I have completed my steering pump project. One pump was leaking from the steering shaft and the other from the shaft below it that controls the number of turn from lock to lock so I decided to buy kits. The pumps were Capilano Teleflex 250v's. Fortunately the kits contained all the O rings I needing and a bunch I didn't. I found a web site that gave me good info on taking the front cover off the pumps. The Marine Installer's Rant: The leaking Capilano caper
Once I had the covers off I noticed black sludge inside the cases that looked similar to dirty engine oil. The only place I thought it could be coming from was deteriorating O rings. Anyway whatever it was I decided to rip everything out of the cases and clean. It was pretty straight forward. You just grab the steering shaft and pull everything straight out of the case. Both sets of bearing are in cages so you don't have to worry about them flying all over the place. After I did the first pump I realized it was not necessary to remove the two circlips. While I was at it I replaced the two O rings on the outlet port valves. I reinstalled them on the boat and got half way through bleeding yesterday. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that they don't still leak.
The first pic shows the dirty oil in the case. Unfortunately the second is upside down but shows the cover being removed form the case. Looks like the third is upside down as well. Hopefully my wrench skills are better than my computer skills.