Holding Tank for Trader 39

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian Streten

We are looking at fitting a holding tank on our Trader 39.* If possible we would like to make it a gravity feed system.* At present the favoured position is on the bulk head behind the heads in the engine room.* Can't say that we are 100% sold on this idea, so I am placing this question to ascertain any ideas from you knowledgeable & more experienced people than I.

Thank you.

Hi there Ian...

If you move or repost in "Other Trawler Systems" you will get good responses I'm sure.

Not speaking from personal experience of course, but holding tanks generally make poor anchors!

Quite new to forum. Missed the different areas to feature one's questions.* Thank you for pointing out the 'Error of my Ways'

Have now looked in 'Other Trawler Systems' & have formulated some ideas from the extensive listings about this subject.* Must say this forum is a great source of help & information. Thank you

Ian Streten

www.tripsailor.com/Carlina

Welcome to the forum Ian!

You will find a lot of very good info here, some of it contradictory, but in time you will find what works for you.*

All the best in your new adventure!

I'd think if one's anchor line was attached to a sunken tank (like a Sherman, a Tiger, etcetera) would make for great holding.

Ian Streten wrote:
*At present the favoured position is on the bulk head behind the heads in the engine room.
*As long as you're asking here I'll answer here.* The adminstrators can move the discussion if they want to.*

One of the holding tanks on our boat is in the engine room in bilge between the engines and under the floorboards.* It's a 40 gallon tank and this seems to be a very logical place for it.* The plumbing run to get from the forward toilet to the tank is not all downhill but the pump on the toilet does a good job of pushing material through to the tank and the plumbing itself is made of non-permeable tubing.

Assuming the location you are considering in your engine room is convenient for installation and repair or servicing, it would seem to me it should work well.

Based on our experience and the advice of Peggie Hall, the boating world's resident expert on sanitation systems, I would suggest you go with a one-piece molded tank as opposed to a built-up tank that has seams.* If the space is irregular in shape it may require a built-up tank to fit.* But it sounds like a rectangular or square tank would fit in the space you are contemplating.* Most molded holding tank manufacturers offer a variety of shapes and sizes so you should be able to find one that will fit the space you have.

And whatever you do, don't use a metal tank.* Any metal, including stainless.* The contents of the tank will eventually eat at the metal and pinhole it.* Our boat had a stainless holding tank in the lazarette so we know about the pinholing.* We replaced it with a one-piece molded plastic tank.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 02:13:17 PM

The "Rubber Bags" sold by many (in Defender catalog) work fine and are the easiest to get into a gravity dump position.

With a hack saw modification (for use when in Patigonia) it is a MOMENTS WORK TO MODIFY A 3 WAY VALVE.

HEAD TO SEA,,,,HEAD TO BAG OF RUBBER,,,BAG TO SEA.

With the ease the bag can be rinsed and dumped it is easy to have no smell aboard.

I need a bit more information before offering any advice... How many toilets?* Where are they located--at opposite ends of the boat? Or closer together?* Make/model/age?** Hoses--age? Brand (should be on the hose)? Smelly?*

I see you're not in the US...looks like you'll mostly be in the Med. Will you also need a gray water tank?* US regs prohibit combining black and gray water in the same tank...don't know if EU or ISO does too, but I strongly recommend against it because gray water tanks are MUCH more difficult to manage than toilet waste tanks...let's keep 'em separate if you must hold gray water.

*How reasonable (or not) is it for you to buy from UK sources?

Even before knowing the answers to those questions, I can tell you that you do NOT want a bladder tank for waste holding.* And I'm not all that crazy about the engine room as the location for a waste tank, for several reasons--difficult to vent to keep the tank aerobic...heat can be a problem...and the hose runs from toilet(s) to tank can be a lot longer, and more challenging and convoluted than they'd be in a better location.

As you may or may not know, this site is about to go down while being switched to another web host, possibly for days or longer...so if you want to continue the conversation during the "break," just send me an email (you can do that from my profile)...NOT a private message, EMAIL. I'll be glad to help you sort it all out and find good sources.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 09:20:37 PM

With any RV gravity style direct drop setup, there is still a requirement for a vent stack.

Its still a system, not just a box of ****.

The vent stack will be from the top and a dip tube almost to the tank bottom will be required to pump it out.

We have often used www.duracast.com.

A simple sketch and they will install whatever fittings you decide on .

Tanks are so light , they have a deal with UPS and can ship "oversized" tanks easily.

Even easier is a visit , where you X mark the spot and a pretty girl spins in the fitting for you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom