Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #21
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,819
"30amp boat, 2 resistance heaters. Dont turn on the stove or micro wave unless you like to be in the dark, no heaters, no stove."

OR install a couple of priority relays (Last I saw was about $60 each) that can turn off a heater as the more important load is switched on.
__________________
Advertisement

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #22
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"30amp boat, 2 resistance heaters. Dont turn on the stove or micro wave unless you like to be in the dark, no heaters, no stove."

OR install a couple of priority relays (Last I saw was about $60 each) that can turn off a heater as the more important load is switched on.
Not so sure it will work, in my case. The heaters are not on a separate circuit.
I would be interested in reading more. Would you please provide the URL?
__________________

__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:38 AM   #23
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,434
Heck, more than once at a marina I have awoken at 3 AM freezing because the 30A pedestal tripped at around 20A..... one heater and battery charger.

As a live aboard, somewhere between minimalust and luxury, even 2 30A circuits barely do it if for me if I need heat or air and do more than be underway, go to dinner and read till bedtime.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Heck, more than once at a marina I have awoken at 3 AM freezing because the 30A pedestal tripped at around 20A..... one heater and battery charger.

As a live aboard, somewhere between minimalust and luxury, even 2 30A circuits barely do it if for me if I need heat or air and do more than be underway, go to dinner and read till bedtime.
You might consider changing your onboard shore power breakers. Springs weaken over time.
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #25
Guru
 
Irish Rambler's Avatar
 
City: NARBONNE
Country: FRANCE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 853
Follow RT's advice and buy yourself some fleece lined slippers.
We use a blow towel heater on a timer which does the 2 jobs, heats the toilet compartment and gives a you nice warm towel, I also fitted an electric heating pad behind the mirror as I like a nice hot shave in a clear mirror when doing my ablutions.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. A. Good grief man. Buy a nice piece of carpet or wear slippers.
That seems like the simplest solution. I mean, how much time do people spend in the bathroom on a boat?

So some people are suggesting electric heat and some are suggesting hydronic. Electric assumes that you have 120 (or 240) volts available at all times and that the significant current draw would not be a problem.

Hydronic assumes that you have a hydronic heating system or are running the engine when using the bathroom. Either will work if your boat fits those criteria but personally, I'm going with the carpet or slippers. Much easier and much less expensive. If necessary, put the slippers in the microwave for a minute before you put them on.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #27
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,301
This:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schluter...hoCHDQQAvD_BwE

Initially expensive, but you can put in as much or as little as you want, at <8 watts per square foot.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
Guru
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Country: US
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
I use forced air in my hydronic heating instead of baseboards or radiators. Each area has one or two units with ducts distributing the air so there are no cold spots. In the heads, one duct points at the floor and floor has 1" of foam underneath. So even between heating cycles the floor stays warm.
Some other benefits to forced air, initial heating from a cold boat, near freezing, to comfort is several times faster than radiators. 20 minutes compared to 3+ hours. And with the addition of a chiller in the water lines, in the summer the same units can give cooling.
Attached Images
 
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #29
Guru
 
City: Fairport
Country: United States
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I use forced air in my hydronic heating instead of baseboards or radiators. Each area has one or two units with ducts distributing the air so there are no cold spots. In the heads, one duct points at the floor and floor has 1" of foam underneath. So even between heating cycles the floor stays warm.
Some other benefits to forced air, initial heating from a cold boat, near freezing, to comfort is several times faster than radiators. 20 minutes compared to 3+ hours. And with the addition of a chiller in the water lines, in the summer the same units can give cooling.
If I had to retrofit a boat, I do believe that running a couple of 3/4" liquid lines is much easier than finding space for 4" ducting to the nearest evap unit.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #30
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
This:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schluter...hoCHDQQAvD_BwE

Initially expensive, but you can put in as much or as little as you want, at <8 watts per square foot.
I can buy a lot of things to keep my feet warm for $530.
Argile socks and slippers etc.
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #31
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
You might consider changing your onboard shore power breakers. Springs weaken over time.
tough to know that as a transient.....until zero dark thirty....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #32
Guru
 
Benthic2's Avatar
 
City: Boston Area
Country: United States
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 823
Unisex Heated Slipper Boots | Brookstone
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 AM   #33
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Notice they are on clearance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #34
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,819
A winter liveaboard in a cold climate will need heat 24/7 probably for at least 100 days.

Whatever heat system does the work , expanding it to the head should not be hard.

My preference is the heated towel racks easy to install, and will take the chill off the area.

Priority relays are sold as individual items , there is no Kit or website to explain how to install the units.

Basically a lead is taken from the prime user , say the range on switch , that goes to the secondary user , a heater socket..

When the range is turned on the relay in the heater circuit shuts off.

A switched socket , say for a plug in microwave could be used for control of the relay.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 379
That can also be done by sensing the current draw of one appliance to turn another off (or on). For the past 20 or so years I've been using a power strip on my computer that turns on the monitor, powered speakers, etc. when the computer is turned on. It senses the power drawn by the computer to turn on the other devices. It could just as well turn them off with a little rewiring.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #36
Guru
 
City: CT
Country: US
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 735
I am looking for a current sensing relay, but user adjustable.

Both for when current is rising and falling.

To trigger a separate relay/contactor.

Any suggestions or links most appreciated.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #37
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

My preference is the heated towel racks easy to install, and will take the chill off the area.
We keep the entire house or boat reasonably warm, at least 68 degrees and typically 70 or 72 and that includes the head. So, the only time I'm cold is after showering. Hence towels. Warm towels any day over warm floors and while at it heating up some clothes too isn't bad in the winter. Of course, as my wife who is currently driving the car while I do this, pointed out, the heat of another body is always good too.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I am looking for a current sensing relay, but user adjustable.

Both for when current is rising and falling.

To trigger a separate relay/contactor.

Any suggestions or links most appreciated.
What I described above came from Radio Shack but probably twenty years ago. It's a power strip with one outlet for the device doing the controlling and four or five others that are switched on and off by power consumed by the controlling device. There's a sensitivity control.

I never took it apart but there's obviously a sensing device, sensitivity circuit and a relay.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #39
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 2008
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We keep the entire house or boat reasonably warm, at least 68 degrees and typically 70 or 72 and that includes the head. So, the only time I'm cold is after showering. Hence towels. Warm towels any day over warm floors and while at it heating up some clothes too isn't bad in the winter. Of course, as my wife who is currently driving the car while I do this, pointed out, the heat of another body is always good too.
Oh yes, I totally agree with your wife's statement. Nothing can equal the body heat of that one special person, pressed against you, under a nice heavy blanket or two.

AND, you may quote me on that too.
Daymn, I miss that.

Applications and pencils are on the table at the back of the room.
Please include a recent photograph.
__________________
I used to be a news junkie until I found this place.
Sooo, what's happening in the world and local news?
OldDan1943 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #40
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
under a nice heavy blanket or two.

.
Wifey B: We've never required blankets.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012