Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: Holding tanks - where have you put them???

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Conrad wrote:
If you have 3-4 folks on board in a popular anchorage, and *you want to keep your spot for more than a day you'll need reasonable holding tank capacity. *We had a small (10 gal.) holding tank that was ludicrous and have just upgraded to 35 gallons which will make life much better. And having the capacity doesn't mean that you always have to use it.

Estimates vary, but I've heard that you typically use 1 gallon per flush, which can add up pretty quickly.*

The other thing to consider (if you haven't already) is direct discharge for use when allowed.*

*I've been out in the woods to long. I can't seem to get my mind around the*idea that most folks have boating down in the lower 48.**It seems where ever you go someone is already there.

When I go out I sometimes don't even see another boat. I don't mean coming or going. Just when I decide where to anchor.

SD

*The quiet serenity that you experience, weather permitting , must be very nice indeed!*

Although I have to say that when in a crowded anchorage I do enjoy checking out the myriad of interesting boats around me.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: Holding tanks - where have you put them???

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

Why a "male" staff person to operate the pumpout?* What happened to equal opportunity?* Do the males get paid more because they can operate the pumpout?

*Who knows?* All I know is the ladies in the marina office will not do it I am told, and we had the same experience at a different marina over new year weekend as well.* It seems to be a sort of 'special' inequality of the sexes thing, they invoke when equality is not so neat.* It's not hard to do though, so it's a mystery to me.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Holding tanks - where have you put them???

Quote:
Peter B wrote:rwidman wrote:

Why a "male" staff person to operate the pumpout?* What happened to equal opportunity?* Do the males get paid more because they can operate the pumpout?

*Who knows?* All I know is the ladies in the marina office will not do it I am told, and we had the same experience at a different marina over new year weekend as well.* It seems to be a sort of 'special' inequality of the sexes thing, they invoke when equality is not so neat.* It's not hard to do though, so it's a mystery to me.

If they get paid the same and have the same job description, they should be doing the same work.* I would not expect an office worker to pump out holding tanks, but dock hands, etc. should do it, male or female, young or old.*

Just tell them that if they won't pump the tank, you'll just use your own macerator to empty it.**

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 19th of January 2012 07:19:32 AM

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote