Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #1

City: Vancouver
Heating on a GB 46

question was posted on a different thread but thought it might be better to start a new one.
How well does the diesel hydronic heating system do on this Vancouver winter weather? How much fuel does it burn at this 0-5C weather?

yvr2ams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I'm in Boston on a GB 42 with a webasto 90ST hydronic.
Our boat is partially insulated, and obviously a bit smaller, but it's also a good 5-10C colder here - so I would guess our heating requirements might actually be fairly similar.

We use 80 gallons per month in the heart of the winter. I'm guessing we'll be at about 250 gallons for the entire season.

Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
It doesn't get that cold here in the South of France, maybe 3/4 months and that's it, we don't get any of that white fluffy stuff.
But as I get older I get softer and any fool can be uncomfortable.
Our 42' is partially insulated, as soon as a part of the hull is exposed for access for any reason we insulate it.
We've also insulated all the hot air delivery pipes with 'snap on insulation' sleeves which make a considerable difference to the delivery temperature.
We fitted a 8 kw Planar diesel fired hot air system on our boat and we're very happy with it, it boosts our 5 KW shoreside winter supply.
Its made in China as a copy of a Russian heater but basically they're the same as Webasto or Eberspacher except for the price.
I paid 220 Euro's plus 60 for customs and found it on a site called www.Wish.com along with some stainless steel hatch handles and stainless press studs for our winter window covers.
I've got no commercial ties with them, I'm just a tight fisted bargain seeker.
BUT buyer beware, some goods look good in the photo's but are actually smaller, beware any cutting tools, they are only good for 5/6 uses, then bin them.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #4

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We have a Webasto 2010S hydronic heater, good for a 50 ft power boat according to Sure Marine. It uses .4 gal/hr (1.5 l/hr) and keeps our boat nice and warm. We have 3 zones and a heater/defroster on the flybridge for when we are traveling. Note: flybridge doesn't get as warm as the inside because it is canvas covered, but it does take the edge off. In this cold weather it is running about a 50% duty cycle, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Remember, if the unit uses .4 gallons per hour, that means constant running. Usually hydronic systems cycle. I could go all winter on 30 gallons on my 34’ sail boat. I have no idea what my 60’ boat uses as I have 650 gallons on board.

Nothing provides heat like a diesel hydronic system.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote