Interesting Mod???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
I noticed this on a boat and am wondering why the owner made a hull modification for it? Would this have some impact on handling? Sender?

image-1477453829.jpg

From below...

Attachments

• image-1264852091.jpg
    image-1264852091.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1572608426.jpg
    image-1572608426.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 123
Looks like sonar to me.

Looks like that cribbing is a bit weak in the bottom pic.

Eric is correct, it is a forward looking unit that lowers down through the hull and can be directed to look around in differend directions. They may have been made by interphase.
If I recall correctly they were very spendy and worked so so
Hollywood

All the barnacles on it probably don't help either.

Is it a sonar for when you are moving? It seems like it would be potentially hit under water if it was lowered?

"Is it a sonar for when you are moving? It seems like it would be potentially hit under water if it was lowered? "

If it forward looking sonar you should see anything big enough to hurt it before you hit it. Think of it as underwater radar.

Of course if debris knocks it off 4 or 5, 2000GPH bilge pumps may not stop the flooding.

I used to have one of these 20 years ago made by Wesmar, base unit was about $30K with a colour crt display. This one looks a bit different but on mine it was a glass dome that lowered down out of the hull electrically. Inside the dome was the transducer & it could be remotely tilted up and down like a pan & tilt camera and constantly rotated/swept 360 degrees or could be set to sweep a certain area like forward for picking through reefs. Primarily they are used for wreck hunting at slow speed but if you did bust it off it wouldn't be a disaster as it is fully encased inside the boat in a vertical tunnel. Mine did not have any external appurtenances on the hull as this one does.

Hollywood said it well, "they worked so-so" compared to today's units. I have a newer side scan unit on my present boat which only needs a fixed external transducer and it gives near photograph quality imaging.

The drag and turbulence created must be very high.

Hollywood said it well, "they worked so-so" compared to today's units. I have a newer side scan unit on my present boat which only needs a fixed external transducer and it gives near photograph quality imaging.

It is amazing what the digital age has brought.. now is is done with one slightly over sized transducer that has multiple phased elements in it that the computer in the bridge unit quilts the signals together to give the screen read out.
For the most part I believe it is all military trickle down... the money we have paid to all the defense tech has slowly made it down to us..

HOLLYWOOD

Interesting observation re the military connection and probably holds true for most of the innovations today. It instantly made me think of the great many inventions that came out of WW2, such as radar, loran, synthetic rubber, jet engines, silly putty and the Abomb being the more memorable.

Eric, it did indeed but as you were generally crawling when it was deployed it wasn't an issue.

Interesting observation re the military connection and probably holds true for most of the innovations today. It instantly made me think of the great many inventions that came out of WW2, such as radar, loran, synthetic rubber, jet engines, silly putty and the Abomb being the more memorable.

Eric, it did indeed but as you were generally crawling when it was deployed it wasn't an issue.

Not to forget plastic!

Hollywood

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom