Isinglass/Sunbrella Enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wonderfulwade

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
LAZY LIBRA
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 44
Adding a full Flying Bride enclosure to the list of "must haves"

Who would you recommend?

What would be a ballpark fair price?

What are your insider tips?

It was suggested to us to have estimates done in Florida rather than the Carolinas due to better experience and more competition.

I would not use vinyl on a bet, only polycarbonate. it will be clearer and last longer.

PS. bots haven't used isinglass(dried fish bladders) in decades. they are all vinyl

Adding a full Flying Bride enclosure to the list of "must haves"

Who would you recommend?

What would be a ballpark fair price?

What are your insider tips?

It was suggested to us to have estimates done in Florida rather than the Carolinas due to better experience and more competition.

So many options, it comes down to the size of your wallet. Stamoid is an option with polycarbonate clear panels. You could easily spend $20K. Or half that for lesser quality. For warm climates being able to open things up is critical. Consider a clear glass windshield insert if you are out in foggy and rainy weather.

Similar to asking how much does a car cost? No shortage of answers.

FWIW I have a Marine trader 40 foot and I had the flybridge and sundeck redone with samoid and strataglass last year. $7500 including bimini.

FWIW I have a Marine trader 40 foot and I had the flybridge and sundeck redone with samoid and strataglass last year. $7500 including bimini.

Thanks for the useful, helpful reply!!

Surf Yacthtworld using trawlers and 40 to 45' as the search criteria and look at the pics. You will see some of everything. Then when you find one that you really like, copy the pic and print it out or save it to your phone or tablet so you can show suppliers what you want.

I wouldn't go through the entire hard quote process with more than one. Just go see a couple of shops, show them the pic and ask what it would cost in the materials you want.

If I were doing a full enclosure I would want a full opening front and a zip out U on each side and an opening back either like the front or a couple of Us.

David

I had a full isinglass enclosure on my last sailboat. At night with salt spray on it I couldn't see anything. my $.02.

I would consider getting a quote with " Tenara" thread as an option. Usually the poly thread that most shops use rots out in half the life of the fabric used for the panels.
Then your faced with a resew of all seams which isn't cheap in itself. Just a thought.

Bill

She'll be screaching ifn your seams are flapping!

Take a look at O'Sea for the clear panels. It's cheaper than Strataglass, more resistant to scratches and chemicals (suntan oil), and more readily available.

For the bimini top, be sure the seams are well sealed, or you'll have rain down the back of your neck.

If I were doing a full enclosure I would want a full opening front and a zip out U on each side and an opening back either like the front or a couple of Us.QUOTE] That's what I have but mine is not Strataglass. (Wish it was!) I have been told by one of the leading canvas guys in San Diego that polycarbonate tends to get vertical lines in it after about 4 years of service. (I can't confirm that, however.) Ihave a good friend who has a strataglass enclosure that is about 3 years old and it looks terrific!

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 105
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 134
Mine is not Strataglass. (Wish it was!) I have been told by one of the leading canvas guys in San Diego that polycarbonate tends to get vertical lines in it after about 4 years of service. (I can't confirm that, however.) I have a good friend who has a strataglass enclosure that is about 3 years old and it looks terrific!

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 108
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 89
I think we paid $3500 2 years ago in Ct to have a replacement enclosure made. It was with the polycarbonate panels and the tanara thread.
This did NOT include the stainless as we re-used the old ones.
Two smiles for the front, no side openings, 3 panels on the back that roll up.

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 102
We just replaced our canvas and isinglass on 400 Mainship. We live in the Norfolk ,VA area and only solicited two quotes . Both quotes were approximately$6000. We went with Signature Canvas out of HAMPTON,VA. Excellent product.

Funny thing, our Hatteras came with a full FB enclosure. In the 4 years the PO owned it and the 7 years and about 15,000 miles we did, it never left it's storeage spot under the FB console. And the FB was by far our favorite spot to run the boat.

On the other hand, we loved the EZ2CY polycarbon enclosure for the rear of the aft deck: incredible visual clarity, easy to maintain, and was 10 years old when we left her. The big center panel swung up and was attached to the ceiling in all but the foulest weather.

tcjzcAtE75M0TDjHhyTGjDRGnrAzsszfPJYjPhDXPN9HR9_JapW4jDcknHlHbMvQWSzlWUeTxGL1_CbNSNZsKvvN9W0Kbwj-lW0TKR8N3xk9k5atlt8WhzLkoQrrJk_kjgtr7VrJ8TjhKclyaf04Y4VynzI2armdozMZ8fTO1Pc95Zb2RoLb3y94YwXmJOirrOCt_GkBf3mMj9aDqTOMUKIAXl11NaT3PBosMiCuybyEy6jrtcqlCtPND-FKgAto6jg_kCQAX5KHa84tpAnih24U437FxICMCV9rcZAsOJxs6-Bwj54zaK9DA-6nZVz1g78oGstvSBOk2GDbj5YkoX4y9LLAqgnv3Ou9K__gOjf8HjKD51eJXu7bxRzRYBkc7SRvgqjXhCCLMTrReujiSeqI74BlJrIaXUFrzNKty3okil9QQ4Y5ICwj91-O13HhUnQbBiG-LBMWBPUEMWmV8zph0XE2d3N26m2zgBbptxEgGOl-lju6ddWPEfwHdLOtc_ylSub4CcRdloenrDX-uy6R5odxbnMaExtRq8-fHqLosoIA8IsymvEUplP6I9uLHHC_ilSxI0aj7Kp8q7JaCqj_VGzduww=w1000-h669-no

Most of the high end sportfishers around here use the same method and material on their bridges.I strongly endorse others recommending Stamoid and Tenara, not just for this, but also biminis and covers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom