Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
How difficult to winterize a Purasan?

Sometimes I think we'd prefer to have a treatment system, so we don't have to pump out quite so often -- and so we're not incessantly working future pump-out schedule issues -- but I'm not excited about the idea of introducing additional complexity when it comes time to winterize.

I've read the winterization directions in the Purasan manual; looks like a pain in the neck.

Can anyone who's winterized a Purasan several times over the years comment on how hard it is, really?

-Chris
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Following
Old 04-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: AR
I've read the winterization directions in the Purasan manual; looks like a pain in the neck. Can anyone who's winterized a Purasan several times over the years comment on how hard it is, really?

Follow the directions, it's not that hard..and and it's always best to follow 'em BEFORE all else fails.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
[I]
Follow the directions, it's not that hard..and and it's always best to follow 'em BEFORE all else fails.

Without a unit sitting right in front of me, I can't get a feel for what "it's not that hard" means.

In our existing winterizing situation, there are several activities that "aren't that hard" in the "it's not rocket science sense"... but can be a real pain in the patoot when reality sets in.

-Chris
Old 04-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: AR
It's a bit labor intensive for all of half an hour, but actually easy for anyone who can read and FOLLOW the directions:

Treatment Unit
1. Flush toilet and activate PURASAN EX several times to clean out hoses and tank.
2. Turn off water supply to the toilet and flush toilet as dry as possible. Note: Use caution flushing toilet dry review manufacturer’s instructions to ensure no damage is done to any components.
3. Shut off water valve feeding Control Module.
4. Press EMPTY button to drain out all water from Tablet Dispenser and tubing.
5. Turn off power and disconnect wires from Purasan EX Control Module.
6. Remove water connection to Control Module and drain tube.
7. Close seacocks.
8. Slowly open crossover plug (#25 page 12)
Caution: If Treatment Unit is the lowest part of the system, water will spill out. Review plumbing carefully before slowly opening plug.
9. Using a drill pump or equivalent and 3/8” tube, remove water from each side of partition in Treatment Unit through crossover plug.
10. Disconnect and drain waste hoses.

If you break the directions down step by step, you'll see that it's mostly just making sure to get all the water out of it.

First time will prob'ly be a pain in the arse...but easy once you've done it a time or two.

The freedom from tanks and pumpouts make winterizing it a small price to pay.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
It's a bit labor intensive for all of half an hour, but actually easy for anyone who can read and FOLLOW the directions:

Treatment Unit
3. Shut off water valve feeding Control Module.
4. Press EMPTY button to drain out all water from Tablet Dispenser and tubing.
5. Turn off power and disconnect wires from Purasan EX Control Module.
6. Remove water connection to Control Module and drain tube.
7. Close seacocks.
8. Slowly open crossover plug (#25 page 12)
Caution: If Treatment Unit is the lowest part of the system, water will spill out. Review plumbing carefully before slowly opening plug.
9. Using a drill pump or equivalent and 3/8” tube, remove water from each side of partition in Treatment Unit through crossover plug.
10. Disconnect and drain waste hoses.

The freedom from tanks and pumpouts make winterizing it a small price to pay.

Yeah, that freedom is what I'm after... but not by adding grief during winterizing.

I've read the instructions. What I don't have a feel for is how difficult steps 4-10 are. In my experience, removing hoses is a serious pain... and then reattaching hoses in Spring usually goes south, too.

Disconnecting and draining poo hoses (step 10) every year seems especially grim.

Useful to know all that might be a 30-minute job (and I realize that assumes decent access).

-Chris
Old 04-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yeah, that freedom is what I'm after... but not by adding grief during winterizing.

I've read the instructions. What I don't have a feel for is how difficult steps 4-10 are. In my experience, removing hoses is a serious pain... and then reattaching hoses in Spring usually goes south, too.

Disconnecting and draining poo hoses (step 10) every year seems especially grim.

Useful to know all that might be a 30-minute job (and I realize that assumes decent access).

-Chris
Use a heat gun, the hoses will get soft and come off easier, if they are PVC or vinyl.

For rubber hoses I have been using T Plus 2 teflon sealer, keeps the hoses from sticking.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...3631/100201204

Gets to single digits here sometimes, in winter I put a trouble light with 40 watt bulb in the cabinet right against my LectraSan. I have had the head freeze, but not enough water sits in it to crack. Wave action sucks water out the Lectrasan which pulls water out the head, siphon action I suppose. Lectrasan sits higher than the exit through hull.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote