Old 01-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #21

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
If your tank has a seperate vent, fuel will still spill from that vent. Maybe Ive got it wrong but it seems this device keeps your deck clean but does nothing to prevent fuel leakage into the water (potentially).

petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Glad to see the vent line whistles are available again from "mainstream" suppliers. For a long time, nobody seemed to know what they were or where to get them. The last boat I knew of that had one was an old Bertram 28, the owner of which has since passed away. Before that, I hadn't seen (actually, heard) one since the 70's. Very handy!

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Seems to me that with the vent higher than the fuel fill, that makes it more likely for fuel to back up and out the fill fitting.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Seems to me that with the vent higher than the fuel fill, that makes it more likely for fuel to back up and out the fill fitting.
That maybe true but you can hear it getting full, then just slowly top it off. No fuel out the vent.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Thanks FF. Not rocket science or is it?
You might be thinking of your own boat and thinking that's a simple solution. It's not practical on my boat so maybe it is rocket science.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
In my experience...it is where the vent and fill lines are in the tank and whether there is a slight extension into the tank on either. The right combo of either makes for splashing, venting, etc or not.

If the vent is at the lower end of a tank and the fill at the upper end....it's gonna spurt no matter what unless you have a whistle or catchment....even if the overboard end of the vent is mounted higher than the fill...it may still spurt.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
In my experience...it is where the vent and fill lines are in the tank and whether there is a slight extension into the tank on either. The right combo of either makes for splashing, venting, etc or not....................
The vent has to be at the top of the tank or it won't vent at all. The fill will work lower but it will work best at the top where there is no resistance to the flow. Like pouring water into a bucket.

I had a chance to examine my vent outlets the other day. There is a metal cover with the opening pointed down and aft as one might expect but there is also a restriction on the boat hull itself, presumably to further prevent water from entering. This effectively reduces the cross section of the vent and may be part of my fueling problem. I don't see an easy solution though.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I have no overflow issues.
The vent line hose is connected to the highest point on the tanks and then goes up another foot to the thruhull. The fill line comes off the side off the tank at the top, but about an inch or two below the vent connection.

The 2" fill line begins backing up (and gurgling) before the vent sees any diesel. There is a noticeable change of sound as the tanks near the full level.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The vent has to be at the top of the tank or it won't vent at all. The fill will work lower but it will work best at the top where there is no resistance to the flow. Like pouring water into a bucket.

I had a chance to examine my vent outlets the other day. There is a metal cover with the opening pointed down and aft as one might expect but there is also a restriction on the boat hull itself, presumably to further prevent water from entering. This effectively reduces the cross section of the vent and may be part of my fueling problem. I don't see an easy solution though.
I know that...but that doesn't stop some tank manufactures from sticking a pipe into a hole and welding it up without due regard. It will vent till almost full , then it won't, and splash may result from the fill hole....happened to the assistance towboat I used to drive all the time.

If the vent is that way and on the lower end of the tank, and the fill is done right...well....physics.

I work for a company that does salvages and winds up with dozens of all different kinds of boat fuel tanks every year. Most are cut up for scrap so its easy to see manufacturing defects.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #30

City: Karachi
my friend's fill cap is located on the side of the boat, this would work on the side rather than horizontal to the deck?
bashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #31
FF
Guru

WE lowered our fill cap to just below the side deck ,it is covered by a 8 inch bronze deck plate.

A 1/8 hole in the fill cap provides all the venting required .

A plastic deck plate would lower the cost a great deal.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote