Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Hydraulic oil weeping from steering wheel on lower helm station

I have a situation where there is a small amount of hydraulic oil weeping from steering wheel on the lower helm station. It's only a very small amount and is most noticeable when "George" is engaged. Screws or thread to be tightened or gasket to be replaced? I'd be interested in learning if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this issue before I get into trouble by opening everything up.

Jim

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Guru

....oops! I will read the thread below on the "Hydraulic Steering Pump".

Jim

Old 05-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Vila
Where is the oil coming from? I have had many instances in up/down helm situations where the upper helm was not fitted with a breather plug which meant any expansion in the steering oil due to heating (ie through a/p pump or sunlight) forced oil out the helm shaft seal. Check your upper helm fill plug has a breather hole. The next most likely cause in my experience is any helm station that people can rest arms/butts/feet on the wheel which causes loading on the steering shaft bush which the seal cannot compensate for. If this is not a new vessel to you, no changes have been made and the problem is gradual I would suspect a simple seal replacement is the solution
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Jim: Any pictures?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Guru

I'm not on the boat right now. Will be tomorrow. It's a very slight weeping where the steering wheel shaft comes out of the bulkhead. The oil travels down the wall and is visible from the watch berth. I have cropped and enlarged the attached photo that was part of a collection when we purchased the vessel. There is evidence that the weeping occurred at that time. I will check on the manufacturer of the pump on Monday.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399215653.559467.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  66.7 KB

Jim
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Jim: I believe we have the same set up which would be the Teleflex Hynautic model H-21. You can buy a seal kit for less than $30. I have no idea what is involved in changing the seals. Maybe someone else has. Here are a couple of pictures of the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	29605   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	29606  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Guru

Yes. We have the same vintage 42: 1985, I believe. I will check tomorrow.

http://www.downwindmarine.com/Telefl...-91002334.html

Thanks!

Jim
Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
The OPs unit is a Teleflex Capilano helm pump recognizable from the knob beneath the shaft that adusts the pump displacement chaning the turns from lock to lock. It is a vented system not pressurized as Hynautic is. May be a little confusing these days since Hynautic is also Teleflex. I have not rebuilt one in many years so don't know whether you can reseal it in place or have to remove it to perfrom that service.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
My upper helm has had a slight leak, same system, for about 6 years now.... I really need to get to that repair. I remember past posts from Keith and others on the forum who pull the steering wheel and replaced the leaking seal and it was not a big job.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 05-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Guru

We recently took Phoenix Hunter out for a short sea trial and the weeping from the wheel shaft seal on the lower helm station is a bit more noticeable than last year. Also, the seal on the upper helm station is likewise compromised. I'm going to have to go through this process to fix these. The pumps themselves are not leaking anywhere. The gasket kits are $31.98 Cdn, available at Western Marine. However, if I only need the O-ring for the wheel shafts, I would rather go that route. The units are the Capilano Teleflex model 275V. The shaft is 19 mm or 3/4", measured by calliper. What will be revealed when I take off that knurled knob in the center of the steering wheel? If anyone can provide me instructions on how I can go about this, it would be most helpful.

Nightcap raises a couple of questions. I cannot comment on how the PO's handled the wheel, but I don't use the wheel as a foot rest, although, I do "hold on" in heavier seals. The upper helm has a cover over the fly bridge, which probably should have an insert to take some of the strain of the cover on the wheel.

Nightcap: The upper helm pump has two plugs. I topped up the tank (about 1/2 pint) through one of the plugs and it did not have a vent. I cannot see if the other plug has a vent, but according to the PDF manual of the Capilano system, the upper helm should have one.

Name:	Upper Helm Steering pump plugs.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	30246

C-Lectric mentioned Wriason Seals, which is conveniently located for me. I will see what they can provide. I would appreciate any additional advice on how I can go about this fix.

Jim
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Guru

You need to get in there with a dentist mirror and see if that top plug is vented or there is a vent somewhere else.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Guru

Nightcap. I'm back at the boat. That other plug just isn't visible at all. In order to remove it I would have to remove the cover/cowling from the flybridge, disconnecting a whole,load of other things. What about drilling a small hole in the other plug using a drill press?

Having removed the lock nut from the steering wheel shaft, it seems the shaft is also threaded to a bronze cylinder inside the wheel. What technique should be used for removing it? I assume a pipe wrench is not a good idea.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
Guru

Okay, is there some sort of threaded ring in there? With some sort of "key" to use to remove it? My son thinks I should be using a puller.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401732671.958917.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	30298

Jim

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 06-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #14
Guru

Not totally sure what I'm looking at there. Is the larger thread what holds the brass wheel hub cover on? If so, you need a three leg gear puller to remove the wheel. Assuming it is a tapered fit, leave the shaft nut on a few threads, crank on the puller and hit the puller end a sharp whack with a hammer.
If you can't access the top plug then drilling the lower one should do. Try to orientate the hole so it faces down and can't collect dirt etc. To do this you may need to drill one hole almost through from the threaded end of the plug (can use a large bit) and then drill a finer (1/16") hole from the square end to meet it.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Once the nut is off it may take a wheel or gear puller. I used a two legged gear puller the first time and since then the wheel comes off just by pulling on it. (I have to remove the lower wheel on occasion to access the electrical terminal behind it.) There is a key.

Our unit has the two plugs and neither one is vented. When filling the unit, if you leave a little air space that should be sufficient for any thermal expansion of the fluid. Other than that there should be no change in the system volume.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I cannot see if the other plug has a vent, but according to the PDF manual of the Capilano system, the upper helm should have one.
Apparently it does need a vent. An air space will still enable pressure to build up as the fluid expands and put more pressure on the shaft seals than they are designed for. This is a very common fault on hydraulic steering systems and particularly bad where the helm units are exposed to sun.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
Guru

The shaft is 3/4" and the housing is 1", so a 1/8" O-ring. At least that worked on ours.

Bob
Old 06-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #18
Guru

You will need an o-ring that is for use with oil.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Guru

Page 15 of the manual: "This procedure will provide for sufficient air space to accommodate fluid expansion."

Bob
Old 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
Guru

Buna-N, the most common type or Viton.

Bob