Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Make sure the shaft doesn't have any burrs on it so it doesn't tear the O-ring when you slide it on. One of mine looked like somebody had grabbed it with a pair of Visegrips.

Bob

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #22

City: North Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1981 Grand Mariner 40
Thanks Bob, I'll watch for that.

GordC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
A good hardware store should have an assortment of o-rings. I've had pretty good luck going that route.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Pensacola
You are probably going to need a new woodruff key also. I got the keys and the o rings at Advanced Auto. Paid less than 15.00 for all.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #25

I have completed my steering pump project. One pump was leaking from the steering shaft and the other from the shaft below it that controls the number of turn from lock to lock so I decided to buy kits. The pumps were Capilano Teleflex 250v's. Fortunately the kits contained all the O rings I needing and a bunch I didn't. I found a web site that gave me good info on taking the front cover off the pumps. The Marine Installer's Rant: The leaking Capilano caper
Once I had the covers off I noticed black sludge inside the cases that looked similar to dirty engine oil. The only place I thought it could be coming from was deteriorating O rings. Anyway whatever it was I decided to rip everything out of the cases and clean. It was pretty straight forward. You just grab the steering shaft and pull everything straight out of the case. Both sets of bearing are in cages so you don't have to worry about them flying all over the place. After I did the first pump I realized it was not necessary to remove the two circlips. While I was at it I replaced the two O rings on the outlet port valves. I reinstalled them on the boat and got half way through bleeding yesterday. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that they don't still leak.

The first pic shows the dirty oil in the case. Unfortunately the second is upside down but shows the cover being removed form the case. Looks like the third is upside down as well. Hopefully my wrench skills are better than my computer skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	26917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	26918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	26919  
Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
s'cip eht no boj dooG

sd
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
In Vancouver is Wraison Seals.

In Surrey is Production supply
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #28

City: Norfolk
Vessel Name: CATALINA
Vessel Model: Monk 36
GordC - This is my first post on this site. I've followed it for a while and appreciate all of the good advice.

I have a Capilano 1250V model, upper and lower helm station. The upper helm pump has a small leak coming from where the steering wheel shaft enters the pump housing. I'm guessing that I'll have to remove the pump, dissemble and replace the o-ring similar to what you did. Do you have any pictures that you can share . . or advice? Thanks!
Scott78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #29
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #30
Guru

Not sure what model I have, but I was able to just replace the O-ring from the front of the pump. No disassembly required. I think the shaft is 3/4" and the housing the O-ring fits into is 1".

Bob
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #31

Scott, I agree with Bob. As I remember, you would just have to remove the wheel and cover behind it. Just be careful not to scratch the shaft when you are removing the O ring. I don't know how much hydraulic fluid will leak out while the O ring is removed. Maybe Bob can answer that.

I don't have any pictures of the project except the ones I posted. I deleted them all after the job was finished. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #32
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The O rings are easy to replace, even for the VV models. No need to dissassemble. But I do it anyway, just so I know everything is good.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #33
Guru

There is no pressure on the system so there is no leak when you remove the O-ring. As mentioned previously, make sure there are no burrs on the shaft. On mine somebody had apparently used pliers or visegrips on the shaft and it took some filing and polishing to remove them.

Bob
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #34

City: Mooloolaba, Queensland
Vessel Name: Gypsy Lee
Vessel Model: 43 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer
Hi all. I hope someone is still around on this thread. I have just purchased a 43 Cheoy Lee and have noticed my 275V Capilano Helm Unit leaking badly from behind my steering wheel. can anyone tell me where I can order a seal kit please that will send to Australia? Ialso need instructions on how to remove and replace it. thank you in advance.
wallabyshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 AM   #35
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Is the leak coming from the wheel shaft?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 AM   #36
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabyshane View Post
Hi all. I hope someone is still around on this thread. I have just purchased a 43 Cheoy Lee and have noticed my 275V Capilano Helm Unit leaking badly from behind my steering wheel. can anyone tell me where I can order a seal kit please that will send to Australia? Ialso need instructions on how to remove and replace it. thank you in advance.
Hi and welcome aboard!
Try these guys Contacts | SeaStar Solutions Canada - Richmond, BC
They were great when I had some problems and I posted some manuals in the library section (top right corner of Trawler Forum). Good Luck.......
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #37
Guru

I had the same problem, leaking at the wheel shaft. Bought the seal kit and the only part not included was the o-ring for the shaft. Standard o-ring should be able to buy it at any hydraulic or industrial supply store. I think I posted the dimensions in a previous post in this thread. The retainer is just pushed into the housing, can be pried out with a small screwdriver.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #38
Guru

City: kemah
here you go...

Capilano seal fyi
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #39
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Before you replace the seal, make SURE that the upper helm unit has a proper vent plug installed. When I topped my helm unit up to the level called for in the manual, it started leaking the next day. I found that it had 2 solid fill plugs - no vent as required in the manual. I removed one and installed a vented plug and the leak immediately stopped and has not returned. Apparently with a larger air space, any pressure that built up was not enough to push past the seal. Once I topped up the fluid, the much smaller air space allowed the pressure to rise too much when it got warm.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #40

City: Mooloolaba, Queensland
Vessel Name: Gypsy Lee
Vessel Model: 43 Cheoy Lee Motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Before you replace the seal, make SURE that the upper helm unit has a proper vent plug installed. When I topped my helm unit up to the level called for in the manual, it started leaking the next day. I found that it had 2 solid fill plugs - no vent as required in the manual. I removed one and installed a vented plug and the leak immediately stopped and has not returned. Apparently with a larger air space, any pressure that built up was not enough to push past the seal. Once I topped up the fluid, the much smaller air space allowed the pressure to rise too much when it got warm.

Ken
Bloody hell. Thanks for the heads up Ken. Much appreciated.

wallabyshane is offline   Reply With Quote