Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Region
Jabsco 37045 leak

Greetings. My boat is equipped with a Jabsco Quiet Flush 37045. I believe the
Bowl Seal O-ring needs replacement. I would greatly value instructions on the replacement process.

Jabsco tech support is not reachable through the Xylem website -- I've emailed twice and have never received a response. There is no US phone number listed, and their video tutorials do not include this particular repair. I have been unable to find anything pertinent through google web searches. (Always possible I've missed something, of course.)

Anyone know of a source for instructions?
Catbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Send a PM to the “Head Mistress”, the most head knowledgeable member on he Forum. I bet she’d know.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Guru

City: AR
No need to send me a PM...

Which version is your toilet--Sea water or pressurized flush water?

Do you have the owners manual for it? If not, I can send you a link to it when I know which version.

Where exactly is water leaking from it?

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It is the pressurized fresh water version.

It's leaking water and liquid waste from the seam between the bottom of the bowl and the top of the plastic shroud. I also see leaking from the very bottom seam where the plastic shroud meets the sole. The leaking is not a gusher - more of a weeping. (I'm assuming the bottom-most leak is gravity fed from the same leak occurring above?)

I don't have any manual other than very basic installation instructions and an exploded parts chart.

Thanks in advance for any info you have!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Guru

I don't have any manual other than very basic installation instructions and an exploded parts chart.

Then you prob'ly already have what passes for the manual for any Jabsco toilet. But just in case, here's a link to it (you may find some useful info on page 4):
Jabsco Quiet Flush FW owners manual

It's leaking water and liquid waste from the seam between the bottom of the bowl and the top of the plastic shroud.

That would confirm your guess that the bowl seal is leaking.

I also see leaking from the very bottom seam where the plastic shroud meets the sole. The leaking is not a gusher - more of a weeping. (I'm assuming the bottom-most leak is gravity fed from the same leak occurring above?)

Maybe, maybe not. Remove the shroud, wipe everything dry and flush the toilet to see whether water is only leaking between the bowl and the pump assembly or somewhere else too. You may need a "service kit" for it. At very least you need a new bowl gasket and instructions to use it. If that's not the only leak, I'm not sure whether it's included in the kit or, without actually seeing the toilet, whether a kit is the answer. So I'm gonna turn you over to Jabsco tech support that you can actually reach. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978-282-5246.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I'll follow up with Jabsco's toilet guru if needed. Many many thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Mine was actually leaking at the bowl gasket and also the motor shaft seal .
Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #8

City: Pompano Beach, FL
If you’re pulling the bowl off Check the rest of the mechanism. I had a bad pump seal, rotten duckbill valve and broken impeller. I’m getting ready to tackle the second one in the next week or so. These are not jobs you want to do twice.
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky day View Post
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I'll follow up with Jabsco's toilet guru if needed. Many many thanks!

Peggie beat me to posting his number, but FWIW Paul is very helpful.

-Chris
Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkeller View Post
If you’re pulling the bowl off Check the rest of the mechanism. I had a bad pump seal, rotten duckbill valve and broken impeller. I’m getting ready to tackle the second one in the next week or so. These are not jobs you want to do twice.
How old are they?

Peggie
Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #11

City: Pompano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
How old are they?

Peggie

Unknown age on mine. But non functioning and evidence of leaking when I bought the boat so I pulled them to rebuild. Seals are cheaper than motors!
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Jabsco repair kits usually come with detailed full instructions and diagrams. For the price they should come gold plated too.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Jabsco repair kits usually come with detailed full instructions and diagrams. For the price they should come gold plated too.

We have a leak at present and cant find where from and now thinking it would be easier to just replace the whole unit for $6 boat dollars or is that $0.6 ? not much difference
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
We have a leak at present and cant find where from and now thinking it would be easier to just replace the whole unit for $6 boat dollars or is that $0.6 ? not much difference
Our marina mechanic pulled down a non functioning manual Jabsco, spent $6 on the parts it needed instead of $100+/- for a kit, but maybe it`s time to replace all wear parts if one fails.(He charges double time for dunny repairs.)
A whole new electric Jabsco macerator is about $450, repair kit is $110. Replacing like with like new might be worthwhile.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Benicia, California
Vessel Name: Lucky Star
Vessel Model: Ho Hsing
What I thought was a leak at my bowl to base gasket turned out to be a rotted flush motor body. Evident as soon as I flipped the toilet upside down. I sent the gasket kit back and found a new out of box replacement toilet with motor for 320 usd all on eBay
Good luck
Robvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

First - thanks to you all for the replies. I've read them closely.

Peggy, the head appears to have been installed in 2004 - I don't know if the seals have ever been replaced. I spoke to Paul Campagna at Jabsco/Xylem yesterday to get details on the replacements. He was very helpful.

I have the seal replacement kit on hand and will get some other supplies (gloves, cleaners etc.) today. I'll start the job this weekend and will update this thread with results.

Thanks again for all the info and feedback!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Guru

A whole new electric Jabsco macerator is about $450, repair kit is $110. Replacing like with like new might be worthwhile.

If you're faced with replacing the entire pump/motor assembly, the top rated Raritan SeaEra "conversion" Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet is about the same price as a replacement Jabsco pump/motor assembly. Raritan SeaEra "conversion" at Defender

Fwiw, All Raritan toilets are still made in the US...All Jabsco equipment sold in the US is now made in Mexico with parts and materials sourced from China and other Asian countries.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quick follow up -- I replaced just the bowl seal and the duckbill and reassembled the unit. Have used the head just a few times since and so far so good. When I relaunch in about a month, I will be watching closely to see if more repair will be needed.