Old 12-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

City: Gustavus
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Heater Reinstall

I have recently installed a Planar hot air Diesel Heater in the wheelhouse portion of my Allweather. It works great. Only it is too loud. I can't imagine living with it. It is in an exposed place and the wheelhouse is small so I should have known. I had an alternate location scoped out before I went ahead and put it where it is now.

I am going to move it to the other location that is under the aft deck. There is plenty of room, the only problem is exhaust. I can't get the exhaust thru-hull up high enough in the under deck space. My plan is to glass/epoxy in a fiberglass tube out through the deck under the gunnel and up to just below the decked in area on one side of the cockpit. My heater exhaust tube would go up through this pipe, out the top of the fiberglass tube and down somewhat to a thru-hull.

The issue insulateing the exhaust tubing with insulation or a double wall exhaust tube or both. I don't have a complete an accurate idea of the exhaust temperatures involved here or the physics of temperature transfer.

The fiberglass tubing I have looked at are rated to 250 degrees or so. I can get 1" double wall exhaust tube, insulating wrap or sock type insulation.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I measured the temp on my Planar exhaust at over 700F before I finished insulating the exhaust hose.

That thing gets dangerously hot. I wouldn't recommend letting it get anywhere near fiberglass.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #3

I got the heater reinstalled under the back deck. The corrugated flexible exhaust goes up through a stainless steel pipe in a fiberglass pipe. The corrugated pipe is wrapped with insulation where it passes through the stainless pipe.

I took some temperature measurements with the heater running at full power.
The temp at the exhaust outlet on the heater - 408F
At corrugated pipe entering tube at base - 308
At stainless tube entering base of fiberglass tube - 223
Corrugated pipe exiting at top - 260
Thru hull elbow - 223
The fiberglass tube is just warm at the bottom and top. There is an air space between the stainless pipe and fiberglass tube.

As far as I can tell it has worked out well.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #4

City: G
Looks good!!
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ak. Nice neat work. I like it.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
How about some pictures of your boat? Love the allweathers!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
How about some pictures of your boat? Love the allweathers!
The boat is under a tarp in my yard, not very attractive. I have never been in the water with it, hope to this summer.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #8

City: G
Further thought. Not sure of the location, but if it is possible to touch the flexible flue while your heater is running you might care to wrap the exposed parts in some of that (glass?) cloth you have already used. It should be sufficient to stop your skin sticking to it!!
stone beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone beach View Post
Further thought. Not sure of the location, but if it is possible to touch the flexible flue while your heater is running you might care to wrap the exposed parts in some of that (glass?) cloth you have already used. It should be sufficient to stop your skin sticking to it!!
I plan to put a stainless plate hanging from the gunwale over the exposed hot bits.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
The aim is to patronize, the installation may be performed only by authorized installer, think about what you think about the insurance institution if the damage resulting from the product happen.

Planar manuals link

http://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&...tagSBVmFNSqMRg
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Fiberglass won't burn, it will melt but only at extremely high temps. However, the resin used with the fiberglass to make the tube could be a completely different animal. Do you know what resin was used or does the tube have a temp rating?

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Fiberglass won't burn, it will melt but only at extremely high temps. However, the resin used with the fiberglass to make the tube could be a completely different animal. Do you know what resin was used or does the tube have a temp rating?

Ken
It is tube designed for wet exhaust and rated at 250 degrees F. I haven't seen it get anywhere near that.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
It should be good then. Looks like you did a careful installation.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #14
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post

Ken

Hi Ken,

no smoke with out fire.

In any case, lit or not lit improperly installed heater is the risk of potential will you. and if you have installed the heater and the documentation says that the installation can only be made by authorized installer, you are really struggling to get compensation insurance

Please, article and video burnig boat

Fire at sea: crew rescued from burning boat - boats.com
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #15

[QUOTE=North Baltic sea;515501]Hi Ken,

"no smoke with out fire.

In any case, lit or not lit improperly installed heater is the risk of potential will you. and if you have installed the heater and the documentation says that the installation can only be made by authorized installer, you are really struggling to get compensation insurance"

The nearest installer is 600 miles (960K) away. Plus there are no roads to my location. I did consult with the authorized installer when planning the installation. Whatever I do to my boat has to be done by me as there is no one else here even if I had the money to pay them.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
akg.
Yup ya need to cover the hot things.
I think your install is fine except for the hot protection. I assume you're in compliance w the exhaust and inlet lengths and dia.
What's the issue w noise? E-Spar, Wabasto ect ect are all noisy. Where is your furnace and where is your exhaust? Got to figure out if the noise that's bothering you is from the furnace or the exhaust. Our exhaust is through the stern of the boat hull and the furnace is in a compartment just aft of the engine compartment. Fairly well isolated in our case and we have no objections to our Wabasto noise. If we were to entertain outside aft on our boat we would'nt like the exhaust noise. But if the Wabasto was on we would'nt be outside. If the furnace was in the closet near our bunks we wouldn'nt like that noise either.
Does your bad noise sound more like a jet engine whine or a reaction jet engine exhaust? The latter comes from jet like exhaust and the prior comes from turbine blades at high speed.
Once you discover the bad noise source a solution can be found. Wabasto offers a mufller of sorts I think. Check on their web site. Sound insulation panels can be installed around the furnace if the exhaust and air inlet are not compromised.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote