Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Why would anybody regret over-built doors and windows?

Sea rated exterior doors and windows would be purchased from a source , not shop created by most boat assemblers.

As bigger costs way more, the chances are the doors will be small and a PIA for an inshore cruiser.

Stooping ,ducking and turning sideways is not an adventure when dragging groceries aboard.

Many Nordys suffer from this hassle.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Sea rated exterior doors and windows would be purchased from a source , not shop created by most boat assemblers.
You have a good point. Seahorse just says the doors and windows are "commercial grade" they don't say they are sourced from a supplier of approved doors and windows that meet any recognized standard. They may be nothing more than cheaply built Chinese knock-offs that project the image their customers place above function.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Please tell us more about your SF Bay experience and safe boat-building theories.
OH!~ They're theories?
OK!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
What brand of doors and windows are on your personal boat, RickB? Where was it built?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Stong enough for a Dock Queen!

Since Ed Munk desinged originally as built they were fine. However after 32 years the structure might no be, but the glass certainly is for what it was desinged for. I think sturcture would be more of a concern than the window/glass?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
What brand of doors and windows are on your personal boat, RickB? Where was it built?
The doors are really cheap, lightweight, mahogany and teak things probably made in a sidewalk shop in Kaoshiung not far from where the boat was made.

The windows are tempered safety glass probably equivalent to the side windows on a car. The front windows are thicker tempered safety glass that is probably stronger than the wood frames that hold them.

They survived a few years of running from NYC out to the "canyons" and back from fishing excursions with the previous owner. They are certainly adequate for the ICW and mucking about near coastal on nice days.

Why do you ask?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Ply 1 inch.

Had water on deck plenty of times , and the door would not be my issue. The water load , on deck , headed into the next amount of water could be. In heavy weather.

Just gotta keep it closed. Glass is not as tough as ply. Glass ( windows )when twisted break real easy. Like what happens on the older FRP boats that have the Fly bridge supported by the glass glued to the light frames. As an example.

Fix the window leaks on such to protect the structure from failure.

From my experience limited as they are its the flex or the twisting of the boat / cabin, that takes out windows and door locks more so than the actual hit from water. While pleasure cruising the coast.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #28

City: Hong Kong
Mark - some questions and request for you on Ducktalk.
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Mark Ė I give applause to your strongly constructed Coot! Now, go enjoy the mellow bay and delta cruising... thatís what itís all about in this fantastic geographic area of America!

Heck Ė how many times do you hear of any pleasure boat going down cause the windows and doors were too simply flimsy to handle the seas??? Anyone who in these days of superb weather forecasting gets trapped in a sea that bad-ass should have better learned how to plan trips per the now instantly available weather predictions.

Before todayís plethora of weather prediction availabilities; 1950ís, 60í Iíve been in some nasty seas on New England coast, in a few different makes of boats. Once at about age 12, as unexpected storm arose and we were off shore, my dad spent well over an hour getting quick as possible into Boston Harbor with breaker-white caps sometimes pounding the flying bridge. Damn good thing she was hell-a stout boat with sturdy superstructure and thick-stiff salon widows.

But Ė that ainít how it is in SF Bay/Delta... specially in these days of very accurate weather forecasts!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Taken from ducktalk.net:

Seahorse Marine,
Zhuhai, China

posted 05 June 2013 19:0205 June 2013 19:02In early April David King and Jef Appel brought David's Diesel Duck 462 up from La Paz to the SF Bay area for a boat show. It was a rough trip according to Jef's note below (Jef's new 462 is the next Duck to be launched).

Off Point Reys there was only one other boat out there, an 80' tug. It sunk.

The 1300 mile trip was terrible! 17-20 foot breaking very steep short interval head seas with 30-40 knots of wind, down to 3 SOG knots at times. We were two days late to the boat show. We used bouyweather.com for our forecasts. Never again, they were completely wrong. The weather deteriorated very quickly. We could not head to a safe harbor (east) to wait the weather out because it would have meant exposing the boat broadside to these breaking swell for a long period of time. It was either head into them (north) or run with them (south). That is the bad news.

The good news is that the boat handled it with no problems. Imagine waves constantly breaking against the bow and on the salon roof and slamming against the pilothouse windows. The boat would go up the steep swells after shrugging off the last breaking swell and drop off of the back side with the bow down and then have another wave immediately break over the bow again. I am completely satisfied the boat can handle most anything. I am glad the flushdeck Duck design does not have the deep sidedecks and deep cockpit of my last yacht. That could have been a major problem with the breaking swells.

Bill Kimley