Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Guru

City: AR
Your solutions to sea water odors in toilet intake?

Have any of you installed a separate water tank to supply fresh water to flush a sea water toilet? Do you add any "deodorizing" or other products to the tank...if so, what? Can you provide a photograph of the installation that includes the plumbing?

Have any of you cobbled up a "one off" reservoir (NOT the Raritan Crown Head reservoir or Flush Water Kit) installed in the flush water supply line on a sea water toilet that you fill with some type of deodorizing or mineral dissolving product ? If so, can you provide a list of the materials you used, your "instructions" for use, and the chemical used...and a photograph?

If you've installed either, or can send me to someone who has, I will be very grateful!

I have a very specific need for examples of ONLY these two types of installations...so please do NOT try to educate me about toilets designed to use pressurized fresh water, the dangers of connecting sea water toilets to fresh water plumbing (or how it can allegedly sometimes be done safely), chemical recommendations, or try to make a case for composters....nor ANY opinions.

Thanks!
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hi Peggie, Good to see you! Sounds like you're working in a new edition of your book.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I have a very specific need for examples of ONLY these two types of installations...so please do NOT try to educate me about toilets designed to use pressurized fresh water, the dangers of connecting sea water toilets to fresh water plumbing (or how it can allegedly sometimes be done safely), chemical recommendations, or try to make a case for composters....nor ANY opinions.

Thanks!
As I lovingly say to my wife, YES DEAR. Good to see you back.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sound like research for a new article or book...what's wrong with "alleged" info...sometimes it's correct.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Perth
Your solutions to sea water odors in toilet intake?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Bit snarly for someone wanting something IMO

Naw, Matt. Peggie has been a great resource around here. It sounds to me like she is up against a publishing deadline. She has saved our "butts" literally many times.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Naw, Matt. Peggie has been a great resource around here. It sounds to me like she is up against a publishing deadline. She has saved our "butts" literally many times.

Oh ok. I respectfully retract my statement

Old 04-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Does it count that I spray Febreze air freshener into the bowl (not the tank) before the first flush of the trip?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Oh ok. I respectfully retract my statement
I've just spent enough years here to know how to prevent the excruciating technical detail that some cannot resist posting and also how to make sure I won't become the next tree watered by this bunch of leg lifters.

(See the first two posts in the thread "why not women" for context)
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Lol!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

City: Mariehamn
Vessel Name: Chesapeake Lady
Vessel Model: Mainship II 34
I have done exactly that! Took a piece of pvc pipe thats used for drain pipes in houses ( comes in different siczes). About 100mm dia and 400mm high.Plugged the ends and mounted a filling valve from a household toilet then I hade a siple tank a outlet to toilet in the bottom and a drain/ overflow connection! Every flush takes about 0,6 ltrs and the tank holds about 1,5 ltrs!Connected it all to the fresh water sytem, works perfect in my opinion!
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1973 View Post
I have done exactly that! Took a piece of pvc pipe thats used for drain pipes in houses ( comes in different siczes). About 100mm dia and 400mm high.Plugged the ends and mounted a filling valve from a household toilet then I hade a siple tank a outlet to toilet in the bottom and a drain/ overflow connection! Every flush takes about 0,6 ltrs and the tank holds about 1,5 ltrs!Connected it all to the fresh water sytem, works perfect in my opinion!
So what you've essentially done is create the same flush water tank that's used by household toilets. That makes it just as safe to connect to the boat's potable water supply as it is to the pressurized water pipe in a building because it doesn't connect to the toilet bowl. Someone on cruisersforum.com did pretty much the same thing, but also added a y-valve that lets him switch to sea water. Here's a link to the thread...scroll down to "freedom45's" post:
Your solutions to sea water odors in toilet intake? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

However, what I'm looking for are solutions that continue to use raw water. But I'm hanging on to your post and his for possible future use...so do you have any drawings and/or photos you can send me?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #13

City: Mariehamn
Vessel Name: Chesapeake Lady
Vessel Model: Mainship II 34
Yes you could say its a buffer tank thats not pressurised! If your interested of some pics I can arrange it when I'm getting home from work in about 2 weeks!
Mike1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sound like research for a new article or book...what's wrong with "alleged" info...sometimes it's correct.

Ditto.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1973 View Post
Yes you could say its a buffer tank thats not pressurised! If your interested of some pics I can arrange it when I'm getting home from work in about 2 weeks!
Yes please...and thanks!

It appears that I've just about gotten everything useful that I can from y'all...and I do appreciate your help! Feel free to contact me directly any time I can be of help...I've given up spending several hours a day online, but I'm still glad to answer questions and try to find solutions to problems.

Be well and stay safe out there!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
This may be of little help, but I'll post it anyway: My smallish boat carries not enough fresh water for flushing, too precious for that so I use sea water. Holding tank has a fitting tied to sea water wash down pump with a manual valve. When offshore, the washdown pump is started, valve opened, and macerator run to drain tank from bottom and pump overboard. Let system run like this for maybe 10 minutes (macerator can't run continuous) and it rinses the tank nearly clean. When back to dock, do a few flushes with maybe half cup of bleach into head, and that mix stays in tank, keeping bio activity down.

The tank rinse system really works. No odor problems on boat.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
This may not be what you are looking for, but a couple years back I asked the question about flushing the sea water toilet with fresh gray water from my shower sump. The responses I got were all negative, but the only real reason ever given was the potential problem of hair clogging up the pump. Well long story short, I plumbed it that way anyway and I have been using it for the last two years with no problems and no oders! One of the best improvements I've done so far! I can give you more information and pic's if it's something you'd like.
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
This may not be what you are looking for, but a couple years back I asked the question about flushing the sea water toilet with fresh gray water from my shower sump. The responses I got were all negative, but the only real reason ever given was the potential problem of hair clogging up the pump. Well long story short, I plumbed it that way anyway and I have been using it for the last two years with no problems and no oders! One of the best improvements I've done so far! I can give you more information and pic's if it's something you'd like.

I'd like to see it if possible please!. I'm drawing up the plumbing for my boat build ATM. Would love to see pics and get ideas.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
fresh water flush..

Hendo78
Here are some pic's of the system I modified. Pic of head and sink. Plumbing shutoffs under the sink enable to empty sink overboard or down into the shower sump.
Plumbing under the head enables drawing seawater for flushing (main line without shutoff valve), or draw from the shower sump (hose with shutoff T'd into main line). When drawing seawater, sump line is closed, or drawing from sump, the thru hull for seawater is closed.
Pic of shower sump shows intake hose with one way check valve installed (home Depot about $12.00) This keeps water in the line right up to the head so water is instantly available reducing flush time to 2 to 3 seconds. My head is loud so this helps a lot!
Small hose peice on the other end of the check valve is cut on an angle so that it can use almost all available water in the sump, and has a screen filter to catch any remaining hair that the tub screen missed. I think most of what hair reaches the sump is pumped out while the shower is on because I have hardly ever had to clean the screen. In addition, if I do run out of flush water, simply letting the sink run a minute takes care of that.
Add a little blue once in a while and viola, sanatized and no odor.
Hope this helps whatever your trying to do. I'm glad I plumbed it like this, and after 2 years I've had no problems with it at all.
Attached Thumbnails
head1.jpg   head2.jpg   head3.jpg   head4.jpg   head5.jpg  

MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
Hendo78
Here are some pic's of the system I modified. Pic of head and sink. Plumbing shutoffs under the sink enable to empty sink overboard or down into the shower sump.
Plumbing under the head enables drawing seawater for flushing (main line without shutoff valve), or draw from the shower sump (hose with shutoff T'd into main line). When drawing seawater, sump line is closed, or drawing from sump, the thru hull for seawater is closed.
Pic of shower sump shows intake hose with one way check valve installed (home Depot about $12.00) This keeps water in the line right up to the head so water is instantly available reducing flush time to 2 to 3 seconds. My head is loud so this helps a lot!
Small hose peice on the other end of the check valve is cut on an angle so that it can use almost all available water in the sump, and has a screen filter to catch any remaining hair that the tub screen missed. I think most of what hair reaches the sump is pumped out while the shower is on because I have hardly ever had to clean the screen. In addition, if I do run out of flush water, simply letting the sink run a minute takes care of that.
Add a little blue once in a while and viola, sanatized and no odor.
Hope this helps whatever your trying to do. I'm glad I plumbed it like this, and after 2 years I've had no problems with it at all.

Yeah look I really love this idea! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the process and provide pictures. I have a little bit of tweaking to do around the sump side of things (cistern/overflow/saltwater primary, galley integration etc) to suit my requirements but essentially this is what I'll be doing in AXE.

Again, thank you so much

Regards
Matt