Old 11-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

City: Richmond, CA
Vessel Name: Martha
Vessel Model: '84 Fu Hwa, CHB Trawler
light newish magic chef stove

Hello folks, before I go up and take out the challenging-to-access propane tank, any suggestions on lighting the almost new magic chef stove ? I lit it once in April 2014 and have not used it since. Winter coming, love hot chocolate. I am sure the propane tank is all the way ON. I have held the stove dial to On and kept it there for up to 30 seconds, then tried to light it with a match. No smell, no sound of gas hissing. Lean toward caution, shall I just go ahead and take the propane tank to nearby propane guys (they are professional and efficient - no screwing around with misinformation). Thanks for your input. Madeleine
flyinferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Do you have a propane shutoff solenoid? If so, that could be in the OFF position.

Once I turn mine on, I have to bleed the air out of the line for about 30 seconds. The air purge is apparent with a lit long lighter held to the stovetop burner. Once the stove burner lights, then the line is purged and the oven and other burners ignite immediately.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
FF
Guru

The new propane talks have a >feature< that sucks.

If the tank valve is opened with little restriction a device will shut off the tank.Some will reset , some will not.

Remove your tank, take it on land , and slowly open the valve to see if the tank will let gas out.

If it does put it back and very slowly open the valve , and bleed as you did.

IF there is a selenoid in the system that checks the bilge for gas , be sure its powered and opening.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote