Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
The problem with sea water flush is that if you don't use the toilet for a while the water in the flush lines starts to stink. All kinds of organism in there die off. It's not a problem if the toilet is in daily use.
To expand on that statement, the organisms (creatures and plant life) die in the intake hose and the area around the rim of the head and then when you finally do flush the head, the flush water contains these dead organisms and the smell of them decaying.

The smell goes away after a few flushes but some organisms remain and the problem gets worse over time.

A partial solution to the problem is to install a filter as close to the seacock as is practical to trap the organisms. This at least keeps them from lodging in the hose and head passages.

It works for me.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #42
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Thanks Peggy, you will live on in the archives.

Lots of opinions are posted here, very few with the working knowledge that Peggy brought to the issues raised.She did not so much venture an opinion but told you what's what in the world of marine loos.

Peggy's moto 'Gare de l'eau'

Cheers,

Andy

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Thanks Peggy, you will live on in the archives.

Lots of opinions are posted here, very few with the working knowledge that Peggy brought to the issues raised.She did not so much venture an opinion but told you what's what in the world of marine loos.
Some of the "opinions" posted here are based on Peggy's writings.

One of the things that sets humans apart from other animals is our ability to learn from the experiences of others rather than making all the mistakes ourslves.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Some of the "opinions" posted here are based on Peggy's writings.

One of the things that sets humans apart from other animals is our ability to learn from the experiences of others rather than making all the mistakes ourslves.
Very good point. I have never understood the mindset of some people--- and there are at least two of them participating in this forum--- who totally discount any information that has not been experienced first hand by the person conveying he information. I have yet to meet anyone who knows everything about everything based on personal experience. But I "know" a lot of people with expert information from reading their writings (like Peggy's), meeting them, employing them, working with them, and so forth.

I find the "if you haven't experienced it directly you don't know it" attitude the same as saying, "Since you didn't discover that two and two equals four you have no business telling anyone else that it does."

And ironically, I've found the people who hold to this attitude to generally be the most ignorant in the room.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My only comment is that the marine business tends to be a closed loop.

These forums are all about how to solve problems and answer questions....to a point....and hopefully shed light outside that closed loop.

When "experts" from the marine field have something to gain by staying in lockstep with established practices that aren't regulated... because of possible allegiances with manufacturers...then that's where they fall short of being an expert in my view.

A good example might be a discussion about polyester resin and epoxy resin coating of a surface. If you have ties to the epoxy industry...anything less is insane...even if polyester in a particular application might be just fine and way less costly for a particular boater. Sure...epoxy is rarely the wrong answer...but it's not always the right/only answer.

Comments like using something inferior hurting the sale of a 25+ year old boat in less than perfect condition is just as silly....especially when there's no yardstick to measure whether the "alternative" product is really inferior.

So... the bottom line is... experts in the marine field certainly have their place...they just don't have the last word....and where I come from many consider me a "boating expert" but feel free to have the "last word"....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So... the bottom line is... experts in the marine field certainly have their place...they just don't have the last word....
It's been my observation that the marine industry--- like the fishing industry--- is very conservative, and I don't mean politically. Witness, for example, Bob Smith's continued adherence to his belief that Marvel Mystery Oil is essential to maintain the proper fuel lubricity for the FL120 in spite of the fact that a recent additive study sponsored by the trucking industry determined that MMO actually reduces fuel lubricity.

I'm not trying to discredit Bob--- few if any people on the planet know as much about Lehman marinizations than he does. I'm simply using this as another illustration of Psneeld's point.

Or the resistance of many boaters to the idea that a new anchor design can be as or more effective than the old standbys. Even experts in terms of longevity and experience on the water tend to mistrust newfangled things like rollbar anchors and such. There seems to be an inherent mistrust of "new" in the marine world. Not so much with the manufactureres, but in the users. I'm guilty of it myself in some ways.

It would be interesting to find out why the boating community in general is so resistive to change when it comes to new ideas about everything from anchors to oil.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's been my observation that the marine industry--- like the fishing industry--- is very conservative, and I don't mean politically. Witness, for example, Bob Smith's continued adherence to his belief that Marvel Mystery Oil is essential to maintain the proper fuel lubricity for the FL120 in spite of the fact that a recent additive study sponsored by the trucking industry determined that MMO actually reduces fuel lubricity.

I'm not trying to discredit Bob--- few if any people on the planet know as much about Lehman marinizations than he does. I'm simply using this as another illustration of Psneeld's point.

Or the resistance of many boaters to the idea that a new anchor design can be as or more effective than the old standbys. Even experts in terms of longevity and experience on the water tend to mistrust newfangled things like rollbar anchors and such. There seems to be an inherent mistrust of "new" in the marine world. Not so much with the manufactureres, but in the users. I'm guilty of it myself in some ways.

It would be interesting to find out why the boating community in general is so resistive to change when it comes to new ideas about everything from anchors to oil.
It's is weird...at first I thought that I might compare the marine world to aviation/space flight because when things go wrong...bad things usually happen...and like the air, water can be an unforgiving environment.

But that's not true..aviation/aviators usually embrace advances and move ahead quickly..so that isn't a fair comparison. As a shipboard helo pilot we used to joke when having those "friendly" jib-jab sessions aboard with the ship guys that no matter what...the reason we disagreed was that we thought at 120 knots while they were thinking at 12 knots... Hope now that I'm a trawler guy I haven't slowed to 6.5 knots!!!

Maybe it's just that there's not enough feedback that is trusted/repeatable.

Autos have millions on the road everyday. Aviation files detailed reoprts on every little thing. But in the marine world..too many variables I guess. There's a post I just read where a guy said he was having trouble anchoring in a particular spot with a new gen anchor. Sounded like he did everything right and it still kept breaking out. Yet others anchor there all the time. My response would have been..I probably would have to be there to see what was going on...completely useless info to the guy and I learned nothing from his experience because I have no clue if his post was accurate, his technique is "the same" as what everyone else suggests other than his short version post, etc...etc.

So.... the best thing to come along for the boating industry probably is the internet...at least we can form an opinion based on many tidbits rather than just what the "old salts" at the dock or a wad of prolific writers in marine mags say..
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #48
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
It would be interesting to find out why the boating community in general is so resistive to change when it comes to new ideas about everything from anchors to oil.[/QUOTE]

That needs a new post in its own right
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
That needs a new post in its own right[/QUOTE]

It's not resistant to change, it's just that some people get on web forums just to argue. Kind of like sitting in a bar drinking.

This thread is way off track like so many others on this site. A bunch of guys bumping dick heads,
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That needs a new post in its own right
It's not resistant to change, it's just that some people get on web forums just to argue. Kind of like sitting in a bar drinking.

This thread is way off track like so many others on this site. A bunch of guys bumping dick heads,[/QUOTE]

kinda like this post....just a retort with no new info AT ALL....either on the OP post or any other....some people don't even know when they are THE argumentative one....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

This thread is way off track like so many others on this site. A bunch of guys bumping dick heads,
....some people don't even know when they are THE argumentative one....[/QUOTE]

That's very true. I suggest looking in a mirror.