Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Holding tank location

I could use some help in locating my holding tank on my 1989 48 Californian MY. The specs. say the tank is either 70 gallons or 170 gallons. I have lifted every hatch and looked in every available space I have. I even have followed the waste hoses and I cannot locate and area large enough to hold a tank that size, as a matter of fact I cannot locate any holding tank at all. The hoses disappear behind bulkheads that would not support a tank of that size and yes I know I have one. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Vyndance
Vessel Model: 48 Californian CP
It is under the galley sole. There is a removable bulkhead to the rear of the chain locker and on the forward end of the engine room.

Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
170 gals (even 70)? Wow! That's a lot of you know what!

(Sorry, could not resist)
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I wish I had...

A) a 70 Gal holding tank

and

B) a boat so big I couldn't find my 70 Gal holding tank!!
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance View Post
It is under the galley sole. There is a removable bulkhead to the rear of the chain locker and on the forward end of the engine room.

Under the galley sole, I have 3 a/c units, a watermaker, and a hot water heater. The only sewage lines I have forward are running on the port side and the connect to the forward stateroom head. This is an enigma. The only other place I can think it may be is under the dinette, I do not have any known access ports there other than the storage under the seating.This is driving me nuts.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
Last winter i did the Fla trip and during that trip we had issues with the aft head, following the lines the holding tank was Up in the rear of a cabinet in the aft cabin. about 15 screws later there it was. the fwd holding tank was located mid ship under the dinning area the only way to access it was to remove the entire sitting area poor design.No telling where its located.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Can you trace back via a vent line or pumpout hose?
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #8

Yea tried that, it always ends up at a bulkhead but then there is no large area on the other side? I think it is under the dinette which would require me to take the entire thing apart. I don't have any issues with it but just would like to know where the damn thing is.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
I don't have any issues with it but just would like to know where the damn thing is.
Put a small cell phone in a sandwich bag, seal it, flush it down the toilet, and then call it.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
...I was thinking the same thing but substitute the cell phone with a cherry bomb.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Mine? Next to the hanging closet.

And very glad not having two toilets/holding tanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

Two toilets, each with its own holding tank is great. If something happens to one toilet or holding tank system you can carry on with the second one rather than have to stop everything in mid cruise and troubleshoot and fix the one.

Also, each stateroom has its own head and toilet so there is no need for the people in one cabin to be disturbed by the people in the other cabin.

We would consider having a boat with one engine, but after 14 years with a boat with two heads we would never consider a boat with just one unless it was just a one stateroom, one-couple boat.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Put a small cell phone in a sandwich bag, seal it, flush it down the toilet, and then call it.
Plumbers have a tool that locates underground or otherwise hidden pipes. A metal snake is run into the pipe and an electronic sensor is run over the suspected location of the pipe until it is located by a sound or meter reading. A specialized version of a metal detector. I have used them.

This would work, but it seems a bit drastic on a boat. There are only so many places a holding tank could be on a boat and the tank is connected to at least three hoses, the inlet, the outlet, and the vent.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes is all it takes. I suggest asking an experienced friend to help look for the tank or even hiring a pro. It might be worth it in the long run.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Is the Carver company still in business, or is there an owners group or other similar model Carver owner you can contact?
maybe you can get your hands on one of these, a friend has one and found it very usefull SeeSnake® micro peer inside a bulkhead through a small opening
Good luck
Steve W
Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Something that might work is to empty the holding tank (I assume you can do that even though you don't know where it is) and then with the boat very quiet in the slip have someone operate the toilet and see if you can hear the water falling into the tank. Holding tanks invariably have their input fitting on the top of the tank or at the top of one of the sides of the tank. We can hear the water falling into our holding tank in the lazarette and the one in the engine room if the boat is quiet and we're near the tank.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It would be very scary for me to own a boat that I couldn't see every major part and have reasonable access to it. If you can't access a particular space...time to break out the sawsall and access plates.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #17

I too, had the problem of finding the holding tank on 34 Cal LRC. Mine is a much smaller boat than yours, but being the same mfg, perhaps there is some simalarity. Mine is between the stringers in the very botom of the hull. It appears to be molded glass. I have cushion matting on top which makes a very comfortable place to walk or kneel. The top op the tank is 5 inches or so below the top of the stringers so it hard to believe there is a thirty gallon tank underfoot. The 70 gal fresh water tank is behind the waste tank making the walkway flat from the front bulkhead/ engine room door back 15 feet or so to the gen set. I looked long and hard not finding it. I called the PO who said it right behind the engine room door. I was there, and it wasn't (so I thought). I called him back. he reassured me it was. I lifted the foam and voila! the tank. At 24" wide x 15'long waste +water it doesn't need to be very deep. It is about 6" deep I think.

Capn Craig is online now   Reply With Quote