Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
City: Bethel Island
Vessel Name: Lionheart
Vessel Model: 54 Defever PH
Leaking S/S water tank

I have a 2000 Defever PH which has developed pin hole leaks in the water tanks (2 x 200 Gal.) What are my options as I dont really want to remove a substantial portion of the sole to remove (Replace or repair) them. They do have three 12" inspection plates on one side (Of each tank) but the back and bottoms can not be viewed. Anyone know if these tanks are baffled ?

Baja Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
City: Hotel, CA
I'd contact a local welder to come look at it. If he can access it he can repair it in place.

Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
I helped a friend with a similar problem. His tanks had failed at the spot welds that held the baffles. They had been made of 316 but not 316L stainless. If that is true in your case, then welding will not make a lasting repair because it destroys the stainless property of the steel. Perhaps the holes could be silver soldered or patched with Por15 paste if they are assessable.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
TF Site Team
City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
With 3 inspection ports, I'd be surprised if tank didn't have baffles.

Can you see any discoloration on the outside of the tanks(s) in-between the inspection ports? If there is, that may be where the baffles were welded to the interior walls.

If it was me, I'd open up the inspection ports see what the insides look like. You'll need to any way.

We had a leaking SS water tank on our last boat. We were able to remove the tank and found a few pin hole leaks along a bottom seam. We had a 1.5" by 3' piece of angle iron welded along the outside of the seam. I have been told that the leak was not a surprise on SS water tanks.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote

leaking water tank