Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Household liquid bleach usually contains 6-8.5% sodium hypochlorite. A flushing and disinfection of a tank should establish 50 parts chlorine to 1,000,000 parts of water. Let sit in the tanks and lines (turn of faucets, etc.. until you smell the chlorine) to establish a contact time of no less than 2 hours then flush out the tank. This disinfects the lines and tank. - No, one cap is not enough more like 4 oz. at every fill up you may wish to add a cap full to maintain a 2 parts per million chlorine free residual. A swimming pool test strip will register the 50ppm level but will not register the 2ppm.
dan

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #22

The State of Washington publishes a guide on how many ounces of bleach per X gallons of water should be used to treat water. It's on their website.

Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #23
Guru

No "guide" or rule can tell you how much chlorine to use to disinfect YOUR water system. What the "safe drinking water act" and ALL STATE Drinking water agencies that comply with that act will do is require a 2 parts per million free chlorine residual. Chlorine will change chemical properties as it works on pathogens, bacteria, etc..The more bacteria in the water the more chlorine or other product you need to kill that bacteria. One of the reasons chlorine is used is that it is easily measured in water. If after the chlorine has a "contact time" in the water (2 hr. minimum) and you can measure a "residual" (Free chlorine) of 2mg/L or 2 ppm then the disinfection process is complete and there remains a small amount of chlorine available to treat any additional bacteria that may enter the system. In other words, if the water entering the system has a great deal of bacteria then it will take more chlorine to counter it.
What you are looking for is the residual chlorine after a contact time. "Hach" makes a test kit that will measure those very low concentrations of chlorine, about $20.00 I think.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi Boaties

I have read all the posts about disenfecting your water tanks on your boats with bleach [ chlorine ] and other products. Where I live in Laidley Queensland there is no council supplied water service to any of the houses.

The water I use, drink, bath in and flush comes off the tin roof when it rains. If it dosn`t rain then I buy a truck load of it to fill the house tank. Now there is No fil;ter between the roof and my taps so whatever comes off the roof end up drinking, that includes bird dropping et al.

I have never thought of putting bleach into the tank, when I first moved into here the tank was full of frogs and the water tasted very froggy, I fixed the inlet to stop them getting in and after a big storm fixed the outlet to keep them out, no harm done and an interesting flavour.

Now to using bleach,there is a product called Milton solution which is used to soak babies bottles and teats in between use wouldn`t this be a safer product to use then bleach. I will admit that I am not sure what it contains but it does no harm to babies.

Also there is a purifying tablet which the army uses to purify water while they are on manouvers. Just a thought.

Regards.

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manly Q. View Post
Hi Boaties

I have read all the posts about disenfecting your water tanks on your boats with bleach [ chlorine ] and other products. Where I live in Laidley Queensland there is no council supplied water service to any of the houses.

The water I use, drink, bath in and flush comes off the tin roof when it rains. If it dosn`t rain then I buy a truck load of it to fill the house tank. Now there is No fil;ter between the roof and my taps so whatever comes off the roof end up drinking, that includes bird dropping et al.

I have never thought of putting bleach into the tank, when I first moved into here the tank was full of frogs and the water tasted very froggy, I fixed the inlet to stop them getting in and after a big storm fixed the outlet to keep them out, no harm done and an interesting flavour.

Now to using bleach,there is a product called Milton solution which is used to soak babies bottles and teats in between use wouldn`t this be a safer product to use then bleach. I will admit that I am not sure what it contains but it does no harm to babies.

Also there is a purifying tablet which the army uses to purify water while they are on manouvers. Just a thought.

Regards.

David.
David

Good suggestions. If I had time would research Milton solution as well as army purifying tablet. Looking forward to see others outcome to research efforts.

Regarding teats... I have a whole different consistent process for checking em out to make sure they're always in fine condition. Oh whoops... guess you are referring to them rubber kind o' teats on baby bottles, I'm not! - LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #26
Guru

Milton Solution is a chlorine based solution along with many of the water purification tablets. Other emergency water purification tablets are iodine based. I have used solid, swimming pool type tablets in order to disinfect new wells both here and in Latin America, They are readily available and are fairly inexpensive even in third world countries. Likewise, regular household bleach containing a 6-8% chlorine solution is readily available safe to handle and can be obtained just about anywhere in the world.
Most of the concern over using "bleach" is based upon the smell, or taste. If that is a problem then you used way too much. At a concentration of 2mg/liter or 2 ppm you will not smell or taste the chlorine.
It is difficult to test for coliform bacteria in water a sample must be incubated for 24 hours in a special solution and then viewed under a specific light condition, usually performed in an approved lab setting. On the other hand a test for free chlorine residual is simple and can be done by most anyone (my 4 year old granddaughter does them regularly) at a cost of about $0.03. If there is a free chlorine residual then the water is bacteria free. Simple easy cost effective.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #27
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
6 years and 3 boats- we've always just used the water from the tanks as is. Haven't gotten sick or suffered any ill effects.

The tanks are filled a couple times a week (2 souls onboard living life + a washer/dryer) and the water is fine.
It's people like you who always have to spoil it for the rest of us.

30 years ago, no on bought water and few even filtered it.

Now, we'll all die if we don't filter it five times just to ...

I've done various schemes based on what I've read here in the last two eyars. I'm pretty much back to the beginning, with using jsut the one house filter after the water pump.

I run the dock water for 5 minutes before i start filling the tanks.

Water tastes fine. I did have occasion to clean out one water tank. There was about a cup of gunk on the bottom. But, it's not worth the trouble to clean out the other tank.

While The Clorox Companyhas done very well with this paranoia; if anyone is paying attention, we now have far more problems with superbugs and more kids developing asthma than ever before.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
Guru

If you live, boat, or keep your boat in the U.S. chances are you obtain your water from a "permitted" water system that routinely produces and supplies filtered and disinfected water. There should be greater than 2ppm chlorine in the water you are filling your tanks with. Chances are also if you maintain the vents and fill lines probably your tank is NOT a breeding ground for bacteria. Good water in = good water at the faucet. In other parts of the world this is not the case.
I attended a water conference (continuing education points) about 12 years ago and the keynote speaker addressed the issue of 3 out of every 4 children born in Latin America die their first year from water born diseases. I felt this was BS so I investigated those figures and they were true.
Since that time I have spent about a month or two every year working to reduce that number of infant deaths by drilling wells and treating water in rural areas of Nicaragua. I have held one of those children while she died and thought that $0.20 worth of bleach could have saved her life and many others in her village.
While it may be "paranoia" where you live, it is a very real and present danger in many parts of the world. If you are boating or visiting those places please take all the precautions you can in filling your tanks.
dan