I hate my Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure that's true, MP:

from Business Insider:

As a politician, Guillotin focused mostly on medical reform. He was also an opponent of the death penalty, and, perhaps recognizing that outright abolition was unlikely, focused his energy on making capital punishment more humane—and more egalitarian. At the time, only the nobility in France had the dubious privilege of beheading by sword; most criminals sentenced to death were hung on the gallows (or, in some gruesome cases, sent to the breaking wheel).

On October 10, 1789, Guillotin submitted a proposal to the French government arguing for a decapitating machine to become the standard manner of carrying out the death penalty. Initially, the proposal gained little traction—but that December, Guillotin delivered a speech to the National Assembly that would ultimately elevate both the man and the idea to international fame.
(source: The ironic story behind the guillotine - Business Insider)

From The History Channel:
It was originally developed as a more humane method of execution.

The origins of the French guillotine date back to late-1789, when Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin proposed that the French government adopt a gentler method of execution. Although he was personally opposed to capital punishment, Guillotin argued that decapitation by a lightning-quick machine would be more humane and egalitarian than sword and axe beheadings, which were often botched.
(source: 8 Things You May Not Know About the Guillotine - History Lists)

Just our two cents.
When we upgraded our toilets we replaced 2 Blake's manual toilets with 2 Elegance and find them to be a quantum improvement. We have holding tanks but don't use them as there are no pump out facilities here.
We find sea water keeps the toilets clean (there's a very high salinity in the Mediterranean).
We have no odour problems and to keep the internal pipework clean we put 2 pints of 12 % white vinegar into the toilet and pump briefly to get the vinegar into the pipework, this turns any calcium into water and it just flushes away.
We treat the toilets once a month.

Peggie:

The manual looks pretty clear to me, but you have to read it carefully. It says 18 amps for the fresh water flush model and 18 amps plus 10 amps (for the remote pump) for the sea water model. The fresh water model requires a 25A breaker and the sea water model requires a 30A breaker. So obviously (to me) you add the two values for the total draw for the sea water model.

I agree it is a bit confusing as I just looked at the Elegance toilet amperage at first, but you have to add the remote pump amperage to get the total.

See the attached.

David

Attachments

• Raritan Elegance Owners Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Raritan. 18 amps is the TOTAL amperage draw INCLUDING the remote intake pump.

I choose to plumb 1/2" water hose to supply our Raritan Elegance, teeing off the discharge of our fresh water pump and installing a shut off valve. I think you will have a better flow of flushing water, this was noted by a friend who teed off one of the head cold water supplies on his boat.

A shutoff valve in the intake for a pressurized flush water toilet is always a good idea because it allows you to turn off the water to that toilet only instead of having to turn off the water to the whole boat if you have work on that toilet.

However, the instructions for the toilet include both the minimum water pressure needed and maximum water pressure the toilet can accept without risk of damage. So unless the water pump can't supply enough pressure to the whole fresh water system, there should be adequate pressure to meet the minimum needed for the toilet in the cold water line in the head.

Peggy,
Some thing does not make sense then with the Raritan literature then when it comes to wire sizing. If the total amp draw on the sea water flush model is 18 amp then for a 15 foot run should only require 12 gauge wire and that is basing it on a 3% voltage drop. I calculated this using a formula for determining wire size. CM=10.75 x amps x circuit length x allowable voltage drop. However if you use the 28 amp value then it moves the wire gauge to 10 which is what is shown on the chart in the Raritan booklet. Add that to the fact that the booklet also calls for a 30 amp breaker for the sea water flush. If it only pulled 18 amps total then why not just go with the 25 amp breaker like the fresh water flush?
Kevin

Peggy, I just got off the phone with Matt at Raritan. He stated that the amps are in 18. However he said that the booklet itself is confusing. When I asked him why the 30 amp breaker he said that the start up draw necessitates the need for the larger breaker. So running amps maybe 18 but start up would be more.
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom