Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
Jabsco Flush Toilet Solenoid 37038 Valve.

I seem to be having an issue with the solenoid that activates the head fresh water when I hit the button to activate the Jabsco electric head (Toilet) pump, Jabsco Q Flush Toilet Solenoid 37038 Series Valve.

This year and last year, after hitting the switch to activate the fresh water filling the bowl, the pump goes off as requires, but water still enters the toilet bowl. Sometime this happens so frequently the toilet bow fills up and a few times it over flowed. I now have three solenoids that I clean and replace the affected solenoids when this occurs.

When I clean the solenoid, I find very, very small particles of white sand like particles and can’t figure out where they are coming from. I use ‘city water’ to fill my tanks and on the Jabsco water pump there is a screen filter which appears to function ok (it’s not damaged nor plugged).

Looking for how not to be surprised…. I have replaced three solenoids so far this year. Good thing I have three as replacements.

Jim
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: AR
You should be looking for the SOURCE of the particles...the solenoid valves aren't creating 'em, it's just one of the things that's catching 'em..and prob'ly preventing 'em from getting to the cold water faucet in your head sink.

Fresh water, unlike bottled water, is not free of "ingredients" (hard water minerals, water treatment chemicals and elements etc) that can create sediment in the tank that's stirred up by the rocking and motion of the boat. If your water tank is aluminum those same things along with chlorine and even the level of acidity in the water are gradually wearing away the tank walls.. all of which explains the particles in your solenoid.

So I suggest you check the diffusion screens in all your faucets...and if you find the same particles, clean out your water tank and install a strainer between the tank and the water pump that can be easily accessed to clean it out regularly.

And fwiw, the average lifespan of an aluminum water tank is about 20 years... I dunno what yours is made of or how old it is, just thought it worth mentioning.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

Thanks Peggie.

My Jabsco pump has a screen filter on the the intake water hose, the particles must be getting through the screen. Looks like I need to install a filter capable of filtering the smallest particles before the water pump.

And yes, I have 10 yr old aluminum water tanks and they are in inaccessible locations.

Thanks for your reply,

Jim
Old 08-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
FWIW, we filter incoming freshwater when filling our tanks (sediment plus carbon block) and when connected to shorewater (sediment). Much better filtering than the screens can provide.

If you can drain and clean your freshwater tank, and then start a finer filtering regime afterwards, that might head off the problem. Pun unintended

-Chris
Old 08-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Guru

I worked at a company that manufactured solenoid valves.
I can tell you it doesn't take much or very large debris to cause a valve to leak.
Perhaps a sediment filter will help.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: AR
Can a solenoid valve be cleaned/rinsed out, Jay?

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I used the 37038 combination solenoid/vacuum breaker valve when I converted my old Raritan Crown raw water heads to fresh water flush. On rare occasion a bit of dirt lodges on the seal surface and a slow leak occurs. Maybe three times in the past ten years. I had installed an in-line shutoff at each head, so I don't have shut off water throughout the boat when I remove the offending valve for disassembly and cleaning (a fairly straight forward task). I do have an in-line filter on the fresh water system (whether feeding from tank or shore). That valve is a very compact solution for a raw water to a fresh water conversion project.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Can a solenoid valve be cleaned/rinsed out, Jay?

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
If you can get the unit apart it can be cleaned. However, if the seal face gets a permanent "nick" or depression from the debris, then it may no longer seal.
Same if it gets a scratch on the sealing surface of the orifice. It doesn't take much.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 AM   #9

I have cleaned the solenoids and have gotten the debris out. It only takes a few minutes, and after cleaning them a few times, you can almost do it blindfolded. I have a few on board as spares. I do like the idea of installing a shut off at each head, so I won't have to shut down the entire system to replace the solenoid.

Jim
Old 09-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Haven't heard anyone say "house system filter". Our boat didn't have one... first thing I did was install a house filter and I filter the incoming water to the tanks.

Dave
Old 09-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Haven't heard anyone say "house system filter". Our boat didn't have one... first thing I did was install a house filter and I filter the incoming water to the tanks.

Dave
Post 4.

-Chris