Old 10-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #21

City: New York City / Boothbay Harbor
Vessel Name: Slow Poke
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46'
With the right rigging and planning it's a one person job - I do it regularly alone on my 46' GB Classic.
For a first timer best bet is to have some extra hands available and plenty of time!
richard8000milesaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #22

City: Davie Florida
Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That is why I originally asked if it laid forward or aft...mine goes forward so nothing to rig....

But if weight is a concern, some pole like the boom makes the action much easier.
Does anyone know what size are the nuts that hold the mast up she folds foward 1972 36 GB thanks
Jimboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Plan B could be to get a flag pole base as used in Skool yards .

They are aluminum with a geared 1/4 of a circle ring that can simply be cranked up and down.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:33 PM   #24

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mahanda
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Wondering if anyone has a still better approach to lowering their mast?
Moersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:35 AM   #25
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moersea View Post
There are a lot of variables depending on how your mast is set up.

It then depends on which way you want it to lower, I chose forward but it did make the flybridge almost unusable while down unless I stripped the rigging.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #26
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Better than what?
We lower it once a year. A person on each upper shroud. They lower the mast down to me as I am standing on the aft cabin. I lower the mast into the crutch. If lowering the mast more frequently I would rig a block and tackle. One end connected over the mast spreaders and the other running forward to a connection point at center of flybridge helm station. Would then be an easy 1 or 2 person job.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #27
Guru

Exactly. My wife and I could lower ours in about 3 minutes to either “half mast” or all the way.
Then I’d take a few minutes securing things while she continued running the boat.
We would raise it during spring commissioning usually in LI sound after we cleared the RR bridge and raise it for storage on our way back up the CT river.
Then probably 2 times during the summer to half mast when we anchored in Sag Harbor cove.
We also ran the NY canals at half mast for the entire trip.
All my hardware and rigging fit in a small plastic bin under the helm seat. I think I had about $30 invested in rigging.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:29 AM   #28
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Jay did you use a pully up high on a pole/2x4 to get a better angle? Then it seems it would be a one person job.
I was thinking of using the boom set into a wood block. There is already a pully on the aft end of the boom.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #29

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Mahanda
Vessel Model: GB 36 Classic
Similarly, what are thoughts about the attachment point(s) on the fly ridge? For me the current radar unit is older (heavier) and there’s more weight on the mast that others might have.
Moersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:38 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Similarly, what are thoughts about the attachment point(s) on the fly ridge? For me the current radar unit is older (heavier) and there’s more weight on the mast that others might have.
Check your seats to see how they are attached to the deck. If those attachment points are robust enough, a pad eye on the side of the seats will suffice. If you don't like that, a well secured pad eye on the floor should suffice.

Remember, your seats have to stay in place with the weight of people crashing against them when you are in a seaway. That can be a lot of force.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #31

City: West Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: Unicorn V
Vessel Model: 1981 Grand Banks 36CL
The solution for Unicorn V probably will not appeal to some owners as it requires the boom to be sacrificed. The mast must be lowered to access the boat house. However it has served the boat well for 40 years and is easily handled by an 80 year old in 3 minutes, up or down.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2150.jpg   IMG_2151.jpg   IMG_2154.jpg  
JMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:59 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcJ View Post
The solution for Unicorn V probably will not appeal to some owners as it requires the boom to be sacrificed. The mast must be lowered to access the boat house. However it has served the boat well for 40 years and is easily handled by an 80 year old in 3 minutes, up or down.
Doesn't look like the boom had to be sacrificed, just a different boom/mast crutch.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #33

City: West Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: Unicorn V
Vessel Model: 1981 Grand Banks 36CL
No, it had to go as the hydraulic ram fastens to the mast permanently. I have considered revisiting it by reducing the mast height about 18" but probably won't as we've lived with it all these years. Besides, and this may be heresy, but I think the mast just gets in the way. However it is in the garage!
JMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcJ View Post
No, it had to go as the hydraulic ram fastens to the mast permanently. I have considered revisiting it by reducing the mast height about 18" but probably won't as we've lived with it all these years. Besides, and this may be heresy, but I think the mast just gets in the way. However it is in the garage!
Just saw that the boom gooseneck looked clear and the mast could fold down over it....seen a lot of setups like that.

Guess I would have made the ram detachable for just raising and lowering...but if inside and a daily thing I get it....I just used my boom a lot and considered it essential equipment.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #35
Guru

I mounted the pad eye as high up on the mast as I could reach. Made up a short line with 2 clips one for the mast the other for the block and tackle.
I’m on the road now in our travel trailer. When I get home next week I’ll look for some pictures
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
I bought a GB42 Classic a few months ago and inherited this mast lowering system. It works well for me and is easy for one person to use.

Lateral stability while lowering the mast is provided by the (approx) 10" width of the hinge plate (apologies - I forgot to take a close up of the plate).

There is a removeable strut which mounts on the mast front and has a wire rope guy which goes to the radar bracket. This strut maintains a decent "lever arm" distance when the mast is in the lower positions.

Regards,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0436.jpg   IMG_0437.jpg   IMG_0438.jpg   IMG_0439.jpg  
Nick F is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand banks mast, lowering mast