Help finding a replacement head sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Branwen
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I replaced the leaky, corroding faucet in my guest head, including the drain assembly that came with the new faucet. Removing the old drain assembly, I discovered that the 70s-vintage drop-in rectangular sink is cast iron and disintegrating from the inside out, beginning at the overflow channel. It's only a matter of time before it crumbles into the vanity or develops uncontrollable leaks at the hardware interfaces.

The sink is roughly 12-1/2 inches front to back and 20 inches side to side with the back left corner configured as a soap dish and the back right corner drilled with 3 4-inch centered holes for faucet install. While there's counter space and clearance to install a faucet at the center back, the offset corner placement gives a better run to the drain.

Replacing the countertop to accommodate a new sink wouldn't be a big deal, but it complicates the replacement and increases the expense, probably a reality I need to accept.

I haven't been successful at finding a boat-sized sink. I've looked online at the hardware stores, RV suppliers, and marine stores for a replacement. Household replacements are too large, the typical RV sink is oval molded plastic, a bit flimsier and more fragile than I'd like, and I haven't found much different at the marine suppliers. I'd prefer a drop-in or undermount ceramic or composite replacement. Oval or rectangular would be acceptable.

I'm not asking others to google for me, but I'd appreciate recommendations and lessons learned from those who've solved a similar problem or have other suppliers I should try. I must be missing something.

Thanks for your help.

You may have already thought of this but a local machine shop can custom make one to your specs out of stainless

No, I didn't know that and wouldn't have come up with it on my own. Thanks.

I haven't been successful at finding a boat-sized sink.

There's nothing arcanely "marine" about galley and head sinks...most galley sinks are "bar" sinks (sized to use in a wet bar or in saloons)...most head sinks are sized for "powder rooms" and half baths. So instead of searching retail suppliers, try searching commercial kitchen and bath fixture suppliers and mfrs.

Peggie

try this place, they have a pile of sinks last time I was there, they are pretty good at helping if not slammed with walk ins...

http://www.themarineconnection.net/

I went through this process last winter, replacing sinks, countertops, and plumbing in both heads and the galley. We had a very hard time finding head sinks small enough, and it just took a lot of leg work on line to match the dimensions needed. Your Hatteras is a bigger boat and has bigger heads and sinks than mine, which should be beneficial. Finding a drop-in rectangular stainless sink would be the easiest route if you can get close in size.. I'd also visit the Hatteras Forum at Sam's Marine and post your question. Lots of Hatt owners there who have done a lot of work on their boats.

Thanks, Peggie, psneeld, and Ken. I'll pursue all of your suggestions.

The Scandvik sinks provide several beautiful options, and I see Defender is a retailer. Thanks for the lead.

IKEA has a number of different sized sinks , many quite small.

We chose a unit with attached SS side board so the dishes in a rack would drain and dry with no effort.

I did canvas work for a friend who just retired as a cabinet maker. Prior to his retirement, I told him how much we hated those tiny marine sinks located in each bathroom/head. So he custom made Corean counter tops with Corean bathroom sinks which we installed as replacements for the old stuff. Well pleased with these installations.

The guys at Sam's Marine should be able to help you get the right specs, may even know where to get one. If you haven't made their acquaintance already, they are an invaluable resource for any vintage Hatteras owner.

Give 'em a call !

Sam's Marine International

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom