Knowing your boats systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spraygun

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cast Off
Vessel Make
1984 hunter 34
I was down at the marina for the last few days.I decided to take a break and walk over to the big boats side of the marina.l am currently still looking at a purchase in the future of a much larger boat.I am learning my way by meeting people with really large boats and talking to them and so on.Everyone is always nice and I always get invited aboard.However I discovered that many folks no nothing about what is under the cabin sole.It really hit me yesterday when I met a couple of fellows that both have fuel polishers on board and have no idea how to use them.They don't even touch any of the manifolds for fear of disaster. To me the disaster is not knowing what is down there.I know some people pay to have everything done in the engine room.But it would seem to me every skipper should know something about basic things like fuel tanks/manifolds etc.When our day comes for a larger vessel. Who is going too show me what to do? I don't expect many responses to this post.But it has been bothering me.Just something to ponder.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.
How do you like that phone and the speech to text feature? :blush:

Personally I feel that boat repair skills are part of what makes a good captain.

Good judgement
Good boat handling skills
Good boat repair skills.

Those three things make for a successful captain. Take any one of them away and there is a much higher risk during voyages.

We have had folks stop by our dock in FL , and were invited aboard for a look see , to the sounds of various beeps chirps and other noises.

All from the sophisticated electric toys a dealer stuck on the owner had no idea how to operate , after running down for 1/2 the loop from Chicago!!!

Under the cabin sole ? No idea at all.Dealer service call for an oil change.

I was down at the marina for the last few days.I decided to take a .................................But it would seem to me every skipper should know something about basic things like fuel tanks/manifolds etc.When our day comes for a larger vessel. Who is going too show me what to do? I don't expect many responses to this post.But it has been bothering me.Just something to ponder.

Well...the best I can do is the classic answer.... depends.

In all walks of life we learn the ropes from someone.

The time proven method of learning is "hear it, read it, question it, hear some more, read some more, get tested on it, go out and do it then review what has been learned. While easy for all my military training...kinda hard when part time learning about your own boat. And finding the "teacher" is also pretty difficult.

Finding someone who actually knows enough about all your systems yet is real enough to stop and say.."I don't know but I'll find out" is a rare quality. Most boaters I know just keep talking and bluff their way through some explanation that is derived from bit and pieces of info they sorta remember from a bunch of sources whether those sources were even remotely correct.

So you have a couple choices...try and find a person or several people who have amassed the info from working on boats for a long time that also will willingly share their time with you....or for the more expensive pieces of gear on your boat...hire professionals with some form of factory training to come and explain the system to you. Expensive...but often worth the money for systems where operator or maintenance error can be really expensive.

You are going to be in the same shoes for awhile that many delivery captains are in many days of the year. You take a job...show up to a boat...with a little time and basic understanding of boat systems...start'em up, and drive the boat for hundred's if not thousands of miles. The trick is to know when something isn't right and be able to shut it down and somehow proceed on. Some of us try and fix the system, some call the pro's for even a dripping faucet...we are all a little the same and yet all a little different....that's true of boat owners too.

So the question is...especially as boats get bigger...just how many fields of expertise are you willing to learn (that means get the explaination... then research the doodoo out of it to make sure your instructor wasn't full of doodoo....)?

There are sources available....the local assistance towing captain may help some if you trust him/her (I'm constantly in that situation), the "old timers over a beer or two(most of those you REALLY have to sort through the BS), some great mechanics/techs that have plenty of work will often throw a bone here or there because they know it's good for business....

But all in all...good things usually don't come cheap or free (forever)...so realy good advice is going to take a lot of effort on your part because just asking anyone can actually be worse than you just plodding through all the systems yourself until you feel confident in asking the right questions to the right people.

I should add that I do all the work on my own boat now. Stem to stern I handle it all. So I am not afraid. I take a piece of knowledge from each person that I meet.And I am always grateful. I am just really shocked at how many people don't know what's down there. I think the biggest problem is going to learn how to get one of those things out the slip and back in. Now for that I will need training.

"Who is going too show me what to do?"

In the US Navy they always create a PDL, pass down log.

Not many owners bother so part of purchasing the boat will be a day or more with the owner attempting to create one.

Better if you can to do this BEFORE a purchase , as finding the owner doesn't know what type of oil , or antifreez is being used would be a big turnoff.

Of course if the boat is a Hat or Bertram or Rybovitch and kept at that yard with 100% yard maint , a talk with the maint foreman is in order.

A C note or 3 for his time to help create a PDL would be currency well spent.

Last edited:
Yeah....I fully understand what you are saying.I do not have an inexhaustible trust fund. To have someone come change my oil or turn a valve for me.I really enjoy gettin in there and turning a wrench or something. Making something better than when I found it. This weekend I cleaned my heat exchanger and replaced the mixing elbow and checked out the whole cooling system. When I was all done it was a job well done..... No wait a job done well! It's just the bigger the boat the bigger the pieces.

The people who know the most about their boat are the DIYers who spend hours keeping everything running. They are the least likely to become prey to the many unscrupulous repair people that infest the industry. As a boater, knowledge is a defensive weapon to be used to protect yourself from thievery. Woe to the boater who calls a repairman, "my mechanic"; he is a sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

Then there's the owner like me who has the experience and knowledge but prefers to tell the mechanic what to do.

If it breaks somewhere where I can't find someone, then I will fix it. Until then, no thanks.

but prefers to tell the mechanic what to do.

It seems to me that every time I do hire a mechanic to work on the boat, I spend a considerable amount of time after they are finished, fixing whatever the heck they were working on (or whatever they stepped on and broke next to what they were working on). That's one way to learn your boat's systems. :facepalm:

It seems to me that every time I do hire a mechanic to work on the boat, I spend a considerable amount of time after they are finished, fixing whatever the heck they were working on (or whatever they stepped on and broke next to what they were working on). That's one way to learn your boat's systems. :facepalm:

I just had a guy install a fuel sending unit backwards so when the tank is full, it read empty.

Ha, ha! Same here, I just had a new steering ram installed and a new autopilot pump installed, which they wired up backwards and didn't bother to test! Oops!

The sad part is, I had fuel trucked in, while it was on the hard, so they could test the operation.

So when I topped them off, it read empty...

Personally I feel that boat repair skills are part of what makes a good captain.

Good judgement
Good boat handling skills
Good boat repair skills.

Those three things make for a successful captain. Take any one of them away and there is a much higher risk during voyages.

But what about speech to text?
My boat understands speech, I tell it to go straight and it goes straight. I tell it to turn and it goes straight. So it understands half my speech so far.

Just plug your Android cellphone into your autopilot..... Then give all those commands

But what about speech to text?
My boat understands speech, I tell it to go straight and it goes straight. I tell it to turn and it goes straight. So it understands half my speech so far.

The IPAD generation will quickly realize that there is no "boat fix" app. :blush:

Kevin-you could make a fortune if you developed a "boat fix" app!

Spraygun-my experience is owner's knowledge of his boat is inversely proportional to boat size. But then again, it is probably a function of wealth-if you can afford a $5M boat, you can afford to have someone else do the work.

Also, once beyond a certain point, I am not so sure that complexity increases that much with boat size. Past 38-40 feet or so, virtually all boats have the same or similar systems, just on a different scale. The operating and functional theories are the same. A 154 HP JD as we have generally operates on the same principles as a 2,500 HP MTU and has the same maintenance issues.

In my experience, organization of all the info surrounding the systems is a huge headache. We have decided to use a service to do that for us-Vessel Vanguard. We have had it for about a year and have been quite pleased with it. The setup is a bit expensive, $600 or so, but the annual cost is reasonable, around $200. I have access online to every manual, operating and repair. for every single piece of equipment on board. It keeps track of warranties, maintenance intervals (and notifies me), equipment lists with serial #s and the like, completed maintenance logs. They have significantly reduced the huge stack of paper on the boat. As an aside, I have no connection with them, just a pretty satisfied customer.

As to learning, as many have suggested, you can find qualified folks who will help you out, either because they like to or for pay. For me, I paid a local JD mechanic to spend two days with me going over everything engine and fuel related. It was well worth the cost.

Sounds like it's not much different than with their cars, when's the last time you saw someone check their oil at the gas station?

I met a couple of fellows that both have fuel polishers on board and have no idea how to use them..

Based upon what I have read and heard over the years, not understanding the mysticism surrounding many on-board polishing systems is quite common. Especially when using magnets to remove sludge from tank walls and paper towel fuel filters as part of the recipe.

If you attempted to explain the whys, piping and pumping schemes that are touted by many out there, no wonder the fellows may have seemed confused.

It's amazing what we cause ourselves and find out the hard way! Last Friday I left for a cruise and the auto pilot alarm went off with a message on the screen that said "not recieving compass signal". The prior weekend I was straightening up my spare part and tool storage area underneath the steps to the forward stateroom and placed a package of spare flashlight batteries in the back of the compartment under a black plastic box bolted to the back of the stairs. I now know where my electronic compass for my AP is!!! Moved the batteries and now it works!
John
MS390

I know what your sayin there. We had our boat for almost a year.And we were still finding nooks and crannies full of goodies. I was messaging someone earlier today. We were discussing hoping to find a boat with owners manuals and technical data. I told the person we looked at boats for a year before we have the one we have now. The day we opened the boat up it was very clean we started going through and found a couple of binders full of the original sales brochure and manual and schematics etc. Every piece of equipment that was added to the boat since 1984 was still on the boat. We knew that person cared. So that was the boat for us. Unfortunately the broker botched up the deal, so we were never able to meet the owner.Now we have about seven binders for the next folks.All neatly organized with plastic sleeves.

"It's just the bigger the boat the bigger the pieces."

So what , the maintof a 1/2 inch sea cock is identical to a 2 inch.

Pumping 6 gal of oil instead of 6 quarts , is hardly hard.

The usual hassle with bigger boats is more volume frequently means many more complex systems installed.

KISS,,,,and a "big" boat is as easy to maintain as a smaller boat.

Load it up with "necessities" or desirements and the work load goes way up!

I am in the process of building my boat now, I am 5 years and perhaps 60% done witha 32' Friday Island Ferry design. From the beginning my thinking has been that I want nothing abord that I cannot fix or repalce myself with either spare parts inventory or easily avaliable parts. That means some things are perhaps more basic than they would be in a production boat however I do have full standing headroom in the engine room. I am all in fovor of technology if it is used to "keep it simple" like the C-zone electrical distibution system but not technology for the " gee-whiz" factor.
I have not done everything myself, I have an excellent marine mechanic who comes in and works with me when needed and a great electrical engineer who is designing and specing the system, I will run the wire and he will come and inspect and do the final hook ups. However I will know this boat stem to stern.
The only mayor problem with this thinking is that when something goes wrong I will have no one to blame but myself.

Pictures of 32' Friday Island Ferry build

Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.41.39 AM.png
overall from Starboard quarter 2 months ago
Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.42.35 AM.png
Interior looking forward
Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.43.58 AM.png
View from the bow
engine room

Hope you can see tese images, thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.40.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.40.18 AM.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.59.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-25 at 10.59.21 AM.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 120
I bought a Hull and engine.
Every system on board I installed myself. and like my signature says.

If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat.

If something isn't working I know what is wrong. I don't have to sit and scratch my head trying to figure it out.

I think the best thing to do is get in there and get your hands dirty. Trace everything from start to end.

You can't just play with the boat all the time.
Gotta have down time to work on things.

sd

Back
Top Bottom