Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Adding mechanical oil pr and temp

I thinking about adding a mechanical temperature and pressure gauge in the engine room for our single FL SP135. I do not want to add an additional set of alarms just gauges that I can look at when I'm working on the engine and independent of any electrical gremlins. Anyone ever do this or have any suggestions? Here's a temp gauge, similar to what I'm thinking about.
Attached Thumbnails
ABC239[1].jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have oil pressure gauges that are fed by oil capillary tubes. Old school technology that I expect to fail, but they just keep on working...and apparently have for 40 years. I have matching Stewart Warner electric spares with sending units sitting in a cabinet waiting to be installed.

Maybe someday...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I really liked the full set of mechanical gauges we had in the ERs of our old Hatteras" engine oil pressure, drive oil pressure, engine temperature. Very accurate and handy when doing ER checks and other maintenance work.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We had mechanical temp and oil pressure gauges in the ER of the dive boat. Both were connected to a 12 volt fire bell to wake up whomever was driving the boat before things got really bad. Worked real well. Had a hose come off and the bell went off before the engine alarm started.

You can never have too many alarms.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Am I the only one here without any engine alarms or idiot lights? All I have a Tach, Oil Ps, and Eng Temp gauges at each helm.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Am I the only one here without any engine alarms or idiot lights? All I have a Tach, Oil Ps, and Eng Temp gauges at each helm.
Me too - starting to feel a bit inadequate.................hang on- I also have a volt meter per engine - -sorry FlyWright does this mean I`m techo too AND ............ and an hour meter - I guess technology is my friend
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #7

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Are you the ONLY person who ever drives? Do you check the gauges EVERY 30 sec without fail?

Then you don't need alarms.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Me too - starting to feel a bit inadequate.................hang on- I also have a volt meter per engine - -sorry FlyWright does this mean I`m techo too AND ............ and an hour meter - I guess technology is my friend
I've got those, too, but didn't list them as 'engine gauges'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
Are you the ONLY person who ever drives? Do you check the gauges EVERY 30 sec without fail?

Then you don't need alarms.
Yes, I'm almost always the operator and I try to monitor them regularly, as I did on airplanes, but necessarily every 30 seconds. Oh well, they've only lasted 40 years as is. I hope they last another 40.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"Are you the ONLY person who ever drives? Do you check the gauges EVERY 30 sec without fail? Then you don't need alarms."

The hassle with un setable alarms is they only go off in extreme conditions.

With 5psi of oil pressure or 220F water temp, its a bit late .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
TF Site Team

I installed the gauges today. The install took a couple of hours and more than that trying to get 1/8" hydraulic hose with an 1/8" male and female fittings. If I had to do it again, I would have ordered the hose when I ordered the gauges. Total cost for parts was $108. The two gauges were ~$56 delivered, the mounting bracket ~$11, the hose and fittings ~$41. The gauges I sourced at a tractor supply dealer, the mounting bracket on Amazon and hose/fittings were all local.

I used an 1/8" tee at the block to share the port with one of the oil pressure switches. For the temperature probe, I removed a plug on the side of the header tank. It took a cheater bar to break it loose but it came out ok.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   1a.jpg   1b.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Nice, love it when a plan comes together!
Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
It looked hard to find an oil temp gauge. For what I saw usually temp gauge are labelled water temp and I found few labelled oil temp and with high range.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Nice, love it when a plan comes together!
Thanks Jack. As far as boat projects go, this was one of the easier ones all the way around. Although now, I want to add a light and a camera for remote viewing of the gauges.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
It looked hard to find an oil temp gauge. For what I saw usually temp gauge are labelled water temp and I found few labelled oil temp and with high range. L
It took awhile to find gauges in the range and the display (simple/basic) that I wanted; oil 0-80 psi and temperature 100-220 degrees F. Farm tractor type companies usually had a good selection. Steiner Tractor Parts is who I ordered the gauges from.

https://www.steinertractor.com/
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #15

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Hi Larry,

After a failing alternator fried the $380 circuit board that controls my electric gauges at the helm, I decided to install a mechanical temperature gauge (also at the helm) as a backup. Engine temp is just too important to take chances with. The gauge is on its way to us. In terms of checking temps while working in the ER, wouldn't a pyrometer be cheaper and easier? Cheers.

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
TF Site Team

David: I know nothing about pyrometers for temperature monitoring on a Lehman. Any info would be appreciated.

The temperature gauge complete though was only $27.25 plus shipping.

I do have a mechanical temperature alarm on the exhaust elbow if we loose water flow and I have a non contact infrared thermometer that I use for checking individual engine areas.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #17
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A few tidbits:

Be careful using capillary tubes for oil pressure gauges. Have seen the tubes break and also seen gauges fail internally, both cause leaks that drained the sump over time.

Also be careful putting a tee and nipple into block to connect both the sender and tap for mechanical gauge. That cantilevered mass and the vibes in the block can fatigue the brass nipples at the thread roots. Breaks off and oil goes spraying across engine room. Use steel fittings or hyd hose and mount the tee remotely.

And you do need alarms. Many engines saved by these. You may say you look at gauges every 30sec, but I'm sure there are situations (bad weather, someone taking over the helm, etc) where the gauges do not get watched. A good alarm system is worth it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
A few tidbits:

Use steel fittings or hyd hose and mount the tee remotely.

Clever idea, I would never have thought of using hydraulic hose to mount my oil pressure sensor remote in a more convenient space.
I will add this to my list

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
David: I know nothing about pyrometers for temperature monitoring on a Lehman. Any info would be appreciated.
Larry - here is some info ...

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...rs-temperature

This is the one I have ...

https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Ther...held+pyrometer

David
Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #20

Oops. Larry - I just reread your post. It seems you already have one. What I call a pyrometer you call a non-contact thermometer. Sorry about that! LOL

David