Old 03-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We have Option B and it works great for us. High pressure saltwater to clean the mud off (we have serious mud down here) then freshwater to rinse everything before it goes into the chain locker.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #22
FF
Guru

Since the main engine will be operating it makes the best source of power for a pump.

By upgrading the system , say a clutched 2 inch Jabsco , you get a deck wash , a fire pump, and a bilge pump of over 100GPM.

100GPM makes short work of mud and stinky critters , with a good nozzle it could make short work of jet skiers too!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #23

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
since the main engine will be operating it makes the best source of power for a pump.

By upgrading the system , say a clutched 2 inch jabsco , you get a deck wash , a fire pump, and a bilge pump of over 100gpm.

100gpm makes short work of mud and stinky critters , with a good nozzle it could make short work of jet skiers too!
would that work on drones as well?
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: West Coast
Our freshwater system has two pumps, plumbed in parallel (with appropriate check valves) -- a 12v and a 110v, each with its own pressure switch. The 12v switch has a higher threshhold so it is the first on and the last off, but it can't deliver the volume (and therefore cannot keep the pressure up) when there is simultaneous demand from multiple taps -- in that event, the 110v kicks in and supplies hose pressure equivalent pressure and volume.

There is also a saltwater wash down system with multiple spigots, including one by the bow windlass. The saltwater system is currently set up with a 12v pump and its output is anemic in comparison to the freshwater system. Even though we have two 800 gallon per day water makers, I typically washdown with saltwater, and have never had any kind of odor problem (the anchor locker drains overboard, not into the bilge, and is also sealed (not water tight, but good enough to keep odors at bay) from the boat's interior.

That said, there is also a 120v jacuzzi type saltwater pump that supplies the bait tanks (with extra capacity for the eventual installation of tuna tubes). I would be a relatively simple matter to put a pressure switch on that and parallel it into the salt washdown system for really great pressure and flow. This thread inspires me to put that idea on my project list.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #25

City: Miami
The hydraulic pump alone uses 9 gpm to pump over 200gpm against a 12' head. Yep good jet ski deterrent.

Via iPhone.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #26
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Angus, we have a raw water outlet at our rope locker. Started life as the salt water washdown for the cockpit, with it's own spigot... and we just T'd another line onto that and ran it to the bow, installed a faucet there, coil-y hose, Voila!

Not the strongest pump in the world, so maybe if it craps out I'll upgrade to a higher flow rate...

No fresh water there, so no fresh water rode rinsing... but no problems with odors.

Fresh water at the bow would be handy, though, in some cases to wash stray salt water spray off the deck after bringing the anchor back aboard. Not a high priority for me so I won't get around to that very quickly, but nice for you that you already have that.

-Chris
Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Probably the best might be totally automatic but like many auto systems...you can't trust completeness.

The next best might be a cheapo pressure washer connected to your fresh water system. low volume, high pressure and the fresh water rinse is complete.

If anchoring a lot...I just pull it on deck, wash, dry, inspect,fix markers and put it away. I do this whenever I get a break in anchoring for more than a couple days. That way in an emergency I know it's all 100 percent. Plus I leave the anchor locker door open with a fan blowing in it for a couple days. The chain is relatively free of rust and no smell.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I would go for option "B" to safe guard your fresh water. I saw a Nordhavn that had a hard drawn copper or bronze pipe sticking out just under the bow roller with the end flattened for a wider spray. Looked like a good primary chain cleaner, using the bow hose as a second effort.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #29

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I installed a 7gpm Jabsco pump in the engine room and tee'd it off the watermaker thru-hull. I ran a line to the bow. We use it with a hose unless we are in very muddy areas. In those situations, we have a $100 pressure washer (Walmart) that we have used for 6 years in the Chesapeake. It takes a few minutes to setup but does the trick.

HenryD is online now   Reply With Quote