Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #41
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Dave,
Actually I think your post served well. T.Y. I have been doing the same with the vent line filters for a number of years now and it works well and is a LOT cheaper that buying new all the time. I used a mesh or screen to sew a bag then closed with a tiny Tyrap that holds the charcoal so it can't migrate. I punched out the foam at the ends that contained the original charcoal to reduce airflow restriction. Yeah, I know air flow still is not great.

Your post also prompted some other good info out that was not available except indirectly.

Bubblers or aeration. Yes it has been around for a while but not really very much info about it. Certainly not promoted much and not effectively.

When I built and installed my tank ~15 yrs ago there was no info about aeration in boat holding tank systems that I found.

RickB's, Hopcar's and Steve's posts got me to realize that there is more to it. Dah, Of course municipal systems stir and aerate for the same reason.

I will put this on a speed up list of todo's. My system works well now but it can be better, obviously.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #42
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I know Peggie Hall doesn't like filters in the vent line. She doesn't want to restrict the air flow and she says they often get blocked.

I'm not sure it's possible for the typical 5/8" ID vent line to supply enough air to support the aerobic bacteria any way. Maybe the filter is the way to go. Let it stink, pump out often, and change the charcoal.

Another way to go would be Groco's Sweet Tank Kit. It pumps air into the bottom of the holding tank whick kills the stinky bacteria.
HopCar, this sure looks like a good solution. What sort of cost is it, and how hard to install?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #43
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hi Steve, when I get to the store today I'll work up a price for you. As I recall it wasn't cheap and you may be better off making a copy of Steve W's system.

No wonder I'm not rich. I keep telling people not to buy things! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hi Steve, when I get to the store today I'll work up a price for you. As I recall it wasn't cheap and you may be better off making a copy of Steve W's system.

No wonder I'm not rich. I keep telling people not to buy things! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.
Naw - Feeling, feeling, feeling - toward the well being of fellow TF members' pocketbooks... OK, maybe just a bit stupid!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Defender currently has a Special Buy price of $224; the cheapest I could find. Just purchased the kit for my unsavory head and plan to install over the winter.

Mike
DinghyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #46
Guru

I removed the filter and installed two 1 1/2" vent lines. Used the bacteria. Peggy recommend. The unpleasant smell disappeared. I am a happy camper
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #47
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Steve, I looked up the price of the Groco Sweet Tank system. They have two versions. One is much cheaper than the other. I haven't figured out the difference yet. I'm still working on it. I need to down load the new Groco catalog.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I removed the filter and installed two 1 1/2" vent lines. Used the bacteria. Peggy recommend. The unpleasant smell disappeared. I am a happy camper
That's what I did on by previous boat (sail) and it worked well also, but wasn't sure I could get my vent runs short enough on the current trawler (the holding tank is centerline/low and integral to the keel). How did you run your dual vent lines?

Mike
DinghyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinghyDog View Post
That's what I did on by previous boat (sail) and it worked well also, but wasn't sure I could get my vent runs short enough on the current trawler (the holding tank is centerline/low and integral to the keel). How did you run your dual vent lines?

Mike
Mike. I installed two plastic tru hulls at opposite sides of the holding tank. And ran the hoses as straight as i could. 1 1/2" is probably over kill but figured it could not hurt. .....oh I installed a 4"plastic screw port for access inside the tank

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote