I can increase the duct size and I did make one outlet a few square inches larger but I'll take a look at it.

I really think it's just too much glass and not enough BTU though. The unit is just a couple years old and was a replacement for a similar unit and was installed by a respected pro.
Maybe you could tee the ducting where it comes off the blower and add an other vent. My new boat has a tee on one unit and a double tee on an other unit coming off the blower.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Maybe you could tee the ducting where it comes off the blower and add an other vent. My new boat has a tee on one unit and a double tee on an other unit coming off the blower.

Ted
I'll look but I don't think I can do that. I would either end up with an outlet right next to the intake or have to run a long duct and put another outlet next to an existing outlet.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I'll look but I don't think I can do that. I would either end up with an outlet right next to the intake or have to run a long duct and put another outlet next to an existing outlet.
Putting an outlet next to the inlet isn't a deal breaker. You may only need one more 4" outlet to solve your problem. The 4" ones rotate 360 degrees and have angled louvers to send the flow in a desired direction. Simply angle the flow away from the intake. Also, they have adjustable flow from wide open to nothing. You probably have 90% of the flow you need. It may only take a portion of a 4" vent to solve your problem.

4" vent

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Thanks Ted, I was beginning to think that the three months I spent in the US Navy air conditioning and refrigeration school with regards to trouble shooting had been a waste.

WesK when you use the term "freeze's up" are you referring to the reciever and or condenser freezing up ? In which case the unit may have lost some of it charge of refrigerant which would effect it's cooling capacity. I would have someone put gauges on the unit and and see if it has lost it's charge and if so find the leak which can be a challenge on marine units. The fact that this unit was installed two years ago into a duct system that had no prior problems points to a problem with the new unit. Keep us posted and good luck.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Thanks Ted, I was beginning to think that the three months I spent in the US Navy air conditioning and refrigeration school with regards to trouble shooting had been a waste.

WesK when you use the term "freeze's up" are you referring to the reciever and or condenser freezing up ? In which case the unit may have lost some of it charge of refrigerant which would effect it's cooling capacity. I would have someone put gauges on the unit and and see if it has lost it's charge and if so find the leak which can be a challenge on marine units. The fact that this unit was installed two years ago into a duct system that had no prior problems points to a problem with the new unit. Keep us posted and good luck.
Bill
The one it replaced had the same problem but eventually lost its charge and lost its recharge. According to the service guy, these units historically had a problem with internal leaks after many years of service. There was no external leak but the recharge was gone in less than a day.

The controller has a feature that puts the unit in the heat mode if the temperature does not drop (assuming that the thermostat is calling for a lower temperature) for one hour. I can set this for one, two or three minutes (relying on memory here) or disable this feature and as long as I have it turned on, the unit goes into heat mode and thaws itself.

I'll look at adding outlets but I think my best solution is low e window film and keeping the curtains closed on the afternoon sun side.

The part that freezes is the coil that the incoming air passes through. The part with the fins. The correct name escapes me at the moment.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote