Jabsco electric toilet overfilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigelk

Hi all,
I have a 7 year old Jabsco electric head that is functioning fine. It has historically had a water level of around 15cm but lately when left in Port has risin to 3 inches below the rim. I believe this is the sea level. The bowl only slowly fills.
The boat has a holding tank but the head is rarely used and the valve is directed straight out.
Welcome some advice about how to sort this as it seems potentially hazardous.
Thanks everyone.
Kind regards
Nigel

Two possibilities:
1) The solonoid on the freshwater supply is leaking
2) the thru-hull between holding tank and "outside" is open and the tank (and then bowl) is backfilling with sea water.

Given your description, sounds like your system is reaching equilibrium in the second possibility.

-Chris

Thanks Chris,
We have a diverted that either directs flow from the toilet to the tank or directly out. It is currently directing flow straight out. Ichecjed the tank and it is empty.
I closed the seacock on the outlet and the toilet still overfilled in a couple of hours.
Guess this is pointing to a leaking solenoid. Any idea where I can source some information on how to service it?
Many thanks for your help and advice.
Regards
Nigel

Jabsco video on Youtube

Guess this is pointing to a leaking solenoid. Any idea where I can source some information on how to service it?

If you have a Quiet Flush this is probably what you're looking for. If it gets to 3" below the rim and stops, my guess is it's not the solenoid. The solenoid will usually keep leaking until the bowl overflows (unless of course, you turn of your water pump).

Last edited:
Thanks Chris,
We have a diverted that either directs flow from the toilet to the tank or directly out. It is currently directing flow straight out. Ichecjed the tank and it is empty.
I closed the seacock on the outlet and the toilet still overfilled in a couple of hours.
Many thanks for your help and advice.
Regards
Nigel

As Harry suggests, I'd have guessed your holding tank thru-hull valve is the more likely culprit. That would be a different thru-hull valve than the one that sends waste overboard directly from the toilet.

Google Xylem/Jabsco for manuals and support. The Jabsco support guy in our neck of the woods is Paul Compagna. I don't have his phone number or e-mail with me here on board just now, but you can search posts by HeadMistress here (or PegHall on cruisersforum.com) for his contact info (I'm sure Peggie has posted it more than once).

-Chris

I have links to all the owners manuals (such as they are). But I have questions that need answers before offering any advice:

There are several Jabsco electric toilet versions...is yours a 37010, 37045, or 37055? If a 37045 or -55, is it a sea water version or one designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water?

Is the water filling the bowl clean or dirty (flush water or backing up)? If clean SEA water, is there a vented loop in the intake line? If so, is there a solenoid valve on it? If a sea water toilet, is there a vented loop in the discharge line? If not, when if ever was the last time the y-valve was checked for sea water mineral buildup and cleaned if necessary?

--Peggie

Last edited:
Hi Peggie
I am away for 10 days and will get back to you when I return with more details.
It is a sea water version with one motor by the looks running the clean in and macerating and pumping out the bottom. It doesn’t have a pressure tank. It doesn’t have a vented loop but the piping has been in the boat for 20 years without this issue.
I gave checked and it doesn’t seem to have a solenoid that I can see. The top of the toilet bowl is above sea level so the bowl doesn’t overflow but does overfill.
The water coming into the bowl appears clean but the outlet is directed straight overboard so if it was to be backfilling from the outlet I would have guessed the water would look clean.
Thought about putting in a dye and just emptying the bowl to see where it was coming from.
I would have thought the impellor in the clean water pump would have stopped leakage unless worn.
The toilet is 5 years old and has never been serviced and I wondered if the one way valve could have built up some crud and be leaking.
Appreciate your help and look forward to your advice

Hi Peggie
Model number is 37010-1090.
I gave shut off the inlet and left the outlet open. Still filled up so seems water coming in through the inlet side.
I must confess it seems to have markedly improved with lots of use with
Would really appreciate some advice on servicing it.
Many thanks
Nigel

Hi Peggie
Model number is 37010-1090.
I gave shut off the inlet and left the outlet open. Still filled up so seems water coming in through the inlet side.
I must confess it seems to have markedly improved with lots of use with
Would really appreciate some advice on servicing it.
Many thanks
Nigel

37010 isn't a Quiet Flush... so my previous comments probably don't apply. The solenoid I mentioned in ours is on the freshwater supply line. Maybe your 37010 is a raw water (sea water) flush model?

-Chris

Hi Nigel...You need a vented loop in the inlet that's at least 6-8" above waterline. If you install it between the thru-hull and the pump as shown in the drawing on page 2 of the owners manual Jabsco 37010 owners manual, you'll also need put a solenoid valve on it that's wired to the flush button. However, if you install it between the pump and the bowl--which requires replacing the short piece of hose now connecting 'em with new hoses long enough to put the loop where it belongs--no solenoid valve is needed, only an air valve as shown in the photo (Geeze, IT...any chance you can make thumbnails just a wee bit smaller than a bedsheet???)

--Peggie

Attachments

• Jabsco 37068-2000 vented loop with solenoid valve.jpg
    Jabsco 37068-2000 vented loop with solenoid valve.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Vented loop with air valve.jpg
    Vented loop with air valve.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom