Jabsco Mk3 12v Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Thinking of converting a manual Jabsco Mk3 head to electric macerator by using the Jabsco conversion kit, which fits straight to the existing unit. The boat had an electric as OEM, a PO removed it, so we have wiring. A whole new Jabsco electric head costs 2/3 the price of the conversion unit. Odd, but there is an advantage, the manual pump is refitted if the electric fails. Redundancy with the dunny* is good.
Anyone fitted one? Experience? Like it? West Marine has reviews, apparently it is noisy, all but one reviewer found it reliable.
*( "Dunny" is Aussie slang for toilet/head/wc/lavatory/washroom/bathroom....)

The Jabsco 290200 "conversion" has never been a very reliable or durable toilet. It's noisy and power hungry, and very expensive for what it is...and the single intake/discharge impeller will clog on even a slight overload of TP. The ONLY thing it has going for it is, the pump assembly replaces the manual pump on the same base. You'd be a lot better off going with a 'conversion' to a true macerating electric toilet. They're a lot quieter, draw only 10-15 amps and cost about the same or even less. "Conversions" are available in both sea water and pressurized flush water version.

Last edited:
Thanks Peggie, I hoped you would post on this. Looks like I`ll go with a Jabsco electric. The other common brand here is TMC, it`s cheaper. Jabsco costs, TMC quality, not sure.

Bruce: Tecma is also readily available in Aust; I'd recommend at least getting a price, they are truly great. (Headhunter available too and get v good reviews; I think they are similar)

Bruce: Tecma is also readily available in Aust; I'd recommend at least getting a price, they are truly great. (Headhunter available too and get v good reviews; I think they are similar)

Headhunter is really a megayacht system...VERY power AND water hungry. Here in the US, service and tech support are only available from Headhunter in FL...suspect that it may be equally hard to find in AUS. Tecma, otoh, would be an excellent choice,although sea water models also tend to be a power and water hungry.

If you were in the US, I'd strongly recommend the Raritan Marine Elegance or their SeaEra QC over any toilet mentioned here...but the last time I checked prices for Raritan products in AUS, they were really high. Worth checking though.

We had a Jabsco electric conversion in our boat and while it worked, it was horribly noisy.

Ken

The noise will drive you crazy with that side mount conversion kit. Keep your bowl and put a Raritan Sea Era conversion kit under it. Check US prices. I've mailed a couple of them to OZ. Shipping isn't too bad if you use Priority Mail.

Parks, do you know if the Raritan conversion fits the Jabsco bowl? I can buy a whole new Jabsco electric for $450 locally, from Whitworths, our main chandlery chain.

Hi Bruce, yes the Jabsco bowls can be used with the Raritan conversion kit. The advantage the Raritan Sea Era has over the Jabsco 37010 series is that it uses a diaphragm intake pump vs a rubber impeller pump. The Raritan diaphragm pump is quieter. By the time the Raritan conversion kit got to you in OZ it would be more expensive than the Jabsco at $450.

Back
Top Bottom