Guru

I will guess an air bleed.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #22

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
HIDHO
Are you saying that the shower head was the problem, I have the same problem.

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Check valve? Took mine off when new tank installed as not needed, maybe needed if hooked up to dock water though, which I never do.

Why remove the expansion tank again?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Most likely it is a thermal pressure relief valve. When or if the water heater fails to turn off when the temp reaches a set point the pressure and temp. will increase triggering the relief valve to open and reducing the pressure building in the water heater.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
No, it has a relief valve mounted on the front of the heater. It also has no visible moving parts other than a typical valve stem, mine had no hand wheel. The bottom has pipe threads below the bonnet and inside there is the base of the stem with nothing attached to it. Larry you are going to have to photograph yours as mine has disappeared, the installer I used for the hot water heater was going to save mine to try and find out what it is but it has disappeared from his work truck. The mystery continues!!
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #26
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Kartracer the flow restrictor that caused the hot cold water is in a telephone type shower head. On ours you screw off the shower head and it sits in a recess in the middle of the rubber seal washer, it had turned sideways and went part way up the handle. (photos). The plumber/boater friend told me the new style Shurflow revolution pump would sense the alternating restriction from the restrictor plus you always close down on the hot water valve when mixing to get the right temperature in the shower and go into a run/ bypass mode causing the fluctuation in the hot water supply.
Sunchaser we have a check valve on the cold water inlet to the hot water heater to prevent hot water back flowing into the cold water piping. during the heater install we checked to make sure it was in good shape and functional. Expansion tank removed as it will cause the new type Shurflow pumps to hunt and not have a clean shut down as per the pump instruction sheet.
I thought to remove the flow restrictor which gives a great flow from the shower head but with a 6 gallon hot water heater the nice warm shower might not last very long. I'm Navy trained and still do the get wet, soap, rinse routine. Plus "Hollywood type showers" don't get you any cleaner.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	44080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	44081  

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote