Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Couldn't agree more. What's needed for a passage maker is just plain silly for the "average" boater.

I'm in psneeld's camp here. Spend money where it counts and don't freak out about stuff that won't turn your boat into a submarine. For crying out loud most of this stuff can be found in a routine maintenance check.

Having a nut driver in your hand when checking hose clamps is a good idea. Putting it on all the hose clamps you are checking is a better idea.
Thanks..I would bet that most people don't know exactly where the water level is in every through hull/hose/system and if one popped would it be a serious threat to their boat.

I'll bet that under my average cruising conditions...less than a dozen hose clamps I would consider critical.

A lot of "experts" will discuss engine cooling and exhaust systems as critical...it's funny...I have been on dozens of rescues that tell me it's mostly a self correcting event. The hose comes loose, the engine pumps the bilge full of water until something stops the engine or the results are so noticeable to the capt that he shuts it down. End of flooding.

Not one hose clamp on my fresh water system water system, only a couple on the sanitary system, etc..etc are really critical. Even the salt water washdown and toilet system can only fill the boat by pump at 4 gal/min which is way smaller than my smallest bilge pump. Just not many threats to sinking by water ingress...especially by faulty hose clamps.

There are a lot of ways to sink a boat...set it up right and hose clamps and hoses will be a very small threat.

I know too many boaters are more worried about their hose clamps than safety gear, training, risk management, docklines, anchoring techniques and gear, etc...etc...

We all pick our battles and only some of us have the checkbook to fulfill every squeaky detail.....especially if it's not critical for safety.

In my book...knowing your boat this well is much better than saying how good your hose clamps are...knowledge is the most important safety ingredient.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. What's needed for a passage maker is just plain silly for the "average" boater.
There is rational over kill and irrational over kill. I am not advocating the irrational version. :-)

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #43
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Spend money where it counts and don't freak out about stuff that won't turn your boat into a submarine.
Is there something wrong with submarines? Do I need to change my avatar again?

But otherwise, yeah, most forum members suffer from OCD syndrome...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Is there something wrong with submarines? Do I need to change my avatar again?

Nothing at all and would ya please? That was a personal favorite of mine.

The other part, yeah I've noticed.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote