Old 05-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Icemakers

I have a 45' Northwest Trawler with 12 & 24volt systems and I'm looking for a good ice maker. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
drmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I am not familliar with 12 or 24 volt icemakers, but if you will consider one powered by 110v a/c, I recommend Raritan's Icerette which is compact, simple and efficient. I guess you could run one using a suitable inverter.

FWIW: I ran one boat fitted with a Scotsman ice machine, it was a real PITA.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I have this for when I need a bunch of ice...

AI-210SS NewAir Portable Ice Maker Stainless Steel Finish

I run it off a 500 watt inverter.

Makes a batch of ice every 4-6 min when the water gets cold, start with cold water and look out.

S
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
I'm happy with my u line.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
I am not familliar with 12 or 24 volt icemakers, but if you will consider one powered by 110v a/c, I recommend Raritan's Icerette which is compact, simple and efficient. I guess you could run one using a suitable inverter.

FWIW: I ran one boat fitted with a Scotsman ice machine, it was a real PITA.
+1 for the Raritan icer-ette, the only thing I'ld change would be to move it out of the solon, it generates a fair amount of heat that would be better outside in the summer.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Panama
Vessel Name: Mar Azul
Vessel Model: DeFever 44
Don't know of a 12/24 Volt model. In the US, the predominant models are the Raritan and Uline. I have a Uline and no complaints. Had to replace the ice maker unit on mine, at least 10 years old, perhaps more, but I think it may be the same component installed on the Raritan. If I were to replace the whole unit, I'd probably pick the lowest cost of the two.

The counter top ice makers are much less expensive, and if they meet your needs will get the job done. Heard good things from cruisers who have them in the Caribbean. But, I like the ease of just reaching in and grabbing the cubes. We have found when energy challenged we can make a weeks worth in a day and store in the freezer.

I will second the suggestion for outside, versus inside due to heat. Especially if it's easy and protected from the rain. I'm not sure it pays to build a new outside wet bar for one though,

Good luck! Bob
Ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I have this for when I need a bunch of ice...

AI-210SS NewAir Portable Ice Maker Stainless Steel Finish

I run it off a 500 watt inverter.

Makes a batch of ice every 4-6 min when the water gets cold, start with cold water and look out.

S
How long have you used your unit?

I had a similar but lower priced unit we tried 2 years ago and had to return to the store as it made a puddling mess on our counter top. If this one leaves no mess I'll order one as I loved the concept and portability.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
How long have you used your unit?

I had a similar but lower priced unit we tried 2 years ago and had to return to the store as it made a puddling mess on our counter top. If this one leaves no mess I'll order one as I loved the concept and portability.
I have had it for 9 months and have used it over the course of several trips for a run time of perhaps 2-3 weeks. No problems, no leaks so far. when It dumps ice it makes noise (falling ice) but I guess they all do.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
That portable one looks cool! Set it on the back deck counter and plug it in. We have a refrigerator and freezer already on the back deck which we use all year round. The stern refrigerator is mainly for beverages/liquids and the freezer for ice cream, pop cycles, ice cream, fudge cycles and did I mention ice cream.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
In case you were wondering....ice makers use heating elements to cut the ice cubes. Those elements require energy that is not possible from low voltage DC systems. This is why there are no DC ice makers.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Guru

Not all use a heater. ^^^

The ice-maker I referenced above uses a short reverse cycle to dislodge the ice from the freezing posts, it does not use molds but has running water past super-cold posts. When the size cube is created (by use of time) the water tray gets out of the way and the system reverses the cooling to quickly heat up the posts thus melting a few molecules of ice allowing the cube to fall into the bin.

No heater element, and no air in the cube, I use distilled water to make perfectly clear ice.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Is it DC powered? That was mostly my point. It requires a significant amount of power to "quickly heat" to melt the things off and into the tray. No free lunch!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Is it DC powered? That was mostly my point. It requires a significant amount of power to "quickly heat" to melt the things off and into the tray. No free lunch!...
No it is 120v AC and it does not have a heating element, it simply reverses the freon (like a reverse cycle heat pump. My point is it could be 12volt if there was a market for it, I run it on a 500 watt inverter if it was 12 volt it would use right around 2 amps.

It uses no more power to melt the ice off then to freeze it in the first place=free lunch!