Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Bill: Looks good. Geeze, that unit takes up a lot less real estate than my old 16K Cruisair does. Bill, get rid of that darned 7" hose and build yourself a rectangular duct out of that aluminum covered foam board at Lowes or Home Depot. One roll of aluminum tape does it.....fun to work with and hugs the closet wall so hardly no interference with the back shelving. I just built my own, will include pics later.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post

Yeah, I know....sorry Ben. I won't be on the boat till Wednesday. I also had the 7" stack in my closet till I built the foam board duct. Wow, what a difference in access to the shelves. I don't know why I didn't think about it before.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, I know....sorry Ben. I won't be on the boat till Wednesday. I also had the 7" stack in my closet till I built the foam board duct. Wow, what a difference in access to the shelves. I don't know why I didn't think about it before.
I'm just giving ya a hard time.

Did you do foam board around the stack?I thought the heat would be to much.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I'm just giving ya a hard time.

Did you do foam board around the stack?I thought the heat would be to much.
The foam board was aluminum coated, so no issue with the reverse heat. Home Depot had the round stack to rectangle adaptor, so I just made the duct to fit the adaptor. It was so easy (and fun), that I'm going to do the rest of the ducting with the same stuff. Stick-on insulation tape (also Home Depot) does a great job for insulating the adaptor. I also saved the thick insulation from the old round hose and have reused some of it. My whole system used the round accordion style hose with thick insulation right up to the registers. The flow was impeded by the turbulence inside of the hose, especially in bends. My A/C is old. It needs all the help it can get. Additionally, the unit was resonating the closet floor like a guitar. I cut two of those interlocking floor pads from Harbor Freight and rested the unit on top....now, no resonance. It's old, yeah, but maybe I can get a couple more years out of it. Unlike Bill's unit, the PO ran the duct ran right up the middle of the closet, making the space behind difficult to utilize.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
The foam board was aluminum coated, so no issue with the reverse heat. Home Depot had the round stack to rectangle adaptor, so I just made the duct to fit the adaptor. It was so easy (and fun), that I'm going to do the rest of the ducting with the same stuff. Stick-on insulation tape (also Home Depot) does a great job for insulating the adaptor. I also saved the thick insulation from the old round hose and have reused some of it. My whole system used the round accordion style hose with thick insulation right up to the registers. The flow was impeded by the turbulence inside of the hose, especially in bends. My A/C is old. It needs all the help it can get. Additionally, the unit was resonating the closet floor like a guitar. I cut two of those interlocking floor pads from Harbor Freight and rested the unit on top....now, no resonance. It's old, yeah, but maybe I can get a couple more years out of it. Unlike Bill's unit, the PO ran the duct ran right up the middle of the closet, making the space behind difficult to utilize.
Thanks for the info on that.It gives me ideas for the aft locker.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Thanks for the information on the duct board Larry.
If I can locate one I'm thinking of replacing the metal outlet vent with a teak trimmed one with horizontal and vertical air direction blades. I think it would direct the air distribution better and with less turbulence. I discovered that a previous a/c installation used the stateroom hanging locker and a 12" x 12" return air vent was installed on the forward bulkhead at deck level. This vent lets us have the option of closing the stateroom door and still have return air to the unit thru the galley and hanging locker louvered doors.
The new Cruisaire 16K only weights about 65 lbs. and has built in vibration damping mounts to the deck. The condenser water overboard hose and thru hull in the photo was drilled at interior deck level and the coring is about 1/2" thick in that area of the hull for reference.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: stuart
Gettin ready for new a/c this week

Velvet has a 16,000 a/c unit that is old. There is a company here in Stuart called Ocean Breeze a/c that make all kinds and I am going to get thier 18.500 unit which is just a tad bigger than my old unit which fits under the galley sink area. I pulled the unit and will bring it to them and they will match the fan exit so all I need to do is plug in the new one I hope. If not will have to get an electrician in. That should cool Velvet nicely.
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach
Vessel Name: Cool Beans
Vessel Model: 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Cool Beans has the original 1600 btu AC. We just installed a thermostat as this old AC didn't have one. It was either off or freeze your butt off cold.
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #29
Guru

Bill and Ben: Here's the photo of the rectangular ducting in my closet I promised you weeks ago. This shot is with the closet door removed. As you can see, it hugs the wall nicely, only takes maybe 2.25" or so. This photo was after finishing the cutting and tape of the duct board for the main vertical duct. The black accordion duct you see at the top left of the closet is now also the same stuff. Very easy and fun to work with. Getting to the shelves is much easier now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet duct for AC.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	33802  

Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Bill and Ben: Here's the photo of the rectangular ducting in my closet I promised you weeks ago. This shot is with the closet door removed. As you can see, it hugs the wall nicely, only takes maybe 2.25" or so. This photo was after finishing the cutting and tape of the duct board for the main vertical duct. The black accordion duct you see at the top left of the closet is now also the same stuff. Very easy and fun to work with. Getting to the shelves is much easier now.

Thanks.That really explains things.I'm looking to make my own ducts like this for a mobile home I have,instead of using insulated accordion type plastic ducts.I'll also consider using this in my boat as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #31
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfaith View Post
Velvet has a 16,000 a/c unit that is old. There is a company here in Stuart called Ocean Breeze a/c that make all kinds and I am going to get thier 18.500 unit which is just a tad bigger than my old unit which fits under the galley sink area. I pulled the unit and will bring it to them and they will match the fan exit so all I need to do is plug in the new one I hope. If not will have to get an electrician in. That should cool Velvet nicely.
I have one of their 16800 btu units and I really like it. I went with heat strip instead of the heat pump as I can run it on the hard or with the sea valve off. I also have a SeaBreeze unit (16k btu) for the front of the boat that is a heat pump.

I am very impressed with the Ocean Breeze company , have you been to their shop?
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #32
Guru

Hmmm. Maybe I should take a look at Sea Breeze. I'm over here in Stuart now.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #33
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Thanks Larry, the duct board looks great and I can see how it opens up the closet shelving I will add it to my work list.
Bill
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Larry, come on over and look see

Larry please stop by the next time your in Stuart to share thoughts. I am working on Velvet every day. Did get Danny to paint the boat but has only showed up two times in the last month, but most of the sanding is done from the teak rail up, I'M doing the teak rail. Need an electrican soon to hook all the new stuff up, figure two or three days, ouch! Will be changing the name to HALLELUJAH and will be delayed till Jan 2015 to start cruising.

Cpt.Craig
Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #35
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Hmmm. Maybe I should take a look at Sea Breeze. I'm over here in Stuart now.

Ocean Breeze

Home - Ocean Breeze Air Conditioning, Mfd. by Quorum Marine & Electronics, Inc.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentfaith View Post
Larry please stop by the next time your in Stuart to share thoughts.
Cpt.Craig
What Marina are you camped-out at, Capt. Craig? I usually have to make runs to Stuart every time I go to Indiantown.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

My location in Stuart

Hi, My boat is at my home, directions are easy. Just stay on sr76/martin grade which turns into Indian ST. when you cross the new bridge. Stay on indian st. to my home. Once you cross us1, then rr tracks, then dixie hwy, and continue east until you cross a flat bridge, once you cross that bridge the name of the road changes into St Lucie Blv. so, two blocks past that bridge on your right you will see a tall white pineapple post mailbox, that is me. 2513 se st. lucie bl. 772-341-0393 Cpt.Craig