Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
GordC,

Wraison Seals in Van. should have what you need. Unless they have moved. They are a seal specialty house.

Was your 1981 Grand Mariner 40 a recent purchase and named Shershan when you bought her?
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Gold Coast, Queensland
Vessel Name: Gypsy Lee
Vessel Model: 43 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer
i believe so. It's running down the outside of the helm station directly under the wheel. I tied a rag around it until my seal kit arrives however it's still leaking from behind the helm station. Will know more tomorrow when I pull it apart.
wallabyshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Vent Plug????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Before you replace the seal, make SURE that the upper helm unit has a proper vent plug installed. When I topped my helm unit up to the level called for in the manual, it started leaking the next day. I found that it had 2 solid fill plugs - no vent as required in the manual. I removed one and installed a vented plug and the leak immediately stopped and has not returned. Apparently with a larger air space, any pressure that built up was not enough to push past the seal. Once I topped up the fluid, the much smaller air space allowed the pressure to rise too much when it got warm.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Where would I get a vent plug from if needed please mate? And could you post a pic of what I would be looking for for?
Thanks.
Shane
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
You can drill a tiny hole in the brass cap that sits on the fill tube.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Not sure what model I have, but I was able to just replace the O-ring from the front of the pump. No disassembly required. I think the shaft is 3/4" and the housing the O-ring fits into is 1".

Bob
Bob. Any advice innhow to dig the old O ring out from around the shaft please? It would seem the only leak I have is coming from the O ring behind the helm. Thanks mate.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabyshane View Post
Hi Ken,

Where would I get a vent plug from if needed please mate? And could you post a pic of what I would be looking for for?
Thanks.
Shane
Also, where exactly is the vent plug located please?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #47
Guru

On the top of the upper most helm unit. If you have a bridge steering station it will be on the TOP of the bridge station pump.
If you have only one inside steering station it will be on the top of that pump.
There will be only one system vent and it is always on the highest steer pump.
Depending upon how the boat builder buried it the vent may be difficult to see.

A good way to close the vent and protect it is to go to a pneumatics supply house and get a sintered brass vent.
Or as suggested just drill a wee hole in the pipe cap. That's what I have and it was out in full weather for many years untill I finally sprung for a cover.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
On the top of the upper most helm unit. If you have a bridge steering station it will be on the TOP of the bridge station pump.
If you have only one inside steering station it will be on the top of that pump.

A good way to close the vent and protect it is to go to a pneumatics supply house and get a sintered brass vent.
Or as suggested just drill a wee hole in the pipe cap. That's what I have and it was out in full weather for many years untill I finally sprung for a cover.
Thank you. I have duel helm stations on my 43 Cheoy Lee. The internal helm is the one leaking from the shaft. The pump itself is a monster to get to. I would have to rip my bulkhead off to my saloon to get to it. Question is, would there be a reservoir somewhere to feed both stations? Still at a loss as to how to dig the old o ring out AND how to remove the key on the steering shaft.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #49
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:

What he said. The vent will be or should be one of the two fill plugs on top of the upper most steering station. If it's protected, you can drill a small hole in it. Another good way is to get a sintered brass vent plug as Clectric said. That's what I did.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Thank you. I have duel helm stations on my 43 Cheoy Lee. The internal helm is the one leaking from the shaft. The pump itself is a monster to get to. I would have to rip my bulkhead off to my saloon to get to it. Question is, would there be a reservoir somewhere to feed both stations? Still at a loss as to how to dig the old o ring out AND how to remove the key on the steering shaft.

Usually the upper pump is the fill point, the venting point and also the system reservoir. That should be the case with your Capilano 275.
I never considered that the system might not be vented as in kchase's post.
I could see that forcing oil past the seal under some conditions. Definitely worth looking at.

Otherwise you may have to deal with the lower helm pump.

They are good pumps. I have two and they are now 39 years old and no leaks. Now that I said that I know what will happen.

If you must remove the lower pump then drain as much oil as you can from the upper unit so it is not a bleeding reservoir. Lots of paper towels or better are the oil absorbent pads. Keep a small plastic bucket at hand for the oiled towels.

No access from behind? SOmetime access is poor but better than none so check carefully to be sure something was not missed.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks. All done. The only leak is the o ring on the steering shaft. Now fighting to get the seal plate back on. Really struggling with it.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM   #52
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
A few years ago mine was slowly losing fluid. Another owner suggested drilling at tiny hole (horizontal) in the top cap as others have posted above. I did so and no more problems. The system must suck in air by the seals when it cools, then push fluid out as it expands.
I have been meaning to get a "proper" breather vent/cap, I keep forgetting though, good project for next week.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #53
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
These are the best type to get and they're not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus...9X6ESX5GQDBPKS

Just have to get the right size. I think mine was 3/8 npt

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Where can I get 2 vent plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Before you replace the seal, make SURE that the upper helm unit has a proper vent plug installed. When I topped my helm unit up to the level called for in the manual, it started leaking the next day. I found that it had 2 solid fill plugs - no vent as required in the manual. I removed one and installed a vented plug and the leak immediately stopped and has not returned. Apparently with a larger air space, any pressure that built up was not enough to push past the seal. Once I topped up the fluid, the much smaller air space allowed the pressure to rise too much when it got warm.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Any idea where I can order 2 vent plugs from please?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Breather cap???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
A few years ago mine was slowly losing fluid. Another owner suggested drilling at tiny hole (horizontal) in the top cap as others have posted above. I did so and no more problems. The system must suck in air by the seals when it cools, then push fluid out as it expands.
I have been meaning to get a "proper" breather vent/cap, I keep forgetting though, good project for next week.
Did you end up finding a breather cap? I need 2 for both my 275's.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #56
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I use this remote fill and vent cap on ours, this website SeaStar Solutions
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.23.05 PM.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Did you end up finding a breather cap? I need 2 for both my 275's.

You should be able to google and find them. If you have a compressed air [pneumatics] shop nearby they will have them. Even hydraulics shop should have them.

McMaster Carr although these things are cheap enough they may not respond.

YOu will only need one for the TOP pump. The other for a spare only.

Do NOT install one in the lower pump or you will have a leak. The top pump is the vent for the system and only needs one.

They are called a 'sintered bronze vent' .
Old 04-15-2017, 11:47 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Do I need 2 vent plugs?

Quote:
You should be able to google and find them. If you have a compressed air [pneumatics] shop nearby they will have them. Even hydraulics shop should have them.

McMaster Carr although these things are cheap enough they may not respond.

YOu will only need one for the TOP pump. The other for a spare only.

Do NOT install one in the lower pump or you will have a leak. The top pump is the vent for the system and only needs one.

They are called a 'sintered bronze vent' .
I have the same 275 pump on both helms. Boyh have reservoirs so shouldn't I need a cent olug on both? Helms work independently of each other.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #59
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
I have the same 275 pump on both helms. Boyh have reservoirs so shouldn't I need a cent olug on both? Helms work independently of each other.
Vent plug is only on the top helm pump, the lower remains sealed or the fluid would leak out of it........
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #60
Guru

No, you should not need one on each pump unless your system is plumbed very differently from most. Even then I still say it should be on the top most pump ONLY.

Otherwise the head pressure from the upper pump will push oil out of the lower pump vent creating another leak.

Mine is the same with 2 -#275 pumps and there is one vent only. The lower pump is SEALED and vented by the upper unit.