Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Hose Clamp Specs

What are recommended*marine*specs for hose clamps?

Material?

Source...Home Depot / Lowes or WM / similar?

Length of tag end when tighten down around a hose on fitting?

Anything else the uninformed*should know?
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Hose Clamp Specs

Hose clamps must be only marine grade all stainless steel, non perforated, lined, with minimal "razor sharp" ends sticking out, covered with plastic end caps, double clamped on any thru hull application, spring loaded for applications with temperature changes, checked for tightness daily, changed monthly, (just in case) installed with inch pound torquemeter to exactly the right torque, and certified by 2 mechanics. "I knew a guy who's cousin had a friend that didn't do this exact thing and his boat blew up, sank and burned to the waterline because he bought a hardware store clamp." When the ABYC police came by they were so distracted by my neighbors half nekkid 18 year old daughter that they forgot to look at my hose clamps.

Or maybe you could use hardware store clamps, check them as your experience indicates they need checked, replaced when rusty, and tightened to a common sense tightness.

Please check that your computer has the sarcasm/humor font installed when reading this post. I've used hardware store clamps for 32 years now on my boats and haven't had any hose clamp related problems. I've changed rusty ones and been cut by sharp ones.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Any hose clamp that is attracted to a magnet shouldn't be on a boat.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Quote:
2bucks wrote:
Hose clamps must be only marine grade all stainless steel, non perforated, lined, with minimal "razor sharp" ends sticking out, covered with plastic end caps, double clamped on any thru hull application, spring loaded for applications with temperature changes, checked for tightness daily, changed monthly, (just in case) installed with inch pound torquemeter to exactly the right torque, and certified by 2 mechanics. "I knew a guy who's cousin had a friend that didn't do this exact thing and his boat blew up, sank and burned to the waterline because he bought a hardware store clamp." When the ABYC police came by they were so distracted by my neighbors half nekkid 18 year old daughter that they forgot to look at my hose clamps.

Or maybe you could use hardware store clamps, check them as your experience indicates they need checked, replaced when rusty, and tightened to a common sense tightness.

Please check that your computer has the sarcasm/humor font installed when reading this post. I've used hardware store clamps for 32 years now on my boats and haven't had any hose clamp related problems. I've changed rusty ones and been cut by sharp ones.

Ken
Now that's funny right there!!!:biggrin:
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
2bucks wrote:

Ken
*Well done, 2bucks.* Very funny stuff right there...no matter where you're from!!*
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
FF
Guru

ON plastic or rubber good marine hose clamps make sleeping at night easier , esp if the boat is unoccupied.

For Silicon hoses the proper $10. each clamp is a requirement .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

I've bought some of the cheaper clamps at certain "home improvement stores"....and had to replace them sooner than expected. I buy most of my clamps from NAPA now, and it seems that they are of a higher quality....all stainless steel, and you can get a volume break.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46

Thanks all for your recommendations & Ken for your humor. Did have a local mechanic tell me that double clamps on thru hulls are only for salt water...as if sinking in 120' of fresh water was no problem.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

Quote:
BON DIA wrote:
Thanks all for your recommendations & Ken for your humor. Did have a local mechanic tell me that double clamps on thru hulls are only for salt water...as if sinking in 120' of fresh water was no problem.

That's a new one on me.....* Does he carry his tools in a dishpan?
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote