Loudest Horn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then there's the chater guy in an adjacent marina who runs a salmon killer business off his '34 Carver. He blows his locomotive horn every time he backs out of the slip...just before daybreak (4 AM in the summer). Trying to impress his lubber clients...thinks he's cool with his big horn...penis extender. He's a tool alright.

Technically, of course, he is correct in sounding his horn. One blast for leaving the slip and three for "reverse". The ferries from Norfolk, VA to Portsmouth (across the river) actually do that.

I have been known to do that when appropriate but that's rare, like where there's a blind entrance. Otherwise, I can see other boats.

I make a prolonged (four-second) signal when leaving/entering the marina but only when a low tide prohibits looking over the breakwater. I am bad, however, for not making three shorts when backing out of my berth.

Observation: most recreational boaters don't know how to make prolonged signals because theirs are at most only a second long and their shorts a fraction of that.

Just a reminder that compressors, if neglected, are like a bomb on your boat. You “must” drain the water out of them one you are done and they need to be thrown away or recertified after a while, especially the cheap Harbour Freight type. No axe to grind, just don’t install and forget.

Just a reminder that compressors, if neglected, are like a bomb on your boat. You “must” drain the water out of them one you are done and they need to be thrown away or recertified after a while, especially the cheap Harbour Freight type. No axe to grind, just don’t install and forget.
I think that is good and prudent advice.

"Main thing is to get a large enough (1 gal) pressure tank, to enable a decent long blast."

If you have the space a re purposed propane or scuba tank is large and holds 200PSI easily.

I think I’m sold on the Kahlenberg D-0s with an oversized tank I can hopefully put a second air feeder on for filling toddler floaty toys and fenders :)

Thanks all!

"Main thing is to get a large enough (1 gal) pressure tank, to enable a decent long blast."

If you have the space a re purposed propane or scuba tank is large and holds 200PSI easily.

I am absolutely a fan of re-using and re-purposing things to save money. Bear in mind, however, that such tanks would have water sloshing around inside them due to atmospheric humidity. If you don't have a drain system (and use it regularly!) the water will continue to accumulate inside the pressure tank. The old propane tank would eventually rust through; the old scuba tank would simply fill up.

If one has more than a rare encounter with fog or whatever obscures vision, it would be a wise investment to acquire a device that sounds the horn at desired/required intervals so one can focus on visual and auditory inputs.

If one has more than a rare encounter with fog or whatever obscures vision, it would be a wise investment to acquire a device that sounds the horn at desired/required intervals so one can focus on visual and auditory inputs.

I have one of those! 3 different sounds depending what you are doing. Pairadice and I were making our way down Johnstone Straits in the fog. He was ahead of me about 2 miles or more. He called me and asked if I would turn it off as it was irritating the hell out of him. So I know it works...

...it would be a wise investment to acquire a device that sounds the horn at desired/required intervals so one can focus on visual and auditory inputs.

I have one, called FogMate. It's great, but I'd heard the company went out of business. Then I found the FogMate for sale at Hamilton Marine and GoTo Marine. Other sites show them not available or backordered. Not sure if these two just haven't updated their sites, or they have a large stock of old ones, or FogMate is back in production.

Anyone know more details on this product? Any other similar products?

I haven't done it but electronic timers, adjustable, and a relay would operate an electric air valve to produce an automatic sounding fog horn. Just need a toggle sw. to arm or disable it.
That same air valve can still be operated by your push buttons at the helm

Thanks all! I’m going to pull the old horn system apart this weekend, luckily I have lots of space under the fly bridge so hoping I can have a compressor/tank solution I can use to blow up rafts/fenders/etc with as well.

I know it was mentioned there are specific regs for ship sizes, are those all about having a loud enough horn or could I get in trouble if I sound like a freighter?

A freighter I sailed on during the '70s had a horn built into the funnel (smoke stack) that was about 30' long and 8' diameter at the mouth. No way you would be even able to carry it on your boat. When it sounded you could feel the sound waves pass through your body when you were on the nav bridge.

Here’s what I have going on right now. My stainless log rusted out after 43 years, new fiberglass log going in.

Also changing out ALL of the bronze through holes and valves. $$$$$$. New cutlass bearings. Shaft checked/aligned/prop checked. The works.

Attachments

• 62FD6000-B360-4E2C-B4C8-785B4FB4520B.jpg
    62FD6000-B360-4E2C-B4C8-785B4FB4520B.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DC9CF3E2-9BAA-457D-A220-2801D2FBC748.jpg
    DC9CF3E2-9BAA-457D-A220-2801D2FBC748.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 364D1A3A-8DA0-4543-A6A6-AD567610D328.jpg
    364D1A3A-8DA0-4543-A6A6-AD567610D328.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back