Old 07-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Jabsco Compact Electric Toilet

After flushing the water in the bowl slowly drains. It drains back through the flush water connection, if I close the flush water thru hull the bowl doesn't drain. Looking at the parts blow up it's not obvious what might need to be replaced. Thinking the raw water impeller might be worn?

Any thoughts?

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If its the model 370xxx, there is a rubber impeller pump for the seawater inlet, and a hard plastic impeller with chopper blade for the discharge to the outlet. If the bowl doesnt empty, there is a seal between the inlet and outlet impellers that can blow out which recirculates the waste instead of pushing it out to the holding tank. If you throttle almost closed the inlet seacock, you may be able to pump out the bowl. If this is you, a rebuild kit is about $60. Not too hard of a job.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
A second thought- and not pleasant. Mine was doing something similar and it was a new toilet. I found the lines had a crystalline like build up in them that was the result of seawater flushing and urine. Spoke to Marine Sanitation in Seattle. They confirmed this is quite common in older boats, and they sold an acid designed to eat it away. Tried the acid and it worked!...for a few days! I just got done replacing all of my hoses for the aft head. Not fun!!!

Hope yours is just a bad impeller!

Jeff
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Let me see if I understand what is happening.
You flush the toilet and the waste leaves the bowl as it should.
Then over time the clean water that was left in the bowl slowly drains out through the intake hose. Is this correct?

Which Jabsco electric toilet do you have?
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Let me see if I understand what is happening.
You flush the toilet and the waste leaves the bowl as it should.
Then over time the clean water that was left in the bowl slowly drains out through the intake hose. Is this correct?

Which Jabsco electric toilet do you have?
That's it exactly. If I close the raw water sea cock the water stays in the bowl. It's the Jabsco Compact Electric. The cheapest one there is. The macerator and flush pump are driven by one common motor.

Bob
Old 07-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Guru

"If I close the raw water sea cock the water stays in the bowl."
Very strange! Archie mentioned the seal between the intake pump and the discharge pump. Sounds like a good place to start.

Here is a link to the parts list. The seal Archie is talking about is #19 on the drawing.
A bad joker valve could let it leak out the discharge hose but closing the intake seacock wouldn't affect that.
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...43000-0612.pdf

A complete motor and pump assembly for that toilet runs about $195.

You can also convert it into a Raritan Sea Era for about $425. The Sea Era is quieter and there is no connection between the intake and discharge pumps.

You should contact Jabsco customer service. They are nice folks and I suspect replacing the seal will solve the problem.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
Guru

I think I'll order the seal and a new impeller. We already spent a bunch of money for a Raritan Elegance for our aft stateroom so for the time being I'll try to fix this one instead of replacing it.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Mine did that too. From what I understand, it has to do with the routing and elevation of the supply and/or waste hoses. Sorry that I can't be more specific than that, but I didn't get around to fixing it before we sold the boat. IIRC, I saw a post about it on Cruiser's Forum.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
Guru

"I think I'll order the seal and a new impeller."
Good choice. Let us know what you find when you take it apart. This is a good puzzle.

"We already spent a bunch of money for a Raritan Elegance for our aft stateroom..."
Also a good decision.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Sorry that I can't be more specific than that, but I didn't get around to fixing it before we sold the boat.
I already tried that solution. No takers so I guess I'll have to fix it.

Bob
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
I had almost the same problem. Sea water came in and looped to the height I wanted water to stay in the bowl. Sewage from the pump more or less dropped to the holding tank. I noticed that my holding tank would get full in about two days even without use of the toilet. The system was siphoning. Once I put a vacuum breaker in the sewage line wallah everything has worked fine for several years now. I can see very easily that you could have the same problem the other way and siphon all the water out of the bowl back into the sea. Install a vacuum breaker.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
After flushing the water in the bowl slowly drains. It drains back through the flush water connection, if I close the flush water thru hull the bowl doesn't drain. Looking at the parts blow up it's not obvious what might need to be replaced. Thinking the raw water impeller might be worn?

Any thoughts?

Bob
Install a one way in the line.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote