Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Pender Island
Country: Canada
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 70
Keel Cooled and Dry Exhaust

My education continues!!! The Allweather I'm very close to purchasing has a Keel Cooled/Dry Exhaust set-up ........... I've googled and have a general idea how this system works however I'm sure that there are contributors who would like to comment and point out the pros/cons of this set-up......... much appreciated.... john
__________________
Advertisement

Lucy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy 11 View Post
My education continues!!! The Allweather I'm very close to purchasing has a Keel Cooled/Dry Exhaust set-up ........... I've googled and have a general idea how this system works however I'm sure that there are contributors who would like to comment and point out the pros/cons of this set-up......... much appreciated.... john
That is the setup on Delfin. Pros are simplicity, no sea water entering the vessel and a cooling system entirely protected by coolant, so no zincs, corrosion, etc. Cons aren't many, perhaps just some trade offs. The keel cooler could be damaged if you hit something, although that is a function of poor design. If the vessel sits for awhile and depending on the motor, soot can be ejected on startup, but I have only had this be an issue once in 5 years, so it hardly qualifies as an issue, and can be reduced pretty significantly by running the engine up to 90% of WOT for 5 minutes about 15 minutes before shutdown. On Delfin, one mistake I made is not cocking the exhaust stack 30 degrees or so off to one side. The result is that I get exhaust soot on the mizzen mast. All that means is that I have to wipe down the mast instead of the hull, and I could have largely prevented the problem if I built the stack slightly differently.

Most commercial boats will be dry exhaust because the design is simpler with less to break.
__________________

__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Using the keel cooler you need to use 1/2 antifreeze and water. Put a bucket over the drystack so you don't get blowing rain in your exhaust. Other than that your good to go.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Using the keel cooler you need to use 1/2 antifreeze and water. Put a bucket over the drystack so you don't get blowing rain in your exhaust. Other than that your good to go.
And if a bucket over the stack isn't yachtie enough for you, one can build a faux stack that serves the same purpose. Here is a drawing of the one I designed and had built for Delfin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust stack.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	14753  
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Pender Island
Country: Canada
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 70
bucket man

I'm a bucket kind of guy BUT your plan will go into the file for future reference .... looks like it would be very functional AND it would look a lot better than the bucket ------ many thanks for your input... much appreciated,,, john
Lucy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Guru
 
Scary's Avatar
 
City: Walnut Grove Ca
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 884
Question with Keel cooler

How is the fuel, engine oil , and transmission cooler feed with coolant. I would think that a closed system wood run hotter than a sea water cooled system as most times coolers cool with sea water in front of the closed cooling system?
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
I have a transmission cooler in the series for the transmission. Coolent is pumped through a shoebox size heat exchanger. The fuel just gets hot and returns to the tank were I would consider that a heat sink unto itself. (250 gallons) The engine oil is cooled using a cooler, attached.

As long as you don't get to much build up on your keel cooler and it's sized right you shouldn't have any problems. And no sea water in the boat. Delfin, here is a picture of my "bucket" It works great and seam to be a series of pipe cut and welded to get a false stack and a much needed over hang. The only thing that gets me when tied to the dock and cold starting in the winter (stern faces north) I usally get a smoke out in engine room because the wind blows the white smoke back down the outer tube. I was going to get a steel plate fab'ed to block it off but the air flow is probably good for cooling the muffler. I don't know.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
How is the fuel, engine oil , and transmission cooler feed with coolant. I would think that a closed system wood run hotter than a sea water cooled system as most times coolers cool with sea water in front of the closed cooling system?
I think if the keel cooler is properly sized, they work as efficiently as they need to, just as a radiator works on a truck. On the CAT, the transmission oil goes through a heat exchanger that has engine coolant running through it. I don't think this engine has a separate oil cooler, but I'm not sure....

If you keep maintained coolant in a closed loop keel cooled engine, you eliminate a whole raft of other maintenance issues and failure points of a sea water cooled engine. If you're thinking about a sea water cooled engine through a heat exchanger, that seems like a system where the keel cooler is simply mounted internally, opening up separate maintenance issues.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I have a transmission cooler in the series for the transmission. Coolent is pumped through a shoebox size heat exchanger. The fuel just gets hot and returns to the tank were I would consider that a heat sink unto itself. (250 gallons) The engine oil is cooled using a cooler, attached.

As long as you don't get to much build up on your keel cooler and it's sized right you shouldn't have any problems. And no sea water in the boat. Delfin, here is a picture of my "bucket" It works great and seam to be a series of pipe cut and welded to get a false stack and a much needed over hang. The only thing that gets me when tied to the dock and cold starting in the winter (stern faces north) I usally get a smoke out in engine room because the wind blows the white smoke back down the outer tube. I was going to get a steel plate fab'ed to block it off but the air flow is probably good for cooling the muffler. I don't know.
When it rains, where does the water go? Or do you have an exhaust cap? I had one, but it made a racket at idle so I built the faux stack I showed.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Guru
 
swampu's Avatar


 
City: Biloxi, MS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
When it rains, where does the water go? Or do you have an exhaust cap? I had one, but it made a racket at idle so I built the faux stack I showed.
I don't have a good picture of the design but ultimately it looks like your design but with the final exit point horizontal. The small "actual" exhaust pipe is about 4 or 5 inch and the faux pipe is about 8 or 10 inches. That keeps the actual pipe from touching any wood going though the roof and the final bend on the faux pipe is about 1 foot so the rain is minimal. The only issue I ever have is when tied to the dock and starting up if the wind is blowing from the aft I'll get a little blow back on the smoke. I'll take some pictures today and try to post them up. I like your design, how does it work?
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,711
Dry stack systems aren't limited to large boats at all. Here is the "stack" on a friends Willard 30' Voyager.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0748 copy.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	14780  
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I don't have a good picture of the design but ultimately it looks like your design but with the final exit point horizontal. The small "actual" exhaust pipe is about 4 or 5 inch and the faux pipe is about 8 or 10 inches. That keeps the actual pipe from touching any wood going though the roof and the final bend on the faux pipe is about 1 foot so the rain is minimal. The only issue I ever have is when tied to the dock and starting up if the wind is blowing from the aft I'll get a little blow back on the smoke. I'll take some pictures today and try to post them up. I like your design, how does it work?
Seems to work ok. I don't see how any water can get into the main exhaust stack, and it looks good, or at least appropriate for the vessel.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
I think if the keel cooler is properly sized, they work as efficiently as they need to, just as a radiator works on a truck

"Proper sized " will usually be for a worst case Tropical warm water at full rated load.

Since this is overkill, or over cooling , for best operation a by pass thermostat is required between the engine and keel cooler.

This operates in the 50/50 coolant solution so there is little extra maint , tho they cost about $400 for the complete kit in 1 1/2 inch ( a common) size.

Cooling the exhaust manifold and oil and tranny are usually all part of the coolant ,circuit and require no extra concern.

For folks that operate in freezing conditions KK and DRY is the only rational choice.

Otherwise you must winterize the sea water side every time you shut down.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Guru
 
Phil Fill's Avatar
 
City: Everett Wa
Country: US
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,919
When we bought the Eagle had dry exhaust, which we changed to wet as the dry make the hot exhaust pipe make the engine room, salon, and lazaretto to hot and noise. Converted to a modified water lift muffler that is self draining, which cooled and quieted the exhaust. At least I do not glow, look like Alice Cooper, when checking the engine room. The Eagle exhaust could still be dry by opening an above water though hull, which I did once but the exhaust was still to hot/warm, so its been wet every since. Next pull I am going to take out and fill in that above the water line though hull. . I hate through hulls and took out all the through hulls below the water except the two in take for the gen set and main.


Most of the commercial trawlers are keel cooled, and dry exhaust. Again I would not have keel cool as the tubes are exposed and usually covered with growth. Yuck! I hate grow on the hull as I have a diver twice a year check/clean the hull. True no sea water gets inside the boat, but there are still two though hulls that could fail, and if the coils fail the only way to repair is pull the boat

Anyway, I think there are just as many cons as there are pos! If the boat already is keel cooled with dry exhaust you could still change the exhaust to let the sea water cool/quite and still be dry exhaust.


So is the gen set also keel cooled and dry?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,957
Just curious if you still have your Allweather boat and how you like it.
__________________
Jack (Steve?)
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #16
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
'Most of the commercial trawlers are keel cooled, and dry exhaust. Again I would not have keel cool as the tubes are exposed and usually covered with growth. Yuck

Most external keel coolers are on retrofitted boats , not new builds.

On steel boats a box is welded internally with fences inside to guide the water .

These are sized for worst case tropical waters , full rated load and growth on the hull.

Smooth on the bottom , but gen sets can grow extra dirty from the heat

IF I were specking a new build cruiser , KKDS (keel cooled dry stack) would be ONLY choice.

.Lived with both systems , would never go back!
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012