Key Power Stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

I have researched three stabilizer systems, Niad, TRAC, and Key Power. I decided on the Key Power system and was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with them?
Thanks for your input.

Not sure about stabilizers, but we have an keypower bow thruster in our Camano 31 and works like a champ!

On an aftermarket addition, I feel the prowess and experience of the install yard trumps brand. Select a yard who knows how to do this properly and can point to and show and tell their previous installs.

On TF we read about how OC some can be over a drip less system, just think how quickly your boat would go down if a stabilizer strike ruptures the hull rather than breaking off.

In FL you might care to PM RickB for a suggested yard or two. This is one area you don't want to select on install price only.

Just curious what made you decide on the Keypower system?
The Key Power stabilizers are made out of polyurethane which I believe is stronger and more durable than a fiberglass composite, which the others are made out of. I also believe they require less costly maintenance.

Thanks, I definitely agree. We are using Starlight Marine Services. They are a distributor and installer for Key Power. They also do the warranty work.

The Key Power stabilizers are made out of polyurethane which I believe is stronger and more durable than a fiberglass composite, which the others are made out of. I also believe they require less costly maintenance.
Oh ok two very valid points.

Drmnj. Am I confused? I thought your Northwest had ABT?

Not Key Power familiar as I am a Naiad fan, although you are correct service can be a little pricey every two to three years.

After having stabilizers I dont think I could go without them, last week crossing Mobile Bay there were some boat having all sorts of problems on the back side of a 30knot NE and we had no issue until I turned the stabilizers off to see what difference they were making, amazing the difference .

Also made life easier for the auto pilot.

Yeah expensive. We had ABT look up the history on our stabilizers, and in 2012 they had bent one and had to replace the shaft for 12 boat bucks if memory servers right.

Last edited:
N4712

It sounds like you grounded her if a shaft got bent. Nice to know a shaft will bend before the FRP gives way.

Our 7 ft2 Wesmars have been trouble free. Every 3 years or so stabilizers should have the lip seals redone. For us it is $1200 each time.

N4712 It sounds like you grounded her if a shaft got bent. Nice to know a shaft will bend before the FRP gives way. Our 7 ft2 Wesmars have been trouble free. Every 3 years or so stabilizers should have the lip seals redone. For us it is $1200 each time.
It was the previous owner. Hopefully we don't ever do that. With ABT you just give them a number issued when the stabilizers were installed and they could look up the whole service history. :nonono:

N4712 It sounds like you grounded her if a shaft got bent. Nice to know a shaft will bend before the FRP gives way. Our 7 ft2 Wesmars have been trouble free. Every 3 years or so stabilizers should have the lip seals redone. For us it is $1200 each time.

The way the Key Power stabilizers are made you do not have those lip seals to replace. That is another reason I chose them.

Got it. Thanks. I looked at "The Path" when it first came on the market and Nor wester. I thought they both had them. Thanks for setting me straight

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom