Holding tank blues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbrzmc2

Vessel Name
Seabird
Vessel Make
Hershine
I know there is a wealth of information here so I think I will tap into it. I have been redoing an '86 42' Hershine. It has two heads with vacuum generators. The one fore works great, the one aft in the master, not so much. The vacuum generator ran constantly so I changed the vacuum switch and all four duck bill valves. Now it makes a couple pumps and throws the breaker. Took it apart, cleaned all the pipes and checked for blockages (YUCK) and pump worked fine chucka chucka. Put back together and couple pumps then throws the breaker again. Any ideas what the problem is? Also, how does one empty these smaller holding tanks into the main holding tank.
Regards and mahalo for any help.
Kevin McClendon
Honolulu

You may have a set of the duck bills in backward. Take the ducks out and see if the unit runs more than a couple of pumps.

....... Also, how does one empty these smaller holding tanks into the main holding tank.

You're going to have to explain that one a little more. If you have multiple holding tanks and they are intended to drain or be pumped into the "main" holding tank, you should be able to see the plumbing and pumps (if applicable).

Often, if there are multiple holding tanks on a boat, each has its own deck fitting and overboard pump and thruhull.

It's the the vacuum pump assembly. If the breaker is tripping, the only DC component of the system is the pump assembly. If the duck bills, as JD suggested, are installed correctly, you most likely have paper (or crap) restricting the diaphragm which is causing the motor to trip the breaker. Disconnect the motor from the diaphragm. If the motors runs, the problem is with the diaphragm. Get the manual to disassemble, it's not that hard or buy a new pump assembly. Remember not to bite your finger nails.

Last edited:
Remember not to bite your finger nails.

Awah man I was having lunch.:eek:

SD

mrbrzmc2 said:
Also, how does one empty these smaller holding tanks into the main holding tank.
I believe that the small tanks are for storing vacuum pressure. Not holding tanks per se. Stuff should flow through there at warp speed when bowl is opened. Nothing should remain.

Thanks for all the help. I will try these things without biting my nails. Boat is at work dock now getting new engines installed. Old ones were toast.

Vent plugged?

Back
Top Bottom