Old 03-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If ever planning on living aboard, a 50 amp service might be a good idea instead of another 30.

I did an am glad even if the setup is a bit pricey. No more worrying what is on and what isnt.

When at marinas where it's just a quick overnight stay and no heat/ac required...I use a 30 Amp adapter to save some coin.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Harbor Fright has as 3/4 hp clean water pump for less than $70, IIRC the last one I bought was $59. I know,,, cheap chinese junk, lots of folks would rather pay $590 for a Teal or an Oberdorfer , and I like those pumps to, I have a few. But for the money you just cant beat the HB pump. I've got 4 years on one in my sporty, running 30,000 BTUs of aircon, still going strong. I bought a spare just because they are cheap, and I'm sure I'll need it someday. Or, I'll use it for something else and buy another spare. On the subject of inverters with load assist, I was not aware that Magnum inverters had that. I am familiar with there ability to down rate the charger to help with load starting. As far as I knew Victron was the only one with actuall "load assist". I been wrong twice now in this lifetime

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatlaker221 View Post
One more question. Do you all use seacocks for the Ac discharge? What is the aybc rule here? Will I get nicked by a surveyor if I just use a thru hull with hose barb. I plan to put 12" above waterline.
I can see no logical reason for insisting on seacocks 12" above the water line. They would be open all the time anyway, and this is not a sail boat. More experienced hands I may disagree.

I used three existing thru-hulls for the outlets when I did my a/c install. Two of them were 3/4" which proved to be larger than necessary. The result was two flows of warm sea water that did not clear the hull properly and, over time, left nasty stains below the outlets. The solution was either change to smaller thru-hulls, or put a PVC sleeve inside the big ones to achieve the same result. I chose the second option and raw water now flows in steady streams from all three.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Having the seacocks at the discharge is cheap insurance, i would add then into your design. BTW, we also run two units from one pump. You've been getting good advice.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Sometimes language gets in the way.

A thru hull is simply a hole in the boat that will allow water to come in or go out.

A seacock is a method of closing a thru hull.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #26
Guru

FF: I know that, and I think the other contributors to this thread do too. What makes you think otherwise?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #27
Guru

I could be wrong but for the A/C system I don't think anti siphon loops are required as the bottom of the siphon isn't into the boat....it is back into the water via the intake thru hull (thus a closed system).

Now one can argue that a hose break could be bad...but a hose break in a system with a siphon could be bad too. Anyone know for sure if there is a requirement?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #28
Guru

Good point.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 AM   #29
Guru

not onboard, but I don't believe our AC discharge lines have antiphon loops; nor did our previous boats if I remember right.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Wow you guys are good and fast! I was planning on two separate pumps mostly due to my lack knowledge of how to wire one pump to serve two units both may be needed simultaneously. The pumps Im considering are $200 ea the Pan World 100 PX at www.Marine Depot.com

So, If I run one larger pump, if wired correctly, it will supply water to both units but one or both my be on at the same time. The unneeded water just flushing thru the unit that is off. Correct?

You could just wire the pump old school to a breaker and use the breaker like a switch. Turn the pump on when you are using both or either unit. And turn the breaker off when your not running the units.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
The units are above the water line under the salon satee. The strainer and pumps will be below the water line near the 2" seacock The pumps and ac units are all 3/4" so I need a manifold going from 2" to 2/4.

I found a Vetus manifold that is one inch supply to three 3/4 outlets, I wonder how 1" can supply 3 3/4 outlets if all are needed at same time?

Attachment 50026

No, the manifold is after the pump. So you either mount it directly on the outlet of the pump or down stream of the pump. So it does not need to be 2" inlet to two 3/4" outlets.

To feed two 24,000 btu units I think you'll find you need a pump this size: March Magnetic Drive Pump
Old 03-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You could just wire the pump old school to a breaker and use the breaker like a switch. Turn the pump on when you are using both or either unit. And turn the breaker off when your not running the units.
I remember hearing that ABYC standards specifically state a breaker should not be used as an on/off switch.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #33
Guru

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...akers/C-Series

Circuit Breakers - C-Series

Magnetic hydraulic circuit breakers that combine switching and circuit protection into a single device.

Funny they would advertise the switching ability....
Old 03-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
I remember hearing that ABYC standards specifically state a breaker should not be used as an on/off switch.
Apparently a lot of boat manufacturers are unaware of that fact. Or perhaps like me they don't care.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #35

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Most of this has been covered by others, but here's what's on our boat. One pump with it's own breaker that supplies water to three AC units. When the pump is on there is water flowing through all three units. Each AC unit has it's own breaker and wall switch with thermostat. Each unit has it's own above waterline thru hull without a seacock. I don't know if there are anti-siphon loops installed. There are also condensation drains that go to my two shower sumps. We have a 50 amp shore power inlet, so the AC will not run when we are hooked up to 30 amp. In that case we have to run the generator. Luckily, we live in the Pacific Northwest and don't need AC that often.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #36
Guru

porman....I have a 50 amp service with a 30 amp adapter that feeds both main AC busses so I can run all 3 of my ACs if I chose.

Wonder why your setup is different? Unless your AC is 220V.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #37

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
porman....I have a 50 amp service with a 30 amp adapter that feeds both main AC busses so I can run all 3 of my ACs if I chose.

Wonder why your setup is different? Unless your AC is 220V.
Yes, it is. I forgot to mention that.

porman is offline   Reply With Quote