Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Installing a washer/dryer combo unit on a trawler.

What brand of washer/dryer is best?
What installation issues were a surprise?
In hind sight what advice can you offer?
Are you glad you bought one?
We are considering a unit for our boat as my wife is tired of the boaters lounge laundry rooms.

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican has had two Splendide units over 16 years. Love them. Caution, many people have complained about the ventless units. If you get a Splendide make sure you have a true sine wave inverter of at least 2,500 watts. A number of the 2,000 watt inverters will not run the wash cycle. At anchor we almost always run the wash cycle off the inverter.

220 volt units are great for 220 volt boats, but few North American boats have 220v inverters so it would involve running the genset for an hour just to do the wash cycle.

We do not use the dry cycle here in the Caribbean, as drying by hanging is fast. When we were far north we used the dry cycle occasionally and followed the instructions to not load the machine more than half way for drying. Still took a while with a 110v unit.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
Our last boat had a stacked unit. Worked great but it used a lot of water and I always ran it dockside or using the genny. A huge convenience. Outside venting is a must IMO.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BP. I've also heard the 110v units were a bit weak on the dry cycle. The 220v units are rumored to be much better.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have a Splendide vented unit and love it.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have a Spendide vented and have been very happy with it so far.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #7

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
My boat did not have a washer/dryer. I cleared out a cabinet in the forward cabin and had to take a doorway apart to get a new Haier HWD1600 installed. The Hair has a problem that the condenser dryer gets clogged with lint and I have to take it apart and clean it about twice a year. Other than that it has been a good unit.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
I had a stacked apartment unit in my boat originally. The dryer , 110v, worked great and I had no complaints about its drying abilities. The washer was nice but NOISY and used way too much water. I now have a Splendide. I dry with it more than wash and appreciate the new storage area with the smaller footprint. I think it will serve my needs better with the space advantage too. I just wash and dry smaller loads with it than the former.

Glen
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
Guru

Sounds like Slendide is the current favorite. When I did a search that was the unit that came up with the best reviews for both Marine and RV applications. I did also see, as you all have pointed out, that it is better to make sure and get the model that vents. I was not thinking about being able to run the unit off of a 2500 watt inverter. So I figure that you can run that while traveling and not have to run the gen set. Nice. Mama is going to be happy!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We also have the washer du jour: a vented Splendide. We are happy with it. We did have an experience that is a lesson to all. After starting a wash and walking away for a bit we returned to find a small flood in front of the machine which was churning happily along. We stopped the cycle, shut the water valves and the water kept leaking out. We discovered that a piece of clothing got trapped in the door when the machine was loaded. This caused a gap in the door seal allowing the water to leak out. Once the cycle begins the door locks and even stopping the washer won't unlock the door.

Fortunately it was a weekday and Splendide support was available by phone. They said to pry off the panel at the bottom of the washer and inside the panel on the far right side is a clip holding a string. Grab the string and pull. The door popped right open. A good thing to make note of should you ever need to get that door open when it is locked.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We also have the washer du jour: a vented Splendide. We are happy with it. We did have an experience that is a lesson to all. After starting a wash and walking away for a bit we returned to find a small flood in front of the machine which was churning happily along. We stopped the cycle, shut the water valves and the water kept leaking out. We discovered that a piece of clothing got trapped in the door when the machine was loaded. This caused a gap in the door seal allowing the water to leak out. Once the cycle begins the door locks and even stopping the washer won't unlock the door.

Fortunately it was a weekday and Splendide support was available by phone. They said to pry off the panel at the bottom of the washer and inside the panel on the far right side is a clip holding a string. Grab the string and pull. The door popped right open. A good thing to make note of should you ever need to get that door open when it is locked.

Howard

Thanks for the insight. It's great knowing in advance of problems. And you know that sooner or later it's going to happen..
Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #12
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
My boat came with an apartment style stacked washer and dryer (vented) - GE I think. It's a 240V setup - which isn't a problem for me - I have 240V at the dock and just run one of the generators when underway or at anchor. Works like a champ.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I have a 120 to 240 transformer for sale. We just removed a stacker set from a friend's boat and the transformer is now surplus. I don't know what it is worth, it's heavy so shipping might be an issue. Bus?

Make me an offer?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:10 AM   #14
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNL View Post
I had a stacked apartment unit in my boat originally. The dryer , 110v, worked great and I had no complaints about its drying abilities. The washer was nice but NOISY and used way too much water. I now have a Splendide. I dry with it more than wash and appreciate the new storage area with the smaller footprint. I think it will serve my needs better with the space advantage too. I just wash and dry smaller loads with it than the former.

Glen
Ditto to all
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
What brand of washer/dryer is best?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
What installation issues were a surprise?
In hind sight what advice can you offer?
Are you glad you bought one?
We are considering a unit for our boat as my wife is tired of the boaters lounge laundry rooms.

I just finished installing a Splendid 2100XC (Vented). I ran both cold and hot water to the unit. I used Ĺ inch Pex tubing with sharkbite fittings and shutoff valves mounted inside the cabinet. You can get these at Home Depot.
Drain, I plumbed in the boats current drain system using 1 Ĺ in PVC. I connected the unit drain to a barbed fitting (on a tee), but ran the drain pipe higher than the unit to prevent syphoning. I also installed a one way vent for the drain so I didnít have smells making their way into the cabinet.
I installed a water proof electrical box, and pigtailed the 120Vac electrical off the box for my aft heater/A/C.
I didnít want to drill any additional holes in the boat so I ran the vent to a vent box that was already part of the boat and fabricated a some clips to hold the vent in place
The Admiral has used it quite a few times and loves it.
http://www.splendide.com/splendide_wd2100xc.htm
http://www.sharkbite.com/
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a GE stack unit, 220v. Its quiet but uses a fair amount of water, but that's no big deal.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #17
Guru

City: kemah
I think for wrinkles older splendide's or even malbar units work better than the new ones. The new ones seem spin the drum just a little to fast while drying and the clothes tend to just stick to the drum instead of tumbling. At least in the 2 2100xc's I put in my rv did that.

Another issue I had with the 2100xc was the rubber bellows that is used to transport the drum's exhaust air to the vent in the back has a tendency to plug up with lint. It is a small to large pain to pull the back off and get the bellows loose so you can fish out the big wad of lint goobers.

The older splindide (ventless) and the malbar never had any of these issues. Both dried the clothes wrinkle free but you cant stuff the machine full regardless.

Even with their faults I cant imagine being without one.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi Howard.

It is my experience with a front loader that if you turn off the power and wait 2 / 3 minutes the door will open without a problem.

Also I am not sure why your machine operated while the door was not completely shut, my machine will not start like this.

Regards,

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The admiral loves our new unit and will make traveling a lot better...
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #20
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Washer and dryer onboard is new to us as of November. It's so convenient. We have 220V setup and vented dryer. They work great and a large load of towels dries completly in 40-60 minutes. We run the Genset for it if not at the dock. We very much enjoy getting to a dock and not have to worry about getting laundry done. Leaves so much more time for exploring (or drinking)

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote