Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
dvd
Senior Member
 
dvd's Avatar
 
City: California Bay Area
Country: US
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 362
Unfortunately, even the most flexible hose wouldn't make the bends with the take-offs I needed to fit all of this into the limited space. The only "solid" connection with the CPVC is to the water heater, all other connections to the short CPVC "manifold" are either flexible hose or PEX so I'm hoping that vibration or slight movement will be tolerated OK.

dvd
__________________
Advertisement

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would like to have an acumulator tank so the pump wouldn't run every time I draw water, but the pump installation sheet specifically states not to use one. It's a Shurflo if I remember correctly.

It's really annoying if you turn on the water just a little because the pump switches on and off rapidly.
I agree with Hopman. It suggests your memory of pump make might be wrong Ron, as Shurflo make their own accumulator tank, (as I posted above and used in my set-up), which stops knocking and over-running of the pump very nicely. It does not sound like you have one of their models which has a variable pump output, or it would not behave as yours does. If it is indeed a standard Shurflo, then maybe they put the wrong instruction sheet in with it...? They definitely work better with an accumulator, but it does not need to be large - mine is just 1 litre, and about the same size as the pump, and pairs nicely alongside it.
__________________

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
Guru
 
Fotoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 621
Pex has been used in boats for a number of years with great success. Nice job.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I agree with Hopman. It suggests your memory of pump make might be wrong Ron, as Shurflo make their own accumulator tank, (as I posted above and used in my set-up), which stops knocking and over-running of the pump very nicely. It does not sound like you have one of their models which has a variable pump output, or it would not behave as yours does. If it is indeed a standard Shurflo, then maybe they put the wrong instruction sheet in with it...? They definitely work better with an accumulator, but it does not need to be large - mine is just 1 litre, and about the same size as the pump, and pairs nicely alongside it.
I personally replaced the Shurflow pump and it specifically states not to use an accumulator tank. The instructions are on the boat so I can't check now.

I know they make on, just apparently not for this pump. It's a common water pump used in many boats.

I understand very well the accumulator tank and its purpose. I used to live in a house with a well, submersible pump, and accumulator tank.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #25
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Unfortunately, even the most flexible hose wouldn't make the bends with the take-offs I needed to fit all of this into the limited space. The only "solid" connection with the CPVC is to the water heater, all other connections to the short CPVC "manifold" are either flexible hose or PEX so I'm hoping that vibration or slight movement will be tolerated OK.

dvd
I'm at a loss for good words to describe this, but you can simulate a tight bend by making a longer "loop" in the hose. Out and back to the other fitting.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I personally replaced the Shurflow pump and it specifically states not to use an accumulator tank. The instructions are on the boat so I can't check now.

I know they make on, just apparently not for this pump. It's a common water pump used in many boats.

I understand very well the accumulator tank and its purpose. I used to live in a house with a well, submersible pump, and accumulator tank.
Just noodling: Is the pressure switch sensor internal to the pump on your model? If so that may explain the lack of an accumulator tank option on that pump.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm at a loss for good words to describe this, but you can simulate a tight bend by making a longer "loop" in the hose. Out and back to the other fitting.
Actually a good description. Where most people get into trouble with plumbing is attempting to make tight radius bends in hoses or other flexible plumbing lines. The purple plastic radius guards on the PEX are more to prevent this condition than to facilitate easy bending. Without them the possibility of kinking would present a problem.

PVC or CPVC should be shielded from possible bumping or impact and heavily supported as it does not react well to either.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Here's an example of what I'm trying to say. I could not make a tight bend so I made a "loop".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Strainer05.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	10761  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #29
dvd
Senior Member
 
dvd's Avatar
 
City: California Bay Area
Country: US
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 362
rwidman- I hear what you're saying, and it would be ideal to have only tubing with no transitions/fittings/90 degree turns, etc., but it just wouldn't work with the cold water take-off, the thermo valve take-off, the one-way valve, the drain valve, the expansion tank and the water heater supply all in such a tight space. I tried laying it out with reinforced vinyl and/or PEX only, but just couldn't make it all fit. That PEX is not very flexible -- it takes a lot to get it into the 90 degree supports. It's almost as stiff as the grey polybutylene plumbing it is replacing. At times, compromises are needed, so I did the best I could. If it fails, I'll try the next best thing.

Thanks,
dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
rwidman- I hear what you're saying, and it would be ideal to have only tubing with no transitions/fittings/90 degree turns, etc., but it just wouldn't work with the cold water take-off, the thermo valve take-off, the one-way valve, the drain valve, the expansion tank and the water heater supply all in such a tight space. I tried laying it out with reinforced vinyl and/or PEX only, but just couldn't make it all fit. That PEX is not very flexible -- it takes a lot to get it into the 90 degree supports. It's almost as stiff as the grey polybutylene plumbing it is replacing. At times, compromises are needed, so I did the best I could. If it fails, I'll try the next best thing.

Thanks,
dvd
Plumbing is a significant part of my profession. Would I have done some things differently? Yes.

Having said that, I believe you did a fine job that should give you years of reliable service. Quite frankly it is one of the cleaner installations I have seen performed by a DIY'er and some "pro's".

Well done and congratulations dvd
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Just noodling: Is the pressure switch sensor internal to the pump on your model? If so that may explain the lack of an accumulator tank option on that pump.
Yes, the switch is internal. I will be out of town and away from the boat for a while so I can't check, but it's the common Shurflow potable water pumpt that sells for $100 or a little more.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
rwidman- I hear what you're saying, and it would be ideal to have only tubing with no transitions/fittings/90 degree turns, etc., but it just wouldn't work with the cold water take-off, the thermo valve take-off, the one-way valve, the drain valve, the expansion tank and the water heater supply all in such a tight space. I tried laying it out with reinforced vinyl and/or PEX only, but just couldn't make it all fit. That PEX is not very flexible -- it takes a lot to get it into the 90 degree supports. It's almost as stiff as the grey polybutylene plumbing it is replacing. At times, compromises are needed, so I did the best I could. If it fails, I'll try the next best thing.

Thanks,
dvd
You don't have to justify anything to me, we all do the best we can. I'm just relaying my knowledge and experience. I've had some experience with PVC and CPVC.

I wish you the best.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Water Temp Control dvd Other Trawler Systems 13 03-16-2012 02:41 AM
Holding tank and water tank=which side for pump out and fill??? Fighterpilot Californian 19 11-22-2011 06:10 PM
Domestic Hot Water from Engine Coolent millennium Power Systems 17 10-04-2011 06:26 PM
Hot water heater Forkliftt Other Trawler Systems 37 02-05-2011 06:23 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012