Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Our Tecma is 13 years old and still going strong with no hint of any problems (yet!!). Only complaint is that it uses a lot of water that goes to the holding tank. Only solution so far is to "let it mellow" if we do not see a pump out opportunity near by. The other head is a manual Raritan (with spare joker valve etc) -- just in case!!
This is good to hear as I also own a Tecma Silence. I installed it 5 years ago to replace an old and loud electric head. We haven't had any problems at all and consider this head as one of the best purchases for the boat. It is very quiet but you can hear the boat's fresh water pump every flush.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I have a Jabsco to me it is only loud when you are in the head.

You could always try sound proofing the head.

Sd

Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post

At the boat shows we have looked at toilets and Raritan and Tecma are what most are recommending aas they have the push equal to the Jasbsco. Any ideas how to make the Jabsco maserator grinder/impleller more agressive?
Fortunately for you, Phil, Septco offers this infallibly green accessory for chronic cloggers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	septco.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	13222  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I'd have to vote for the Groco model KH manual.
I just looked at the illustrations and specs for the Groco KH. It appears to be a direct descendent of the Groco EB that we have on our boat. If it has the same reliability and robustness of the EB, the KH is what we would get as replacement toilets, too.

Our EBs are electric in the same way the KH is electric--- a motor is connected to the operating arm of the toilet. We disconnected the motor gearboxes from the arms because the motors are very noisy (on the EB, don't know about the KH). And in addition to the elimination of the noise we found that operating the toilets manually allows one to "temper" the pumping by the the feel of what's being pumped. In other words, if more resistance is felt as "stuff" goes through a Y-valve, it's a simple matter to slow down and ease it through rather than ram it through and possibly jam it which the electric motor would do. So we would opt for the manual version of the KH for this reason.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Fortunately for you, Phil, Septco offers this infallibly green accessory for chronic cloggers.

Thank you for the suggestion, but the Stompomatic is sized for domestic 3” pipe. However we already have a Ramomatic plunger which is size marina 1" to 1 1/2" hoses.

My wife would never ever go back to a manual toilet. Installing new electric toilets was the top priority when we bought the boat. Besides if the toilet plugs you know who’s job it is to unplug it. One guess and its NOT my wife.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Besides if the toilet plugs you know who’s job it is to unplug it. One guess and its NOT my wife.
No wonder she loves you so much...............AT
Old 09-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We installed a Raritan Sea Era unit on our boat last winter. I guess it's a nice unit in that it flushes well, is easy to clean, and has a small footprint. But I would not call it quiet.

The only quiet units I've ever operated are manual.

The decision to go with Raritan was a result of a long telephone discussion with Peggie Hall and subsequent followup research. We are very happy with it, except for the noise.

Peggie has pulled back from her forum participation to focus on her new book, and when I asked her about posting her e-mail ID she asked that I not, as she is fully occupied at the moment. Hopefully she will again find time to contribute here (and on other forums) as she has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share.
And if you are every fortunate enough to have a telephone conversation with her, you will find she is an absolute delight.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #28
FF
Guru

For folks that live in the many no discharge zones,

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The environmentally ...

www.natureshead.net/

These work , dont stink , and use no electric or $400 pumps.

A bag of Pete Moss is about a 1 year supply.

Many other brands, for sale .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

www.natureshead.net/

A bag of Pete Moss is about a 1 year supply.

Many other brands, for sale .
ICK!!!

Not a chance!
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #30
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
A while back someone posted about using Petrowrap AKA grease tape on smelly sanatary hose.
I wonder if it worked over time.

SD
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
ICK!!!

Not a chance!
So it seems it come down to 4 toilets: Jabsco, Raritan, Tecma and VacuFlush. If I can no make the Jabsco more aggressive, then the next is Tecma. Jabsco and Raritan both have the 90 degree turn in the toilet and a 1” discharge, and Vacuflush is simple not in the running because of the hose run, so that leaves Tecma. I believe Tecma has a more straighter 1 ½” discharge and the macerator impeller looks more aggressive. However, the push is still a question. So its either stay with what we have Jabsco or Tecma.

Take a look at the Microphor which works like a septic tank, no chemicals/electricity. Just use it. We have a 4 person Microphor, but it’s a little pricey, but I, err the boat is worth it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

www.natureshead.net/

The company I work for tried these on one of our yachts, and now we have several for sale in our warehouse. Apparently, for what ever reason, they didn't go over well with our charter guests, or they couldn't handle the volume. I was offered one, but declined although I sure like the idea, thanks Fred.........Arctic Traveller
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
We've been very happy w the raritan electric fresh water heads we installed last year to replace Jabsco raw water electric. One of them has a good 12-15 foot hose run but no issues. Vacu flush were nothing but problems on prior boat but I'm sure they had not been maintained so I will allow room to hope they could be better than I think.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
We've been very happy w the raritan electric fresh water heads we installed last year to replace Jabsco raw water electric. One of them has a good 12-15 foot hose run but no issues. Vacu flush were nothing but problems on prior boat but I'm sure they had not been maintained so I will allow room to hope they could be better than I think.
So why did you change? Both have 90 turn, and side discharge 1"?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
The only fresh water electric head we have had has been a Vacuflush so I have nothing to compare it to. In over 5 years it has clogged once that required disassembly and that was by a guest. They seem noisy when flushed but we're use to it. It's probably not the most guest friendly head for guests. They need to get use to quickly releasing the foot peddle.

They are a simple system. Leaks are easy to deal with if you have one (usually after I have changed the 4 duckbills). We do nothing for maintenance other than use it; no periodic chemicals or weekly bucket flushes. Duckbills get changed when it won't hold a vacuum usually 6-12 months of daily use. We have never had an issue getting parts. We'd buy another one.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill

So why did you change? Both have 90 turn, and side discharge 1"?
Smell. 27 year old raw water heads in salt water stank to high heaven. Fresh water have no odor.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #37
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M
The only fresh water electric head we have had has been a Vacuflush so I have nothing to compare it to. In over 5 years it has clogged once that required disassembly and that was by a guest. They seem noisy when flushed but we're use to it. It's probably not the most guest friendly head for guests. They need to get use to quickly releasing the foot peddle.

They are a simple system. Leaks are easy to deal with if you have one (usually after I have changed the 4 duckbills). We do nothing for maintenance other than use it; no periodic chemicals or weekly bucket flushes. Duckbills get changed when it won't hold a vacuum usually 6-12 months of daily use. We have never had an issue getting parts. We'd buy another one.
I truly think we just had bad apples due to lack of maintenance. They both had vacuum leaks even after pro service so the vacuum was priming frequently--and that WILL wake you up. Plus all sorts of other issues. But honestly the whole boat was one issue after another--it had been repo-ed one owner prior then the immediate prior owner owned it very briefly so I'm sure it had not been maintained!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
every time I read all these posts...I'm glad I thought outside the box on marine sanitation systems and designed my own...inexpensive, reliable, quiet, easy to maintain...operator friendly..listening to "experts" leaves you nowhere in this particular quagmire...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #39
Guru

Did a miracle take place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Traveller View Post
it matters little now, as I won't spend another dime on it. I already feel better knowing it's out of my life forever. Anyone want it for free?..........Arctic Traveller
So, no one wanted my old Tecma. I told my wife I intended to smash it to small pieces and throw it in the dumpster just to feel better about it. She on the other hand asked me if I had called Thetford, as did others. So, I decided to call one last time to get it off my chest forever. Sometimes you talk to customer service reps that clearly need to take a vacation or to find a new job. Once in a while though you get to talk to the one who just got back from vacation, and yesterday I hit the jackpot. I don't know where she went or what she did, but she was in a really good mood. When I told her my sad story, she asked me a bunch of questions I didn't know the answer to (serial number,date of manufacture etc) and then said she would be sending me a new pump/motor AND the newly designed waste discharge tube that solves the problem of the plugged bleeder. I'm stunned, but I have mixed emotions about it. I stated in no uncertain terms that I would never spend another dime on it. Still, how could I pass up a free motor? Well, were due to depart Juneau after the next storm rolls through, but the new motor won't arrive sooner than next Tues or Wed, and in order to make it happen that quickly, I had to pay $100.00 in overnight shipping. So....now we will have our Tecma for the trip, but I had to bring my self to spend more money on it. Next year, I"ll have a better idea of how I feel about it. ................ Arctic Traveller
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
every time I read all these posts...I'm glad I thought outside the box on marine sanitation systems and designed my own...inexpensive, reliable, quiet, easy to maintain...operator friendly....

So, do tell.(a bucket perhaps?)........................AT