Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yeah, that's a neat idea, that glove thing. I learnt the benefit of heat previously, but can't say it ever worked quite as well as Marin mentioned. I think I have a plumbing job coming on. My diverter valve keeps sticking, damn it.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I learnt the benefit of heat previously, but can't say it ever worked quite as well as Marin mentioned.
I suspect the success of using heat is dependent at least to a degree on the type of hose being worked with.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #23

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I did this last November. The aft system suffered from permeation and the Admiral said get it out. At the end of the season I pumped out then filled with water and pumped out again. I then flushed several ounces of that holding tank treatment into the head and pumped one last time. I could not get the hoses off the barbs on the tank so I just put a big wrench on the fittings and backed it out. As you can see in the photo some hoses still have them on. Even with the double flush there remained about of an inch of sludge on the bottom of the tank. It was below the fitting opening so I was able to list it out without much spillage.

The hoses were not too bad just stunk, I cut where needed. I replaced this all with a Natures Head
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1639.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	17708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1640.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	17709  
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
How has that Natures Head been working out for you now that you have a few months on it?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #25

We have not begun our boating season yet. We should have a report by the end of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
How has that Natures Head been working out for you now that you have a few months on it?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Fond du Lac
Vessel Name: Pokey
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa/New Bedford 38
All my hoses are black. Almost looks like fuel hose. Like I said, very stiff.
Stopped at napa and picked up a hose pick and rubber gloves. Now the fun begins..Thanks for all the great tips
Pokey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Henry: I think that tip might be the best so far. Good to see a GH on board here, by the way.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey2 View Post
All my hoses are black. Almost looks like fuel hose. Like I said, very stiff.
Stopped at napa and picked up a hose pick and rubber gloves. Now the fun begins..Thanks for all the great tips
Some of the best sanitation hose is black. Look for information printed along the hose, then do a web search or post it here. Good sanitation hose runs close to $10.00 per foot.

Take a clean white towel or washcloth, soak it in hot water, wring it out, and wrap it around your existing hose. Let it cool, then remove it and sniff it. If it smells like sewage, it's permeated and should be replaced. If not, there's no need to spend that kind of money on something you don't need.

BTW: Go back and get the hose grease. I just realized that WM sells it also but the auto parts store stuff is just as good in this case.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
yo
Veteran Member

If PVC pipe was to be used on the long straight run, and rubber hose used at tank & head ends. What type of fitting is used between the hose and the PVC pipe? thinking this maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks Mike
yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
The marine sanitation store we use in Seattle sells connector fittings to join 1.5" ID PVC to 1.5" ID hose. You can get them at marine suppliers, too, like Fisheries Supply, All our sanitation runs are PVC with super heavy duty sanitation hose (black) for the gradual bends and connections. I've managed to forget what the hose is called but it's the stuff Peggie Hall recommended as the most permeation-resistant hose on the planet. Not Cheap.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo View Post
If PVC pipe was to be used on the long straight run, and rubber hose used at tank & head ends. What type of fitting is used between the hose and the PVC pipe? thinking this maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks Mike
Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. carry large gray barb fittings that are threaded on one end or double barbed.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #32
FF
Guru

Folks that dont pump out enough frequently suffer tanks with hard deposits that dont leave.

The RV solution ids to empty the tank , install 20-30 lbs of ice cubes and go for a ride.

Easy with a 3 inch RV toilet feed that drops straight down.

But funneling cubes into a 2 inch hose might be workable on some boats.

Good luck , mowing down the "Standing Soldiers".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #33
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Check swimming pool stores too. They use a lot of these fittings on spas.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The marine sanitation store we use in Seattle sells connector fittings to join 1.5" ID PVC to 1.5" ID hose. You can get them at marine suppliers, too, like Fisheries Supply, All our sanitation runs are PVC with super heavy duty sanitation hose (black) for the gradual bends and connections. I've managed to forget what the hose is called but it's the stuff Peggie Hall recommended as the most permeation-resistant hose on the planet. Not Cheap.
Peggie Hall promoted Trident Sani Shield Sanitation hose. Number 101 is black and number 102 is white. Peggie invented the wheel with marine sanitation and I didn't want to reinvent it so I chose Trident #102. The hose is expensive but it was something I didn't want to repeat for a while.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Heat also makes child's play of installing tight-fitting new hose on fittings along with the use of Lemon Joy detergent.
A tip from my professional ship pipe fitter friend: he taught me to use KY Jelly instead of soap. The problem is that soap will remain slippery, but KY is basically sugar (glycerine) and hardens up pretty quickly.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #36

Dip the ends in a mug of hot black coffee for 2 minutes once this is done the coffee is cool enough to drink and the hose soft enough to fit on the fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post
A tip from my professional ship pipe fitter friend: he taught me to use KY Jelly instead of soap. The problem is that soap will remain slippery, but KY is basically sugar (glycerine) and hardens up pretty quickly.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #37
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We replaced the entire system on the sailboat. Found a little heat worked best for removal (that or slice the hose lengthwise, but be careful not to cut the fitting). For reinstall, Petty Hall recommends against heat as it can hurt the hose - something about the odor permiability. Stuff is expensive, and I didn't want to do it again, so followed her advice. We found the easiest way to reinstall the hose without heat was to stretch the ends slightly with an exhaust/tailpipe spreader. The tool is available at almost any autoparts store and very inexpensive. Once you stretch it slightly and remove the spreader, quickly putt it on the fitting, as it will shrink back to normal size pretty quickly. Only other piece of advice is to double clamp all the fittings.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I'm a little late to the party and Mike has probably already finished his project. Just wanted to say the captain and I did this job together shortly after we got the boat and it was surprisingly not that bad. We put ziplock bags on the ends of the hoses (well taped). I like the glove idea.

If you have ever picked up after a dog with mushy poo you have dealt with way worse than you are going to encounter removing your holding tank. flush flush flush the system before you start though!

-the admiral
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandEagle View Post

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
As I mentioned above, there is a product made specifically for lubricating hoses when installing them. Your professional ship pipe fitter friend may not be aware of it. I don't think hardening is necessarily good in this application.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
It looks like West Marine is now carrying such and adapter. It appears to be way overpriced so a search of home centers might pay off.